Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Katherine
"

Enter Katana Zuma Hirmura, a ex-assassin and thief! A fight with guards while escaping the town to embark on an adventure to save Jackson!

"

I woke up early and began to pack a traveling bag. I found a old crinkled up map of the lands and placed it in my front pouch of the bag. I then sheathed a small steel dagger in my right combat boot. Heading down the hall, I peeked in Jackson’s room. It was still messy as it once was. Clothes were spread on the floor, daggers flung on his side table and an odd oder clung to the room. I stepped in and pondered through his items.

"Junk..." I said picking up an old, rusted dagger. The blade was split and the rust was crumbling into my hand. "Why did you bargain with them, Jackson? Is your life that troubled that you’re willing to die for this junk?" I asked aloud, taking another glance around the room.

Letting out a sigh I left the room. In the kitchen I packed a few loafs of bread and left a small pouch of coins on the table for Gleana. Once I was all packed, I headed on out. I took a look at my hideout home. "I’ll be back." I promised myself.

A cold wind hit my face. I shivered. The ground was wet from the fallen rain last night and the sky was hazy and dark. The wind blew again. I let out a sad sigh and kept walking towards the bar.

"What makes you think he’s alive?" asked a familiar voice.

"Dinna." I said annoyed, turning where the voice was. "I know he is. What do you want?"

"I want you to come with me."

"Why?"

"Spirit, you are in danger and If you have any sense at all you’ll come with me. I understand you want to save your friend, but this is much more important." she began to walk closer to me.

"Look, I’m not going through this again. I’ve told you and told you I don’ t care. Jackson is my main importance right now. I’m willing to compromise, but you can’t just barge to me demanding things." I explained.

"Spirit, you don not understand. This is-"

"No, I don’t. Not until Jackson is safely home, I won’t listen. Compromise is a two way street. If you know me at all, you’ll know I hate it when people demand things from me. My friend is in danger and nothing can stop me from saving him. So please stop wasting my time." I walked away, leaving her behind. I still felt her eyes upon my back as I walked.

I headed for the upper-alleys toward the potion shop. I stopped at the wooden door of Gale’s Potions and glanced around me. People were the same as yesterday, walking around and guards on the lookout. ‘Jackson was right about the guards. There are getting more and more.’ I thought before heading inside the store.

The potion shop was small and cluttered with variety of different potions. The walls near the door had large shelves of small and large strength potions. Small racks lay near the counter which contained tiny bottles of red liquid that boost your power. The rack next to the that was different sized potions of healing. The hard-wood floor creaked as I walked over to the healing rack. I picked up one of the small glass bottles and stared at it, in thought. "10 gold for the small and 50 for the large....fair I guess." I said quietly as I grabbed another bottle. Holding the two bottles in my hand I headed for the counter where a elderly man was cleaning with a white cloth.

He had white hair that stuck up on the ends and a medium beard. His face was aged and his small dark eyes looked at me when he seen me. He wore a fancy green robe that swished when he walked. He smiled at me when I approached.

"What can I get you?" he asked, his voice deep and calm.

"I’d like to buy these please." I said smiling as I handed him the two potions of healing.

"Potions of Healing, going to be fighting?" He asked opening them and taking a sniff. "Got to make sure it’s the right potion. People placed explosives with a strength potion once and the guy who bought it was hospitalized."

"That’s bad....Actually I’m going on journey and I’d thought to be prepared." I answered

"Usually I put them in different bottles but those stupid trouble making kids, break in and switch out the bottles!" He said anger in his voice as he handed the bottles carefully back to me. "They’re both good. That’ll be 20 gold coins please."

"What are those potions behind you?" I asked curious as I handed him the gold coins.

"Huh? Oh those! They are my potions I’m still experimenting with. I have one that makes you grow gills for a limited time. And another that stops your pulse for twenty minutes to fake death. Many different potions with amazing results, but however I haven’t yet fixed the side effects." He explained scratching his white-haired head. "If you want, for 500 gold you can have them. Just beware of some of the side effects."

"No, I’m good." I said, putting the potions into my bag. "I must be going, bye." I waved as I walked toward the door.

"Come again!" the man yelled as I exited.

