Love Can Stand

Love Can Stand

A Story by Scarlet Letter
"

Another old piece of mine

"
Heavy, dark they rush across the sky at top speed. Bulging with what is to come. In one moment they burst open and cold, hard liquid falls quickly to the ground, pelting and penetrating everything in its path. The wind picks up, blowing everything into chaos. Dust blows everywhere, finding it's way in to my eyes and nose. The wind is blowing every way all at the same time. There are no animals here, none would survive. The ground is cracked and barren, except for the few scraggly trees. It is dark; black. Lightening flashes across the sky, splitting it in two. Thunder rolls loud and long. It sounds like a monster, hiding in the clouds, waiting for its prey to come. 
There's no where to run, no where to hide from this great and terrible beast. I stand there waiting, waiting for someone to rescue me from this storm. I look for a light, any warmth to escape to. It is just out of my reach, but I cannot move. "No one cares, just give up" is what echoes everywhere around me, not coming from just one source. I am just about to give in, give up hope of ever escaping this horror. Suddenly an image flashes across the sky. A bright light, something clear in all of this madness. It is a picture of a face. It seems familiar for some reason. It is a person from long ago, someone I had almost forgotten but could never really leave my mind. 
His eyes are full of fear, worry and sadness. He is pacing around a room, it looks like a hospital. He sits in a chair beside a bed. There's someone in the bed, a woman; helpless, vulnerable, not moving. She looks familiar as well, I think i knew her once. He takes a hold of her hand, gently caressing it. He gazes intently, waiting for her eyes to open, if only for a second. Dark circles have gathered beneath his eyes, he hasn't slept in days. I cannot hear him but his lips move in the same pattern over and over again; I love you. I love you. I love you. 
Why doesn't she look at him? Can't she see he loves her? I want to be there, be with him. The chaos around me grows worse, the voices become louder, beckoning me to joind them, to give in. I close my eyes but the voices are in my head, coursing through my veins, chanting to the beat of my heart. My eyes open and the man is rising. He's going to leave her! Her hand slips from his grasp and he starts to turn. The thunder is overwhelmingly loud and I feel as though I am going to explode. The lightening tries to strike the image, attempting to get rid of it; it glances off. I must stop that man from leaving, she needs him or she will certainly die. There will be nothing left to fight for. Everything spins around my head. I cannot see anything clearly anymore but him walking away. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. "NO!" I scream at the top of my lungs. In an instant the storm is over. No more wind, no more rain, no more noise, just a constant beeping. I feel incredible pain in my head, chest and legs but I don't care. 
My eyes flutter open and I search intently for the man. I try to move as I see him reach for the door handle but the pain is intolerable and I let out a gasp. He quickly turns, hearing the quiet sound, and runs back to the bedside. He takes my hand and I realize that I am the girl in the bed. Tears spring to my eyes as I see relief and love fill the eyes of the man beside me. He whispers "I love you. I love you. I love you." Everything will be ok as long as we have each other.

© 2010 Scarlet Letter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a nice short story. It really comes together in the last paragraph. Now I've only written like 4 short stories and I'm working on my 5th, but this by far beats mine. This is amazing such beautiful and raw emotion expressed.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 30, 2010
Last Updated on October 1, 2010
Tags: trapped, coma, love

Author

Scarlet Letter
Scarlet Letter

Canada



About
I love art of all forms. The types I practice are writing, charcoal/oil pastels, music, photography, and more. Every time I look at something I see if it would be best as a picture, drawing, poem, or .. more..

Writing