Completed Chapter 42: "First impressions"

Completed Chapter 42: "First impressions"

A Story by Nariko
"

Chapter 42 of Completed

"

Itsuki walked into the dining room. His father was sitting at the dinner table. There were two bowls full of steaming hot ramen. Chopsticks and napkins were placed neatly next to them. His father asked, “Did you finish all your homework?” Itsuki scratched his head and said, “Yeah, sorry it took me a while to finish.” His father said, “It’s okay. While you were doing your homework, I decided to order some ramen for dinner.” Itsuki sat down at the table. Itsuki stared at the ramen and said, “It’s quite unusual for you to order ramen for dinner. You usually order non-Japanese foods. Is it for some special occasion?” His father said, “During work, ramen kept popping in my head. I guess I was just craving it. I mean it’s been ages since we last had any. Let’s start eating our dinner.”



Itsuki and his father both put their hands together. They both said, “Thank you for the meal.” They broke apart the wooden disposable chopsticks. They began slurping the noodles. Itsuki could taste the rich and hearty broth. Itsuki said, “This tastes incredible. Where did you order it?” His father said, “I ordered from a place called Yamato ramen. I heard from a coworker that they order from there because of their special handmade ramen noodles. And they’re right!” Itsuki continued to chew his noodles. He sipped some of the broth from the bowl. Itsuki said, “Hey dad, Can I ask you something?” His father said, “Yeah sure. What is it?” Itsuki said, “Tomorrow, I’m going to meet my girlfriend’s parents. Do you have any advice on how to make a good first impression?”



His father quickly gulped down his noodles. Itsuki said, “I wasn’t sure to ask you this question. I thought it might make you uncomfortable because of your divorce with mom. But I couldn’t think of anyone to ask for advice.” His father put down his chopstick on the bowl. He wiped his mouth with the napkin. He said, “I am okay with you asking me this question. It doesn’t make me uncomfortable. The divorce was just something that happened a long time ago. It doesn’t affect me anymore. I learned to forgive myself and her.” Itsuki said with relief, “That’s good.” His father said, “Were you thinking a lot about how the divorce affected me?” Itsuki said, “From time to time.” His father said, “I see. Thanks for worrying about me, Itsuki.” 



Itsuki shyly looked away from his father and whispered, “You’re welcome.” His father chuckled to himself and said, “I know this would be a sudden change of topic but going back to meeting your girlfriend’s parents. Is your girlfriend the one with the dark sandy hair? I briefly saw her one time at the school career event.” Itsuki said, “Yeah that’s her. Her name is Rie.” His father gave a thumbs up. Itsuki became confused and asked, “Why the thumbs up?” His father said, “I approve.” Itsuki said shocked, “That easily? You haven’t really got to know her yet.” His father said, “I don’t need to. I trust your judgment. I’m sure she’s a nice girl.” Itsuki immediately beamed. His father smiled back and said, “So you asked advice about how to make a good impression for Rie’s parents?” Itsuki nodded earnestly. His father said, “You can try getting some gifts for her parents. It doesn’t have to be expensive but it can be anything like some snacks. This would show how thoughtful you are.” 



Itsuki said, “I can try that but what if I accidentally buy something they don’t like?” His father said, “You should ask your girlfriend about that.” Itsuki said, “Right. I will ask her later. Anything else?” His father said, “When you introduce yourself, it’s okay to be nervous. I think all that matters if you look presentable and treat her family with respect. If you try too hard, it’s going to come off the wrong way. Just be yourself.” Itsuki bobs his head and said, “That’s some reasonable advice.” His father got up from his chair. He patted his shoulder and said, “I know you will do just fine. It will be okay.” Itsuki said, “Thank you dad.” His father said, “Anytime. Since today, it’s my turn to wash the dishes. Can you put your bowl and chopstick in the sink?” Itsuki said, “I will!” His father said, “Good. I’m going to watch the basketball tournament.” He heads to the living room. 



