Proloug

Proloug

A Chapter by Katherine
"

Introduction to Spirit

"

"Spirit! Spirit, time for supper!" shouted a middle-aged, heavy set man from a small, 1-story house.

"Coming!" I yelled running though the empty street towards the man.

"Spirit, what have you gotten into this time?" the man asked sternly as he looked at my dirty face and my bruised, bloody knuckles.

"It’s nothing, Buddy. Really." I assured the worried man.

"You’re bleeding." Buddy said looking at my cut brow.

"I’m ok. Buddy, you don’t have to worry." I said, swatting his hand away from my brow.

"Come to the kitchen." he said with a sigh and lead me into the small house towards the kitchen. He turned the faucet to warm water and then soaked a white washcloth. I took a seat on one of our wooden dining chairs. Buddy placed the warm rag on my cut and held it.

"What happened?" He finally said

"Well...there were these guys." I started

"And?" He asked, removing the cloth to place a bandage on the small cut.

"They were picking on this little girl who was crying."

"So, you fought with them?" He asked, washing the dirt off of my face.

"I couldn’t let them tease her like that. Buddy, they were saying some mean things to her." I explained

"Ok, ok,. I believe you. As long as you be careful and stay out of trouble. Now get ready for dinner."

 

I hopped down from the chair and went to my bedroom. I gently closed the wooden door and then walked across the small room towards a medium brown chest with my dresses inside. I changed out of my dirty, once-white peasant dress into a lace, green dress with red roses. I then went back into the kitchen.

Buddy had sat down two plates on each side of the table. He was sitting across the table, waiting for me to sit down. I looked at the strange-deformed food on my plate and began to poke it with my fork. "Umm...Buddy, what is this?" I asked still poking the wiggly, brown meat.

"That is my newest recipe. It’s called Pork Rye. I bought the meat at a good, cheap price at the market." he said happily, "Go ahead, try some. It’s good."

"...OK," I said uncertainly as I tasted the meat. I made a disgusted face as I swallowed the spicy meat. "It’s good." I lied, giving him a small smile.

As we finished our dinner, the front door slammed open and in barged two guards and a middle-aged woman. The lady had wavy, dark brown hair down to her shoulders and she wore a red medieval dress down to her ankles.

"What’s the meaning of this?!" Buddy commanded as he quickly stood up.

"Buddy, honey, listen to me. That...that girl is a threat to society. She needs to be put in the Prophit’s care." The lady said walking up to Buddy.

"Kyra, you know that I cannot let th-" Buddy began but stopped as Kyra kissed him on the lips.

"The Prophits will take care of her. Then you can get your life back and be happy with me." She cooed and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Kyra, I’m her guardian, her caretaker." he responded stepping out of her grip.

"So? The Prophits will be her guardian and they will make her control that weird power of hers." she said kissing him again.

"Buddy!" I yelled running towards him, but a guard snatched me up and pulled me away. "Let me go!" I yelled, struggling to break free.

"Please don’t hurt her!" Buddy pleaded, pushing past Kyra towards the guard.

"Buddy, it’s the law! She cannot live in this town!" Kyra yelled, annoyed. She then ordered the second guard to help with the first, who held me.

"There is no such law!" I shouted still struggling from the guards’ grasp.

"What do you know? You ungrateful brat!" Kyra snapped giving me a harsh glare.

"On who’s orders?" Asked Buddy, staring at Kyra.

"My orders!" answered a strict voice from the opened doorway. The person stepped into the kitchen and everyone went silent.

It was a broad-sized woman with greyish hair that was tied tightly into a bun. She wore a brown, medieval dress, as well as Kyra’s.

"Mrs. Genohevia!" yelled Buddy, shocked.

"The Prophits made it perfectly clear to me that they want her in their possession." Mrs. Genohevia said in a stern tone. Tears formed in my eyes as I glanced back and forth between Mrs. Genohevia, Kyra and Buddy.

"What will happen to me?" I managed to ask, my voice shaking.

"You will stay with The Prophits until Nightmare is defeated and the threat of destruction in your upcoming powers have perished. Only then will you be free of their grasp." explained Mrs. Genohevia.

"But, Mrs. G, that might take forever!" I yelled, trying again to pull away from the guards, but they held me by my upper arms tightly and didn’t notice my struggling.

"Then you are staying with them forever!" Kyra snapped, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"When does she leave?" Buddy asked sadly.

"But, Buddy!" I yelled, shocked as I couldn’t believe the words I heard.

"Tomorrow morning." Mrs. Genohevia answered.

"Wait a minute! You said it was tonight!" Kyra yelled angrily.

"It’s only fair that say good-bye." replied Mrs. Genohevia, her tone becoming softer. She turned to face me and gestured the guards with her hand to release me. They did so and I fell to the wooden floor. "Have her ready to leave right in the morning. Kyra come with me, we need to go over some things." she commanded as she and the two guards exited the house.

"This is for the best, Buddy." Kyra said smiling and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. The door closed behind her as she left. Buddy slumped down in one of the kitchen chairs and his brown eyes were filled with sadness.

"Buddy?" I said, wiping the tears away from my eyes.

