Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Splatman73
"

Flattle and company actually head out. Honestly this probably should have been chapter 2.

"
  As they hurried along in silence, they were abruptly pulled into a back alley.
 
 "Shh!" They heard a voice command them. "You don't want to get caught trying to sneak out, now do you?"

  The trio turned around and saw Bank, an otter who was under an apprenticeship with the black smith. He and two other apprentices, Yoko and Evet, were the ones who had started the tradition of going down to the lake every day after work. Bank and Yoko were both sons of village elders, but they tended to act rather foolishly. Bank had black, silky fur, and had dark hazel eyes. He was the fastest swimmer around. He could also handle any weapon masterfully. He was also one of the strongest otters in town.To put it simply, he was what any young female otter could want. Tonight, he was wearing a black tunic, a belt with a dirk, and a black cloak.

  "Bank, what on earth are you doing out? It's almost the middle of the night!" Flattle whispered.

  "Well, have you heard the wolves.talking about the midnight prowlers. Guess who!" Bank answered.

  "Ach, ya cannoot beh serious lad!" Moss said in awe.

  "Completely serious, Stone. Also Yoko and Evet." Bank confirmed.

  "I knew you three were crazy, but this is beyond that!" Flattle stated.

  "Do you three want out of here without being caught or do you want to stand here flappin our jaws all night?"

  "We would like to leave." Moac answered."Can you help us?"

  "Yeah, just follow me," Bank commanded.

  He lead them to the smith's shop. They walked in and saw the sales counter. They went behind it to the forges. They saw two anvils, the forge, the billows, and a set of stairs leading up to the apartments. They walked over to the anvil on the left. Bank started to lift it. Muscles strained and sinews stretched. They saw the anvil was attached to a section of the floor

  "A little help here?" Bank requested. The trio helped to lift the anvil."Ok, now, pivot it to the right." They pivoted it to the right and saw a tunnel down below. The hole leading to the tunnel was about ten feet deep. They saw a ladder was in the hole.

  "Go ahead and set it down." Bank told them. After they set it down, the trio was attempting to sit down but Bank hurriedly wispered,"No time for rest up here. Get down there and follow the blue arrows. They lead to the main river. There is a torch and flint and steel dowm there for light. Good luck, and may good fortune be with you." After the last one of them was down in the tunnel, Bank closed the hole up.

  "Well, I guess we know where to go now. Either of you found the torch?" Flattle asked.

  He heard the sound of flint and steel striking each other. The tunnel rapidly brightened and he saw Stone holding the torch.

  "Here et es lad." Stone said as she handed the torch to him. "Certainly brahtens oop the place."

  "Thanks Stone." He replied as he took the torch. "We'd better get walking. We'll need to be long gone by morning." They started their journey down the long tunnel. It had many twists, turns, and forks, but by following the blue arrows, they made their way along the deep tunnel. It was about six feet tall and two people wide. 

  They walked in silence for a ways before Moac asked them,"Do you know why this tunnel system is so brilliant?"

  "Noo weh doon't. Car tew explain?" Stone replied sarcasticly.

  "First, you have the tunnel itself. It's at least four feet below the surface so when you walk above it, you can't hear a hollow sound. Second, you have the entrance under the anvil. As heavy as it is, it would seem inconvenient as an escape route. Then, without knowing your way around, you could be down here for a long time, maybe even to your death."

  "Well that's a great thought. Please enlighten us on more terrible ways to die." Flattle said sarcastically.

  "Sorry," Moac appologized. "Hey, there's some moonlight up ahead. We're almost there."

  "Thank forutne weh neahly oot o' thes danky hole. Et was stahten to get stuffy en here," Stone breathed.

  They arrived at he end of the tunnel and climbed up the ladder. They saw a stone that appeared to have been moved, so they shoved it back over the hole. They looked around and saw the river about five feet away, the forest about three feet away. To theie right, the river bent sharply towards the village.

  "We can camp over in the woods. We can't light a fire tonight in case for some reason a patrol is out here. Otherwise, time to get some rest. Goodnight," Flattle said.

  They all soon were fast asleep.


© 2016 Splatman73


Author's Note

Splatman73
Can you even read Stone's accent? I know it was a pain to write, so I assume it isn't pleasant to read either. It was supposed to be some variant on Scottish if that helps.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on October 28, 2016
Last Updated on October 28, 2016
Tags: fantasy, abandoned project


Author

Splatman73
Splatman73

Monroe, NC



About
I like to write fantasy and most of what I publish will probably be unfinished or first drafts. My writing also tends to be really long so fair warning there. If you write Magical Fantasy please let m.. more..

Writing
Hourglass Hourglass

A Poem by Splatman73