"Gills? Death? I’m not going to ask." I said aloud shaking my head as I thought about those weird potions. "Still early before I have to meet Katana." I looked up at the hazy sky. The sun was using all it’s might to shine through the thin overcast clouds. I closed my eyes briefly before walking down a alley of expansive shops; fancy clothes, magical orbs and hair salons. I stopped walking when I seen the courtyard which was a small clearing near the Mayor’s house. Green grass and a few flowered bushes were surrounding a large fountain. A statue of a warrior man stood on the fountain. He was the town’s founder and hero long ago.

A few benches were positioned around the fountain, I took a seat in one. "Guess I’ll wait a little while." I said leaning my head back against the back of the wooden bench. The moving water from the fountain had a calm sound which eased my mind. Usually people were common in this part of the town, but since the break in all been scared to approach. They’re scared the Mayor’s guards will seize them and the blame will fall on them for the break in.

"So much is changing...." I said to myself staring up at the clouds moving slowly away.

"Hey! You! What are you doing?" yelled a guard running my way. He had his sword drawn.

"Huh? Nothing, just sitting." I answered standing up quickly.

"Sitting? Don’t get smart-mouthed with me! What are you up to?! Answer me!" He yelled standing in front of me. His voice was harsh and loud. He still had his golden helmet on and he wore gold platemail armor.

"I’m telling the truth! I’m not planning nothing." I took a step back, cautious.

"You’re a thief! I see it in the outfit you wear! No armor but armed!"

"What?" I took a quick glance down at my clothes. "I’m wearing a shirt and skirt...."

"I also see it in your eyes. You’re the one pickpocketing the citizens! I thought I recognized you!" His voice went colder and I felt his eyes piercing me.

"So what? I’m a petty thief but that doesn’t mean I’m a threat. Why would I try to steal from the Mayor?" I asked talking another step back. I felt the fountain touch my back as I stepped back to far.

"That’s what you damn thieves do! You steal what’s not yours!" He lunged for me, sword raised. I duck his strike and ran past him toward the alleys.

"Seize her!!" He shouted running after me.

"Not again..." I leaped over fences and turned around corners with lightning speed. I hopped up on a low-roofed house and climbed to the other side. Hiding behind a house, I waited.

"Damn! Where the hell did she go! Find her now!" I heard the golden guard yell.

"He’s one of the Mayor’s personal guards....gold armor means high rank..." I whispered remembering what Jackson had taught me long ago. "S**t. Why I’m I always running from guards these days?" I took a peek around the corner of the house. The coast was clear, for now. I took my chance and bolted past toward the middle-alleys.

"Hey! There she is!" I heard them yell as they spotted me.

"He’s smart...waiting for me to come out of hiding..." I said as I ran. I leaped over some stacked boxes and quickly turned left towards the bar. ‘I’ll loose them there.’ I thought heading full speed. I made it toward the door and went in. Slamming the door behind me, I pushed through the crowd. I took a seat in the back as I rested. I laid my head down on the round table.

"Everyone stay where you are!" the golden guard commanded as he barged through the door. Everyone looked at the guards, some scared and others non-caring. One bandit through this beer mug at the guard’s head.

"Get out!" the bandit yelled standing on the table.

"You piece of trash!" the guard rushed the bandit but other warriors surrounded the guards.

"What’s the meaning of this?!" The young bartender yelled which I recognized as David.

"A thief ran in here, where is she?" the guard ordered.

"Why the hell would I know? Many thieves and warriors run in here. You really suspect me to pay attention to every damn person?" David asked his face red from anger.

"Look here you punk! I have info that she is one of the culprits to the Mayor’s break in!" The guard took David by the shirt, lifting him up.

"You get your hands off of me! You are not allowed to enter this tavern, it’s a save haven for all! Put me the hell down!" David struggled against the guard’s grip.

"Put David down! This is my tavern! No fighting is allowed so take it outside. If your looking for a thief then maybe wait outside for him to venture out. There is only one door so he should be coming out soon to eat, wouldn’t he?" the bartender from yesterday said, walking toward the golden guard.

"Who the hell are you?" the guard asked

"I told you, I’m Gorian the keeper of this tavern." the bartender answered.