"Spirit, you are like a daughter to me and I was more then happy to raise you. I know the circumstances when I took you in and I didn’t care. I love you, Spirit, and I would never let any harm come to you. I promised your mother that." He stared at the floor, in deep thought.

"Buddy..."

"I can’t protect you anymore." he said sadly

"What are you saying?" I asked confused and scared.

"I’m in my late thirties and I’m not as strong as I once was. Spirit, you are twelve years old and a fine young lady. I believe in you and I know you will make the right choices. You have a good heart, like your mother." he smiled slightly and looked at me.

"Buddy...I..." I began but couldn’t find the words to say.

"Come with me." he said getting up and heading towards his bedroom that was across from mine. I followed him. He went to his closet and pulled out a small chest. He sat it down on the bed and opened it with a small key, which he kept in his top drawer. I watched in curiosity as he pulled out a silver chain with a decorative locket, and a small, white-gold ring. He closed the chest and re-locked it as he placed it back into the closet.

"Buddy?" I asked as I watched him pull out a brown pouch from his drawer.

"Spirit, I only want what’s best for you and for you to live a long, happy life." he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Buddy, I want to..."

"I’m sending you to Shepardson." he spoke, cutting me off.

"I...I don’t understand."

"I’m not letting them take you. You can live in Shepardson and have a better life, then letting that organization lock you up." he motioned for me to come closer to him and then he brushed a strand of my Brownish-red hair behind my ear. He smiled a warm smile as he hugged me tightly. "Here is 50gp and also take these as well. It costs 30gp to enter the town and the rest is to get you settled." He handed me the pouch with the coins and the jewelry.

"What about these?" I asked rubbing my thumb over the smooth locked and staring into the ring’s aquamarine gem.

The gem had a silver wolf howling at a crescent moon embedded inside. On the ring’s right side was a crescent moon with a small star and the name "Shelina" above, near the gem. The left side was a portrait of a wolf’s head. I twirled the ring through my fingers and read the inside. It as well had the name "Shelina" scripted inside.

"These belonged to your mother." Buddy answered, watching me.

"They were?" I asked, still fascinated on the ring.

"Yes and she treasured them greatly. Before she died, she told me to give them to you when you were older. You are still young, but I think now is the time." He explained taking the locket from me.

"What do you mean?" I asked looking up at him. He smiled again and put the locket around my neck.

"I mean, you are ready to inherit them."

"They are so beautiful!" I exclaimed, looking at the silver locket. It was an oval shape that had a full bloomed rose indented on the front. Inside was a picture of a young woman with long, wavy curls that were golden blonde with a pale tent. Her eyes were a sparkling, deep blue and she had the most peaceful smile upon her face.

"Tha...that’s my mom?" I asked looking toward Buddy.

"Yes, that’s Shelina." He nodded. His eyes started to feel with sorrow again. "She had that locket since she was only a child. She never took it off and she cherished it so much. Her mother, your grandmother, gave it to her right before she died."

"What about the ring?"

"Well...originally that was your other grandmother, on your father’s side. It was a gift from your father, Jake, to protect your mother from any harm. It’s a special ring with great power, but only a Lycanthrope can posses it’s true power."

"Huh?" I asked confused.

"It has a protection charm enchanted upon it to ward off any evil curses. The person who wears it will be safe from any black or dark magic. But If a Lycanthrope wears it, they will possess more power. On a night with a full moon the ring absorbs the moon’s light and transfers the energy to your power, enhancing your abilities. Also it contains many other secrets that I, myself, don’t know of." He explained.

"Cool, but what’s a leakanthrop?"

"It’s, Lie-can-thrope, a wolf-shape shifter like yourself." he said with a small laugh.

"Oh..." I said understanding little by little, "But, mom isn’t a wolf like me. How did she use it?"

"She didn’t use it. It’s protection charm protected her. Jake, your father, gave it to her so that she would be safe. It too, is an heirloom as the locket. I assume it was passed down from Lycanthrope family members. You, Spirit, are the next person to inherit these and they are yours now." He explained, patiently. He took the ring from me and held my hand as he put it on my right ring finger. "It now will recognize you as it’s new owner."

"What do you mean, recognize?"

"Look at the ring again." He said smiling. I glanced back at the ring and I was surprised that the name "Shelina" was replaced by "Spirit".

"Wow! It says my name!" I exclaimed, astonished.

"Take care, Spirit. I will always love you." he said softly, his voice filled with sorrow.

"Buddy, will I ever see you again?" I asked sadly, looking into his brown eyes.

"Spirit, I..." He turned his gaze away for a few seconds and looked down. "Come here." he opened his arms to hold me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and began to cry.

I didn’t want to go. I didn’t want to leave the only family I ever known. The man who raised me since I was six years old.



© 2009 Katherine


Author's Note

Katherine
This is only the prolouge, but how do you like it so far? Oh and sorry if there is any misspelling or any other errors I may have missed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on May 28, 2009


Author

Katherine
Katherine

Henry, VA



About
Umm...Hi I'm Katherine Sessor and here is some facts about me. 1. I'm quiet and friendly 2. I'm a girl and I'm currently 19 years old 3. I love to read, write and draw 4. My favortie animal is the.. more..

Writing
How Can I? How Can I?

A Poem by Katherine