Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Stacie Dayton

Adrenaline seared through his eyes as I pressed my blade against his throat. I was here for answers but I held no qualms about the exchange ending in bloodshed. Knowing my body weight alone wouldn't be enough force, I managed to use the roots nearby as leverage to support myself and keep him pinned to the ground. Sunlight was competing with me, trying to pierce the leaves to give a more devastating glow to his eyes, a survival technique meant to play on the weak. Dangerously beautiful, the Hellfire that burned within them could easily consume your soul and you'd be glad of it. The allure of the fire speckled amber jewels that stared back at me jilted something deep within.

     I was paralyzed, my fingers locked around the hilt of my blade. In the blink of an eye he shifted under me causing me to lose my balance. He caught my blade but not in the fatal manner that it was initially intended, leaving him with a minimal wound. I scrambled to my feet only to meet his sturdy gaze. He was but ten feet from me, stoic and contemplative. We were both poised to kill, intently watching each other to determine the course we would take. Surely this was it; one of us were going to die here. Ready for battle, I found myself tightening my grip around the hilt. However, I was met with a very different response. With glowing eyes and a bewitching smirk he bowed to me, causing his shaggy black hair to tumble down his forehead and mask part of his left eye.

     "Until then" he said, the words pouring out like honey.

     I awoke to find myself alone in my room, my windows greeting me with the dawning light. My mind wandered back to those eyes; tense, glowing amber jewels that were strikingly beautiful yet loaded with benevolence: the very eyes that haunted my dreams since childhood to the point where I swore I could see them just as vividly even while I was awake.


     I rose with my nightgown falling down my thigh, the thin black fabric clinging to the sweat on my body. Adjusting the garment I took a minute to enjoy the cool hard wood under my feet before exiting the French doors that separated me from my balcony, hoping the brisk morning air would calm my nerves. Habitually my eyes swept over the visible areas of the massive antebellum style structure that was known as Ravenfall Manor. The opulent façade had struck a chord of wonder within me when I came here as a young child, making me feel as if I had been swept away into a glamorous life instead of just being sent away for reasons I never understood. Now older I have come to realize that I am entombed here; a permanent fixture among the gallery of objects forbidden to leave.

     With as impressive as the main house of Ravenfall was, the grounds were even more extravagant. Ancient willows carved out the landscape coupled with a multitude of ponds and reflecting pools. Luscious gardens filled with every type of wild flower known to man encased the water areas, leaving the unmistakable fragrant perfume of spring blossoms to fill the air. Unfortunately, these would be the only sights I will ever be permitted to see thanks to my 'darling aunt' who ensured that I be locked away here all those years ago. For my own good I reminded myself, keeping her voice to her words so it felt more logical; comforting. It never helped. Those very words haunted my memory proving to be just as crippling as they were when I was eight.

     Shaking my head with the hope that the memories would scatter like sand in the wind, I somberly chose to accept the day that now marked my tenth year at Ravenfall; a day which incidentally coincided with the Awakening Ball: our celebration of the world's rebirth. As a child I would imagine myself being the reason behind the ball, as if my arrival at Ravenfall carried some deep importance. It was a fantasy that provided a nice reprieve from a life which was forced upon me.

     Thirteen hours from now the ball would begin and Ravenfall would be stuffed with men and women of various ages dressed in their finest fashions and thoroughly enjoying the masquerade. Come morning Ravenfall would be devoid of life again and the dreariness of the few inhabitants left within would return to the humdrum existence set before them. It was especially during this event that I would incessantly damn my aunt for the curse she had placed on me, making my desire for freedom impossible.

     Sighing, I made my way back inside and over to my armoire. Sliding my strap I peered down to see the mark decorating my right shoulder, the swirls of a language too foreign for my comprehension; the permanent reminder of my captivity. Elegant by its own right, the white mark resembled a crescent and the letter K ensnared with swirling vine-like brush strokes; an emblem burned into my skin long ago. As time progressed, I learned to appreciate the design despite what it did to me.

     The gravelly sound of someone clearing their throat caught my attention. I jerked my head up to see flawless emerald eyes watching me from the door, the man behind them fidgeting with the dirty blond hair secured on his head. Knowing that his unease was the result of seeing me in my nightclothes gave me the satisfaction that could only be caused by a man's respect.

     "Nathaniel" I squealed as I hurried over to grab him by the arm, the closeness amplifying the tension which now pulsated through his body.

     "Dameer" he said with a smile as he mussed the top of my head. He held me at arm's length in a manner that spoke of compassion but also a need for me to listen carefully, expressed in the way most appropriate and expected from the house master's son.