Itsuki continued to slurp the rest of his noodles. Itsuki suddenly felt a vibration noise in his pocket. Itsuki took out his phone and clicked the notification. It was a message from Rie. Rie said, “Nervous about tomorrow?” Itsuki put down his chopsticks on the napkin. Itsuki typed, “Yeah I am but my dad gave me some advice. *cat giving a thumbs up sticker*” Rie replied, “Oh, what kind of advice?” Itsuki said, “He said how I should get a gift for your parents. And how important it is to be myself and treat your family with respect.” Rie said, “That’s some good advice! I think you will do fine! *smiling cat emoji*” Itsuki said, “I hope so! *nervous cat sticker* Speaking of gifts, Do you know what kind of gifts your parents would like?” Rie said, “Hm... well my parents are quite simple with what they like. My mom likes to eat cream puffs. My dad likes to eat flan.” Itsuki said, “They both seem to love sweet things.” Rie said, “Well because in their research work, they use a lot of their brains. They always say sugar is the best boost of energy for their brains.” Itsuki said, “Makes sense! I will try to buy cream puffs and flan early in the morning! I’m meeting at your house at around 11:30 am right?” Rie sends a cat sticker saying yes! 



Itsuki messaged back, “I can’t wait to see you tomorrow! *heart emoji*” Rie replied, “Me too! *cat holding I love you sticker*” Itsuki instantly grinned and said to himself, “How cute.” Itsuki put his phone down on the table. Itsuki carried his bowl, chopsticks, and napkin. Itsuki placed them into the sink and threw the napkin in the garbage can. Itsuki thought, “I know that the convenience store near my house sells flan but where can I buy cream puffs?” 



Itsuki walked back to the table and picked up his phone. Itsuki walked back into his room. His room had a large bed with white pillows and gray covers. He had a glass computer desk in the center of the room. A silver computer screen was sitting on the desk. There were a few games and books on the dark wooden shelf. Itsuki sat in his black mesh office chair. Itsuki placed his phone next to him. He shook his white mouse. The computer screen lit up. There were several web pages open. He clicked on a new tab and searched, “fresh cream puffs near me.” A bunch of results showing nearby bakeries selling cream puffs appeared. Itsuki checked out each result and said to himself, “This one is too far away. This one doesn’t have good reviews. This isn’t open till after 11:30 am.” Itsuki kept looking through the bakeries results till he found one that caught his eye. He said, “This is perfect. It opens early and is close by. It even has good reviews.”  



Itsuki checked the route to take to the bakery from his house. Itsuki said, “Oh the convenience store is on the same route. I can get the flan first then head to the bakery!” Itsuki exited the website and said, “I should be prepared for tomorrow.” His phone vibrated on his desk. Itsuki checked his phone. It was a message from Hiroyuki, “Do you want to play some Conqueror now?” Itsuki replied, “Sure. Is it just me and you?” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah it’s been a while since the two of us played together. Do you want to hop on call while playing?” Itsuki said, “Yeah I will get there in a sec.” Hiroyuki said, “Sounds good.” Itsuki put on his black headphones that were lying behind the computer. They were already plugged in the computer. He put them on and pulled the microphone hidden inside the headphone. 



Itsuki opened the chicord icon and saw Hiroyuki waiting by himself in the server. Itsuki joined the call and said, “Hey, I’m here.” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah hello. How are you doing?” Itsuki said, “I’m doing fine. I’m just feeling a bit nervous meeting Rie’s parents tomorrow.” Itsuki started to load up his game. Hiroyuki said, “Oh yeah, that can be nerve wracking. Are you going to do anything special to impress her parents?” Itsuki said, “Yeah I’m going to buy them some desserts. My dad suggested getting a gift makes a good first impression and I asked Rie what her parents’ favorite desserts were. I think I should be okay with that.” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah that’s good.” Itsuki asked, “So, what are we doing?” Hiroyuki said, “I want to try fighting in the new challenge stage where you have to fight three boss stages at once. I thought it would be fun if we did it together.” Itsuki said, “Yeah I am up for it. Let’s go!” Itsuki and Hiroyuki spent the next few hours trying to defeat the three boss stages back to back. Itsuki said, “This is much harder than I thought but we are getting closer to predicting their moves and avoiding their attacks!” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah definitely. What time do you have to wake up tomorrow?” Itsuki said, “I plan on waking up around 10 am.” Hiroyuki said, “Right now it’s almost 1 am. I’m afraid if we play any longer, you won’t be getting much sleep for tomorrow.” Itsuki said, “Ah well we can try one more time and then I will head to bed.” Hiroyuki said, “Alright, if that’s fine with you.” 