"He’s Gorian? I didn’t know that..." I said quietly as I kept a low profile at the table.

"I’d rather search this bar!" The guard finally put David down. David stepped behind Gorian.

"There’s hundreds of people in this bar. Sir Jefferson, do you really want to look at ever person one by one to find your thief? I’d say wait outside before my costumers start a riot." Gorian cocked his eyebrow up as to question the golden guard’s authority.

"Fine! When she comes out..." He and his guards stepped outside and waited.

"Gorian?" David stared at Gorian as he walked back to the bar.

"David, be a good lad and start moving the boxes of liquor from the cellar." Gorian said as he took his place behind the bar counter.

"Yes sir!" David went through a back door and down some stairs.

"Least, Katana would be here soon....maybe they’ll be gone by then?" I said holding my head in my hands.

"What can I get you, hon?" asked a familiar voice approaching me. I looked up and noticed it was the waitress from the other day.

"Nothing, I’m good." I quickly said, thrown of my guard.

"It’s you those guards were after. Am I right, hon?" she said looking at me with a kind but curious look.

"How do you know?" I asked

"You look shaken up and a worried expression is on your face, hon." She sat down in a chair across from me. "Pardon my habit of interfering, hon. It’s a bad habit of mine." She let out a chuckle as she smiled.

"It’s ok. Yeah, you were right. They keep on thinking I was one of the culprits to the Mayor’s break in. But I wasn’t." I placed my hand to my forehead.

"Those guards are always blamin someone. It gets me agitated on how cold-hearted they can be. I’ll tell you one thing, hon, that Mayor of ours is going to wash this town in the gutters if he isn’t careful." Her voice showed signs of anger as she complained.

"Huh? Umm...yeah." I said not knowing exactly the meaning of her phrase.

"Well hun, I better get back to work or David will have something to complain about. That boy can have an attitude and a bad one. Oh I never got to ask you, did you get the information you were looking for the last time, hon?" She stood up and stared down at me.

"Uh, yes. Thank you."

"I’m glad. Oh and my name’s Rosie." She smiled a wide smile as her gaze focused on me.

"I’m Spirit. It’s nice to meet you and thank you again." I replied returning the smile.

"If you need anything, just say you wanna see Rosie. I don’t mind, hun." After another smile, she went on to another table.

"She’s nice and very friendly." I thought watching her go. I let out a tired sigh as I remembered my new problem.

"Hey!" said a loud voice standing over me. Looking up this time, I seen Katana standing over me.

"Where you been? Did you see those guards outside?" I asked

"You mean those hot guys in shiny armor, then yeah I seen them. They thought I looked familiar but couldn’t place me so they let me go. If they didn’t they would have my foot up in their a*s. No matter how cute they are." She sat down in the same chair Rosie was in earlier.

"Umm...ok." I replied not knowing what to say. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." She crossed her legs and began waving a wench over. "Can I get some beer, please?" the wench nodded her head and went off to the bar.

"Was you the one who robbed the Mayor?" I asked quietly so only she could here.

"Sure was. However I didn’t take anything. The man didn’t have much, just useless artifacts that were to big to carry." she answered calmly. I stared at her in shock.

"You must be skilled." I stated, running my hand through my bangs.

"Sure am. Being an ex-assassin does have it’s perks. Oh finally the beer is here. Thank you." She tipped the wench after taking the beer from her hands. The young waitress face lit up as she seen the tip that was given to her.

"Ex-assassin?" I said unsure what I just heard. "Woah...."

"Yep, I was an mercenary assassin for about two years until I got bored and the money was getting scarce. So I thought it was enough of that so I just began to travel. Since I didn’t really have a home to go back to...." her voice began to drop as she remembered her past. She then took a gulp of her beer.

"I’m sorry." I said

"Don’t worry about it! So are you ready?" Her voice was back to it’s loud and cheery self.

"Yeah. When do we leave?"

"After I finish up here." She then took another gulp out of the beer mug. She drank the last drop and then asked for another. I sat patiently as I waited for her to be done. She offered me a cup of ale but I declined. I didn’t care much for alcohol.