     His face changed to suddenly to anxiety, as if he knew my reaction to whatever news he had for me would be bad. Frozen in position, he watched as I walked back to sit on my bed balling my cotton blanket in my hands to brace myself for whatever was coming.

     "My father has decided that I am to be your escort at the ball tonight" he said firmly though the way his eyes swept the floor hinted at a lack of confidence.

     "That's it?" I chuckled half amused at both of our reactions and half with relief as I loosened my grip on the blanket.

     In that instant I felt the crushing weight of those emeralds more than ever before. Never have I known Nathaniel to wear such a heaviness. Initially I thought that perhaps he cared more than either of us would dare to say and feared my level of rejection, though I sensed that there was something deeper behind his hesitation.

     "You don't understand Dameer" he countered as he came to sit next to me, locking his eyes on mine as he covered my hands. His nervousness sent shivers through my body. His eyes told how hard he was struggling with the words he didn't want to say. After what seemed like an eternal pause, he swallowed hard, "this year's Awakening Ball is meant to be our debut".

     "Debut?" my mouth numbly formed the words, "as in..."

     "Yes. Our futures are to be united".

     "But..." I began while trying to comprehend the words that had suddenly slapped me, "there are plenty of girls here that would be a much better match for you... who could be a more suitable bride".

     "My father...apparently it was decided by your aunt years ago. She had insisted that it would be the best way to keep you...safe".

     I sat expressionless at the news. First a prisoner, now an arranged marriage. What kind of safety was this meant to be? What could possibly be so horrible out there that my path had to be laid out before me in such a manner? Sensing my need for space in order to process this new information. After instructing me when and where to meet him later for the ball, he gently kissed the top of my head; a gesture that seemed fit more for an older brother than a future husband. With the click of the door latch he left me alone with my thoughts.

     The saltiness of my tears burned as I tried to hold them back. Certainly, this couldn't be the worst thing for me. My aunt had my best intentions in mind through all of this or at least that is what I was trying to convince myself. But I wasn't ready to be someone's wife, especially someone that I didn't love. In my eyes Nathaniel was an older brother, someone to help protect me and provide me with guidance when I was feeling lost, not a husband who would own me with my vows. A growing pressure in my chest told me just how much my heart was crumbling as I began to grieve the life I was forced to surrender.

     Wallowing in my sadness allowed the hours to pass in a blur and I barely had time to wrap my mind around what was happening. Ravenfall had become abuzz with chaos; the finishing touches being added to the ballroom and foyer while men and women rushed from room to room trying to assure their radiant beauty. My room alone had tripled in the number of occupants when servants came to assist me in my appearance for my debut. A new gown had been fashioned just for me which was currently being tailored to ensure it fit exact and perfect in all the right places. A woman I had never seen before now stood behind me, lacing the corseted back of my gown to the point where I began questioning how important oxygen really was. I would have to get accustomed to this being the future lady of the house; one more reason to despise my position.

     When the preparations were all said and done I glued myself to my mirror, inspecting every detail. The gown was a beautiful shade of pale ice blue with delicate details of silver strewn throughout, made with the intention of amplifying my unique violet eyes. Having a corset bodice drew more attention to my breasts than I was comfortable with, which in turn was only accentuated by the lace cap sleeves. The only thing emphasized more than my collar bone and chest was my overly slender waist. Silver strands in the bell of the gown cascaded down like a waterfall, the vertical lines intended to give me height despite my being average size for eighteen. It all ended in a scalloped hem lined with rhinestones; the ideal representation of a bride to be.

     The stately appearance of the dress was coupled with a few curled auburn tendrils that fanned down to tickle my shoulders. The rest of my hair was pinned up and back, partial braids here and there, more curls, everything accented with small sprigs of baby's breath; the look being completed by a matching mask fastened atop of my head. In all the years I have attended the Awakening Ball, never have I come close to looking so angelic.

     Inhaling slowly, so it wasn't too difficult to breathe, I became filled with panic. What if I couldn't pull off this role? I have never left the grounds of Ravenfall and barely knew much of anything on the house's operations as it were. Everything here was so hush hush. Knowledge seemed to be obliterated by the misconceptions taught by those appointed under the house master. What would come to pass once I was part of this elite and noble society? I couldn't help but worry that there was something more hidden within my aunt's plans than just driving me into a higher class. I would find out my answers all too soon and of that I was sure I wasn't ready.