One hour later, they defeated the three boss stages. Itsuki stretched his arm and said, “Man that was intense. I was sweating. I thought we weren’t going to make it.” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah I’m glad I stocked up on a lot of potions. You did great evading almost all the final boss attacks!” Itsuki said, “Yeah but it’s thanks to you landing the final blow that we were able to defeat it.” Hiroyuki said, “Thanks!” Itsuki said, “Yeah, no worries! I’m going to head off now. It was fun playing with you today. We should do this more often. It’s fun to play with the girls but playing with my guy friend is totally different!” Hiroyuki said, “Yeah I can see where you’re coming from. Good luck tomorrow! Let me know how that goes. Good night Itsuki!” Itsuki said, “Yeah good night Hiroyuki!” They both left the call. Itsuki took his headphones off and placed them on his desk. Itsuki set an alarm on his phone for 10 am. Itsuki yawned and went to brush his teeth. Itsuki turned off the light and headed to the bed.



The next morning, his phone ranged. Itsuki dressed in his black sweatshirt with a beige topcoat. He wore light gray pants and black lace up boots. Itsuki went to the bathroom mirror to comb his dark brown hair neatly. Itsuki checked to make sure his clothes didn’t have any dust on it. Itsuki walked out of the house. He headed to the convenience store to buy some flan and an egg sandwich for breakfast. While walking to the bakery, he opened the wrapped sandwich and ate it. When he was done with it, he crumpled the wrapper and placed it in his pocket. There was a line to the bakery. Itsuki said, “Well this place had good reviews, it’s expected there would be a few people waiting.” After ten minutes of waiting, he got the cream puffs. Itsuki headed to the train station. He swiped his card through the turnstile machine. Itsuki walked further in the station and noticed a trash can. He threw out his wrapper. The announcer said, “The train should be arriving in the station now.” Itsuki said, “Perfect timing.” 



The train arrived at the station. Itsuki got on the train and scrolled through his phone. He pulled up the route to get to Rie’s house. He said to himself, “Okay, I get off in five stops and walk about five minutes from the station.” After being on the train for twenty minutes, Itsuki got off the train. Itsuki checked to make sure he got off at the right stop. Itsuki said, “Alright that’s good.” He continued to follow the route to her house. Itsuki said, “I think this is the house. I remember Rie saying her house was two floors and colored beige.” Itsuki gulped and walked at the doorstop. Itsuki rang the doorbell. A gentle femine voice asked, “Who is it?” Itsuki said, “It’s Itsuki. I’m Rie’s boyfriend.” The voice said, “Oh Itsuki, I will open the door for you.” Itsuki’s heartbeat started to beat quicker. 



The wooden door started to slowly unlock and open. Itsuki saw a petite skinny lady with sandy brown hair tied in a ponytail. Itsuki thought, “Oh that’s Rie’s mother!” Itsuki bowed and said, “It’s nice to meet Rie's mother. Thank you for allowing me to come visit today!” Rie’s mom said, “You don’t need to act formal. Come in! And you can call me Chie.” Itsuki walked inside the house and took his outdoor shoes off. Chie handed him some indoor slippers to wear. Itsuki wore them. A cheerful mascline voice came from upstairs and asked, “Is that Itsuki who’s in our house now?” Chie said, “Yes, dear.” Itsuki suddenly heard a heavy set of footsteps coming downstairs. A tall and chubby black hair man with a mustache rushed from the stairs. When he stood in front of Itsuki, Itsuki felt a bit intimidated. Itsuki thought, “I never stood in front of him before but I didn’t realize he was this tall.” He bent down and put his hand out. He said, “I’m so excited to finally meet you Itsuki! My name is Aito.” Itsuki shook his hand and said, “Yes, we never really got to talk at the school career event.” 



Itsuki stared at his face and thought, “He looks pretty friendly and welcoming.” Aito said, “I hope we have plenty of time to get to know you today!” Itsuki said, “Me too. I also bought you two things.” Itsuki handed Aito the desserts. Aito’s eyes lit up and said, “Oh what is it?” He opened the bag to see flan and cream puffs. Aito exclaimed, “Ohh flan! My favorite!” Aito was about to grab one. Chie lightly smacked his hand and said, “You’re not a barbarian! Eat the flan in the kitchen.” Aito nodded and said, “Okay dear. I will set up plates for dessert.” Aito headed to the kitchen. 