An hour passed before she was completely done. She left some coins on the table and waved a good-bye to Gorian before she headed out with me behind. She stretched her arms up as we stepped into the sun. the rainy clouds were gone and the sky was bright again. A man’s voice snapped me out of my glaze at the sky. Looking straight I seen the guards approaching.

"Sir Jefferson! It’s her! There!" A guard in silver yelled.

"Katana, we gotta go!" I warned backing up fast.

"Hey, you leave my new pal alone! Unless you want a a*s kickin." she placed her hands on her hips and stood her ground.

"You’re that demon fox girl! You’re the culprit that broke in, I knew I recognized you!" Sir Jefferson stated approaching us.

"What of it?" Katana just smiled.

"Are you insane! He’s one of the personal guards of the Mayor’s. The highest ranking guard they can be!" I yelled, backed up to the tavern’s wall ready to bolt if I had to.

"So? Are you going to arrest me, Sir Jefferson?" Katana’s smile still stayed on her lips as she watched the guard.

"Get them!" He ordered and the guards rushed forward. Katana unsheathed her sword and rushed forward as well. She blocked the guard’s strikes as they blocked hers. She leaped high into the air as they surrounded her. She landed behind them and landed a hit on a silver guard. His helmet was thrown off from the impact.

Before I could completely watch her battle, a few silver guards surrounded me. Unsheathing my Twin Fangs I stood my ground. Both of us were countering and blocking the guard’s assaults upon us. Katana took down many silver guards in a matter of just minutes as she swooped down and knocked them to their feet. I had taken down a few myself by doing my swirl attack where I turned my swords to the side and twirl at a fast speed. This made the guards back up so the blades wouldn’t strike them. Letting the swords go in my twirl made the swords fly outwards in a tornado like format which took down a couple of guards.

Calling my swords back to my hand by summoning up my power, I faced Sir Jefferson along with Katana. Before we could attack him, more guards showed up.

"S**t!" Katana cursed as she seen the high levels. "Looks like we gotta bolt. See you later Jefferson, just maybe." She smiled again as she sheathed her sword and took off toward the back-alleys near south of town. I sheathed my swords and ran after her. The guards were on our heals as we ran full speed.

"There fast! I see why they’re high ranked guards." I commented as we ran.

"How fast can you run?" Katana yelled back to me.

"I can run faster but it takes amount of my energy. You have a plan?" I yelled back up to her. We were only a few feet away from each other.

"Can you keep up with a four-legged fox?" She asked.

"You can shapeshift?" I asked amazed.

"Yeah! Can you keep up?" she hollered back again.

"I can do better!" I smiled and increased my speed. I closed my eyes for a second to direct my power to run through my veins faster. I felt Katana’s eyes on me in curiosity.

My heart beat became faster and my veins pulsed. My body felt as a pressure was beating down and my body temperature becoming warmer. My fangs were getting sharper as my face became more curved as a snout was forming. I leaped into the air as my form began to change. A howl escaped my throat as the head was forming into a wolf’s head as the rest of my body. Silver fur appeared on my skin and my brownish-red hair disappeared. Hands and feet were now paws and a long, bushy wolf tail appeared on my behind. Once a human girl, now I was a dark and light silver furred wolf with blue eyes, as I landed back to the ground. The change was in a matter of seconds and the pressure had disappeared.

Turning my head back, I watched Katana change. She had transformed into a beautiful fox with midnight black fur with a blue tip on her tail and her ears. She let out a high pitched bark as to warning of the upcoming guards. I thought I seen the fox smile as we began to run again.

We outran the guards easily in our canine forms. We ran under fallen bricks from old buildings and leaped higher over obstacles. We were both panting as we stopped.

"You are a wolf?" She asked me taking a seat on the ground.

"Yeah, lycanthrope. It never occurred to me to run in my wolf form. I never really use my wolf form that much. I almost forgot how good it feels to feel the freedom of running and leaping." I sat down as well and shook my head to get the brick dust from my fur.

"It feels so good doesn’t it?" She too began to shake to rid the brick dust. Her black pelt was covered in the red dust.

"So off to Trondor?" I asked as I cocked my head to the side in a curious gesture.

"Yep, but it’s going to be a long journey." she stretched her back as she rose. "We’ll head to Nimour first to get our bearings straight, then a day we’ll had to Trondor." She began to walk forward as I followed.