     As instructed I left my room at a quarter past eight to head down the stairs and meet my predetermined fate. Tiny lights twinkled along the thick mahogany rails of the stairway giving the illusion of fireflies against the night sky. Usually they were adorned with strands of wildflowers entwined within each other, but I suspected that the change was due to the occasion. The reflection of the lights against the marble floor of the foyer made the already grand entrance more lustrous.

     At the old clock situated by the double doors of the ballroom was where I was to meet Nathaniel. Of course he was already there by the time I arrived, prompt beyond expectations, looking very handsome in his fitted black suit and his hair slicked to the side and held in position by the ribbon of a mask designed to mirror mine. At twenty one, he was the epitome of a man who had been fully groomed to take over the position of his father, a role that he grew into effortlessly.

     He came to greet me at the stairs like a true gentleman, taking my arm within his. He whispered my name as he pulled me close, just for a brief moment. Unexpectedly I felt the heat rise to my cheeks during this intimate exchange and I held my breath waiting for it to pass. If this behavior was just for show it certainly made for a beautiful performance. He cared for me; that much was obvious. Had we been given time and both a bit of courage, this union very well had the possibility of happening on its own.

     Dismissing the idea from my mind I tried to gather my nerves while the guests began to arrive. It would be after everyone's entrance at the ball that we were be introduced as the future Mr. and Mrs. Donpuit; a moment that was coming faster than I appreciated.

     Nathaniel pulled me over towards the decadent entrance of the Master's Wing, quickly instructing me to ensure I performed the appropriate actions for our ordeal. The debut was the easy part, what followed was a plethora of rules on how to ask, when to speak and to whom, when to curtsy, what topics were and were not permissible for discussion, etcetera. My head was spinning with lectures and regulations as we entered the ballroom, rounding out the line of attendees as we began to wait for our turn to take the spotlight.

     The wait was shorter than I was prepared for and within moments we were standing atop a short flight of stairs, this time decorated with rails donning lights and sheer pink ribbon with floral accents along with an imitation Persian rug runner outlined with gold tassels. Few steps separated us from the sea of guests gathering below but it was enough of a height difference to have us placed upon the stage, so to speak, for the roles we were about to play.

     Seeing the barrage of faces before me and knowing what was to come, my heart began to race. I felt faint but knew that the atrocity that would occur if I actually succumbed to it. Instead, blackness took over my mind causing it to become an empty wasteland in which the only thing I could do was blankly go through the motions of what Nathaniel had taught me just moments before. Consequentially, I have no recollection of the words spoken by the house master during our debut or the fanfare that followed.

     Suddenly, I was seated at a long table towards the far end of the room along with Nathaniel, his father, and a selection of esteemed guests made up of lords and ladies from the surrounding manors who were privileged enough to have earned their place among the sides of our house master. As high of an honor as it was, it was equally boring and it took all I could to bring my attention back into the present and keep it there instead of the happenings around the room. I watched the room of fluttering gowns and the cheerfully lit faces of their suitors. Children fumbled with their masks, some taking them completely off due to the interference with their games. You don't belong here I told myself, knowing deep down that despite my upbringing and desires for a family I didn't know, this was not the world I was intended for.

     Something inside me ached, bringing forth a lurking sensation that tore through the deepest fibers of me. There wasn't any name I could place to this. Whatever it was, it nauseated me and made my throat feel as if it were tightening. Breathing was close to impossible and it took everything I could muster to have enough strength to excuse myself from the table.

     Walking as quick as I could but still slow enough to not draw any attention to myself, I made my way back up the steps into the foyer and, after a quick sweep of the area, ventured out through the front door into the darkness to give myself the peace I so desperately needed. I left the porch and headed down the cobblestone path into the gardens where I could find a place of solitude, hoping it would help me digest the evening.

     The garden that I intended to use as my refuge was designed in the theme of a hedge maze but with walls low enough so that finding your way was no challenge at all. In the semi-circled center sat a cement bench with clawed feet atop a slab. It was here that I would always come when I needed a break from the world; when every overbearing aspect of this life became too much and I was desperate to run away from it all. It was here that I finally permitted myself to mourn.

     Grieving is a timely process; one that I was unfairly denied. I looked up to the stars, envious of their freedom to move about but also understanding their position on a deeper level than I ever have before. They were just as trapped in an unbreakable cycle as I was. Those unreachable balls of light were the only thing in this world that understood where my pain was originating.

     Looking to the ground I found my eyes tracing the cracked granite beneath me. A mess of tangled roots protruded through the broken stone, forcing the weary material to succumb to the powerful earth that victoriously conquered it. A world of unfairness that granted no escape from the fates chosen for you. Maybe this was where I belonged after all. Closing my eyes I pleaded with myself to just let it all sink in and be accepted.