Chie noticed that Itsuki was still standing in the doorway. Chie said, “Come on in.” Chie quickly closed the door. Itsuki walked into the house. There were a lot of plants and flowers near every window. The living room was located in front of the entryway. One large black leather sofa was sitting across the flat screen television. Itsuki headed further into the house and saw Aito setting down plates on the table. Aito grinned and said, “If you’re looking for Rie, she’s in the backyard with her grandma.” Itsuki bowed and said, “Thanks!” Aito said, “You just need to walk straight down.” Itsuki said, “Alright, straight down.” Aito said, “When you see Rie and her grandma, can you tell them to come inside for some lunch?” Itsuki said, “Yeah I can do that.” Aito smiled. 



Itsuki strolled to the end of the house. A white glass patio door stood in front of him. As he got closer to the door, he noticed Rie talking to her grandma who was sitting in a wheelchair. Itsuki opened the door. A steel ramp was placed below the door. Some slippers laid next to the ramp. Itsuki slipped his feet into one of them. Rie had her back turned. Itsuki quietly headed over to her. Itsuki thought to himself, “I should surprise her by covering her eyes. It would be so cute to see her reaction!” Itsuki smirked and was about to cover her eyes. Rie suddenly stretched one of her arms out. Her arm whacked him in the face. Itsuki immediately covered his face and grunted from pain. Rie turned around and exclaimed, “Oh! Sorry Itsuki! I didn’t know you were behind me. Are you okay?” Itsuki groaned, “Yeah it’s fine. I should have been careful next time.” 



Her grandma asked, “Is there someone with you, Rie?” Rie said, “Yeah, it’s my boyfriend Itsuki.” Itsuki beamed from hearing that. Her grandma pressed a button on her wheelchair to turn around and face him. Her grandma wore a knitted beige cardigan with a floral pattern and brown cotton pants. Itsuki bowed and said, “It’s nice to meet you!” Her grandma asked, “Can I get a closer look at your face?” Itsuki bent down. Her grandma touched his face and stared deeply into his green eyes. She said, “You have gentle eyes. They remind me of my late husband.” Itsuki asked, “Do you miss him?” She said, “Yes, I miss him everyday. But I’m not alone. I still have my family here with me.” Itsuki smiled and said, “I’m glad to hear that.” She slowly let go of his face. She said, “Rie, this one is good. He’s a keeper.” Rie’s face became flushed. Her grandma winked and said, “I am going to head back inside. I don’t want to interrupt your alone time with your handsome boyfriend.” Rie whined, “Grandma, it’s fine! You can stay.” Her grandma said, “Don’t worry about me. Just have fun. I will let your parents know that you will be eating later.” 



Her grandma controlled her electric wheelchair to go towards the ramp. She opened the door and headed inside the house. She said, “Rie, can you help me shut the door?” Rie said, “Yes, coming.” Rie went over to close the patio door. Rie walked back to Itsuki. They both stared at one another. Rie asked, “How was meeting my parents?” Itsuki said, “It went better than I expected. I think I did okay.” Rie stood on her tiptoes and held his face. Rie said in a soft tone, “I knew you could do it.” Itsuki placed his hands on top of hers and said in a warmhearted tone, “It’s thanks to my sweet girlfriend.” Rie tenderly smiled. As Itsuki was steadily leaning in, Rie began closing her eyes. Itsuki gently pressed his lips against her lips. Itsuki released his lips away. He stared at her bashful expression.



Itsuki smiled and said, “You’re blushing a lot.” Rie said confused, “I am?” She patted her cheeks and said, “I don’t know why but I feel really nervous. It’s not like this is our first kiss together.” Itsuki stroked her head and asked, “Are you nervous because we are kissing at your house?” Rie said, “I think so. I am a bit worried my parents would catch us kissing?” Itsuki asked, “Are your parents against us doing things like that?” Rie said, “No, not really. It’s just… I don’t want them to watch us kissing. It feels kinda awkward. I just like to share the moment with you.” Itsuki said, “Are you saying that you like it when we kiss in private?” Rie nodded her head. Itsuki grinned and said, “Alright. When we are at your house, we won’t kiss. But once we leave your house, I’m going to kiss you a lot to make up for it. Does that sound okay with you?” Rie said joyfully, “Yes, that’s perfectly okay with me!” 



Itsuki giggled and said, “You sound very eager about it. Do you like my kisses that much?” Rie beamed and said in a confident tone, “Yeah I love it very much.” Itsuki’s eyes softened. He leaned in to kiss her one more time. Itsuki said, “Sorry. When you said it like that, I couldn’t help myself. That’s the last time we will kiss in your house.” Rie’s cheeks become rosy red. Itsuki firmly held her hand and said, “Let’s head back inside. We have been here for a while.” Rie bobbed her head. They went back inside the house and walked to the kitchen. Aito was using a spray bottle to water a flower sitting on the windowsill. Aito said, “You’re finally back. Let’s start eating.”