"Oh, ok." I said not liking the day of rest, due to Jackson’s safety. "Please hold on Jackson...." I whispered to myself.

We made it out of Shepardson unnoticed and kept running through Gale Meadow. A meadow that gets its name from the strong winds that form frequently. The straw stalks were over our heads and to thick to see through. We transformed back into our human forms. Our clothes and items reappeared as they were before we shape shifted the first time.

"Damn, the wind is breathtaking...literally." Katana remarked trying to push through the razor sharp wind.

"It gets this way later in the day. Rumor has it that a spell gone awry and never ended. But that was a rumor, no one’s sure." I said pushing my hair out of my face as it blown wildly from the wind. Pollen from the forming flowers blew up in our faces as another gale of wind struck. We began pushing through the waist-high meadow as we fought against the wind.

"You said you came from Trondor, which way did you come from?" I asked trying for conversation.

"Not this way that’s for sure." she answered as she took her claws and sliced down the straw stalks. She picked one up and placed it in her mouth to chew upon. The wind began to simmer down.

"So...what brought you to travel this way, to Shepardson?" I asked brushing the last strands of hair from my face.

"I haven’t been here. So I thought, hey why not." She shrugged her shoulders to emphasize her words.

"Least the wind stopped blowing...for now anyway." I looked up at the sky and shielding my eyes from the bright sun. It was in the middle of the sky and beating it’s rays down upon us. A few white stray clouds hovered overhead.

"Have you ever been out of town?" Katana asked after a moment of silence. I glanced down at my feet as I walked.

"Not really."

"So you lived in that town your whole life?"

"No, only half."

"Huh? You said you haven’t been out of the town." She was watching me in wonder.

"I spent my youth in the town Shaverville. Then I moved to Shepardson when I turned thirteen. I haven’t really explored the outskirts of town, only the inside. I just never had any reason to go out."

"Big town means big opportunities. Never been to Shaverville, is it nice?" Katana placed her hands behind her head as she walked.

"I guess..." I took a thought on her comment and began to wonder. "Buddy...." I whispered under my breath.

"Huh? You say something?" I felt Katana’s eyes upon me as I kept my eyes down.

"No, it’s nothing. Shaverville is a small quiet town. It’s peaceful." I answered looking back up again, my eyes straight ahead. I seen the end of the meadow. Rich green grass an inch tall stood it’s ground to ward off the meadow’s tall straw stalks. A giant oak tree stood on a steep hill just before the wilderness.

"Now that is a huge tree." Katana remarked as we finally made it out of the meadow. She stared up at it’s branches and began to climb.

"The Great Oak...the biggest tree here actually."

"You never left this town, how do you know so much?" she asked looking down from a low branch.

"Travelers and their gossip. Gorian Tavern is the place for any type of rumors. I overhear I lot." I stared at her while she began to climb higher. "Lets keeping on heading for Nimour before it gets to late. Night’s are dangerous out here." I said taking a glance around me.

"Dangerous? I handled worse than dangerous. Don’t worry." she replied.

"It’s not the danger I’m worried about. Don’t forget my friend is in danger and I would like to get there fast as I can. Please Katana." I watched her, eager for her to come on.

"Oh fine." She dropped from the tree and landed perfectly on her feet. "Lets go."

"I think a plain grass field is just beyond the woods." I said pulling out the map I brought.

"Where you get that?" Katana asked as she spotted the map in my hands.

"Found it at my hideout in a drawer. It’s old but most of the landmarks are recent. I thought it may come in handy."

"Ok..." She shrugged and looked back forward. We headed into the woods.



© 2009 Katherine


Author's Note

Katherine
A chapter 4, Yay! This is the farthest so far i have wrote. Tell me what everyone thinks! And tell me if anyone sees any errors aswell.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on August 19, 2009


Author

Katherine
Katherine

Henry, VA



About
Umm...Hi I'm Katherine Sessor and here is some facts about me. 1. I'm quiet and friendly 2. I'm a girl and I'm currently 19 years old 3. I love to read, write and draw 4. My favortie animal is the.. more..

Writing
How Can I? How Can I?

A Poem by Katherine