They went to the dining table. Chie was peeling some tangerines for grandma. They sat down at the wooden table. There was a plate with spaghetti arranged from each person. In the middle of a table, there’s a bowl filled with bread. Itsuki sat next to Rie. Rie’s parents sat next to one another. Chie said, “Itsuki, If you ever need more spaghetti, just ask! I also baked some fresh garlic bread. You can take some.” Itsuki said, “Thanks! It looks great.” They began eating the spaghetti together. Aito said happily, “Honey, you best yourself again. This is the best spaghetti you've ever made!” Chie said, “That’s what you say every time. I haven’t done anything special to it. It’s the same old recipe.” Aito laughed and said, “Because I love the food you make.” Chie blushed and said a bit embarrassed, “You’re always so direct.” Aito winked and said in a flirty tone, “Well you know, I can’t hide how I feel.” Rie snickered and said, “Dad, you’re so corny.” Aito said in a proud tone, “I am always going to be corny. It’s just who I am!” Rie said, “Yup, that’s what makes you so cool.” Aito gave a thumbs up and said, “Damn right.”



Aito looked at Itsuki and said, “I didn’t have the chance to ask you this earlier but what do you love about Rie?” Rie darted her eyes at Itsuki and excitedly anticipated his answer. Itsuki said, “Everything. From how patient and caring she is. And how she always put her friends first. I’m proud to be her boyfriend.” Rie immediately grinned. Aito and Chie both look at one another. They smiled and nodded. Aito said, “We support you dating our daughter Rie. Treasure her and take good care of her!” Itsuki said, “I will! Thank you for your support.” Aito said, “Now it’s time to bring out the dessert!” Chie said, “But we just started eating lunch. Dessert can wait!” Aito exclaimed, “It will be just a nibble! You know how much I was looking forward to the flan. And I know how much you were looking forward to eating the cream puff. You kept eyeing it.” 



Chie sighed and said, “Fine.. just a bite.” Aito said happily, “Yay!” Aito asked, “What do you all want? Cream puff or flan?” Rie said, “I take a flan.” Itsuki said, “I will try the creampuff.” Her grandma said, “I will take both.” Chie said, “You know what I want.” Aito said, “Okay, let me get it for you guys. Aito went into the kitchen to serve the flan and cream puffs on small ceramic plates. Aito gave everyone what they wanted. They all took a bite of their desserts. They all said together, “Delicious!” Itsuki said, “I’m glad you all like it.” Chie said, “Yes, it’s been a while since I last had a cream puff. I have been putting myself on a strict diet because I've been gaining some weight from eating too many sweets.” Aito said in a reassuring tone, “Honey, you’re fine! You look great!” Chie said, “Yeah I know but it doesn’t hurt to cut back on my sugar intake.” Aito said, “Yeah, well it doesn’t hurt to treat ourselves once in a while.” Chie said, “You treat yourself too much.” Aito gulps and says, “Yeah, I’m guilty. But I will try to cut back on eating sweets.” Chie sqinted and said unconvinced, “Would you really?” Aito said, “Yes! After today, I will.” Chie said, “Alright but after we finish eating, I’m going to take away your secret stash of sweets.” Aito whined, “Noooo, not that!” Chie said, “But you promised you wouldn’t eat anymore after today.” Aito said, “I plan on eating those on special occasions.” Rie chuckled and said, “You can’t win against mom. Just give up dad.” Itsuki glanced at her face. Rie noticed him staring and looked back into his eyes. They both smiled at one another. 



© 2021 Nariko


Author's Note

Nariko
ignore grammar problems, please tell me what you think of it? I hope you enjoy chapter 42 and thank you for waiting patiently for each chapter! I would also like to shoutout to my friends who help me edit all my chapters! I created a discord group that I can give you updates when a new chapter comes out. Here's the link to my group: https://discord.gg/vyQrfME

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on December 31, 2021
Last Updated on December 31, 2021
Tags: romance, anime-like story, gamers, comedy, highschool students, family, friends, conflict, some cursing words, anime

Author

Nariko
Nariko

New york, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
I like to watch anime,and read manga.I want to try posting some anime stories online.I wrote some stories myself but I don't let people read my stories because I think it's horrible.I would like to kn.. more..

Writing