     However when I opened my eyes again, terror had struck me like a sword. Staring back at me was a man possessing devastatingly gorgeous amber eyes, aglow like a fading ember in the hearth of a winter fire. He looked at me, smiling like the Cheshire cat all the while maintaining his gentleman-like composure.

     "You" I said so low I wasn't sure it was even audible.

     "Me" he replied with a devilish smile that contorted even further with the word.

     "I...I..."

     Formulating words became a troublesome task. Before me stood the man with the wild eyes that had pierced the fabric of my wholesome dreams, often leaving me desiring eternal slumber. Disbelief consumed me, leaving me helpless to the required confrontation.

     "Who?" I began but couldn't finish the question.

     "My name is Aden" he offered with an outstretched hand. I politely tried to offer my own which he grabbed, turned, and ever so gently kissed. "I have been wondering when I'd find you" he purred.

     "And how do you know that I'm the person you are looking for? Do you even know my name?" I said sternly, doing my best to let him know I wasn't buying into his charm.

     He chuckled. "No I don't. But your uncanny resemblance to Sabelle makes it impossible for me to imagine you as anyone else".

     "What are you talking about?" I stammered, "Who is Sabelle?"

     "Who you are supposed to be" he whispered as he bend his head to mine. His lips grazing my cheek as the words tumbled within my ear.

     And with that he stood, one arm bent behind his back, the other outstretched, his eyes beckoning for me to rise and follow along.

     Exhaling, I allowed myself to become engulfed in his eyes; eyes that were burning with more intensity than ever I saw in any dream. Reluctantly, I placed my hand in his.

     "Good. Now, off we go" he said with a step and I immediately retracted my hand. He looked at me puzzled.

     "I can't leave Ravenfall" I said while trying to reveal my mark, "I'm cursed".

     It didn't take but more than one quick glance for him to start rolling with laughter. Confused and becoming angry I shot him a look clearly meaning "stop, or else". Composing himself he cleared his throat and placed one hand behind my shoulder trying to identify what he could through the lace of my sleeve.

     "So that's how they got you to stick around. Clever." he purred. "Well you see my dear the secret about curses is that they can in fact be broken by the one that is cursed. As long as they are willing to try that is".

     "What do you know?" I fiercely protested.

     Demonstrating a non-submissive stance must have tickled him a bit because instead of retaliation he crooned "come and find out", once again offering me his hand with the dare.

     Whether it was an impulse driven by curiosity or an innate desire to prove him wrong, I felt compelled to appease him. Allowing my hand to linger above his created a tension similar to a magnetic pull; a pleasing sensation destroyed too soon as he abruptly seized my wrist to quickly lead me away from any view of Ravenfall.

     Sheltered by the veil of a willow tree we stood there, hand in hand, with Aden doing his best to convince me to cross the boundary. Growing up I was always told about my curse but never given an explanation as to what would happen to me should I attempt to venture from the grounds of Ravenfall. It was the fear of the unknown that kept me overly obedient for years and now the thought of breaking that obedience caused almost as much fear as not knowing what was about to happen to me.

     "I could die you know" came my poorest conceivable excuse to not proceed with this.

     He gave a half-heartened laugh, plainly amused by my attempts to persuade him not to do this. Again he tugged at my arm, gently reassuring me I'd be fine.

     "Why should I trust you? I don't even know you". It was a logical question though I believed I was asking it more of myself than of him.

     "Would you believe me if I told you that it was for your own good?" he said while taking a few steps ahead of me.

     For your own good...Those damnable words that seemed to lead every discussion that eventually would prove to cause me some sort of unrest. Hearing them made me recoil and sink to my knees; a result from the psychological pain.

     Gingerly he came to me and held me, doing his best to console me with the sweet serenade offered by his voice. I barely understood what he was saying to me but just having him near me made something turn within me and for some reason I couldn't explain, I found myself with the desire to trust him.

     Brushing the dirt from my gown I rose to meet his eyes, still burning with an unbridled passion unlike any I've ever seen before. Entranced by them, I barely felt the weightless transition to the warmth of his skin. We progressed only a few steps towards the boundary before I was engulfed within the protectiveness of his firm embrace. He held me close with the intimacy of a lover, whispering for me to take the step. I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing to mimic his. In an instant I felt my release from him as I took the final step that would ultimately change my life.



© 2016 Stacie Dayton


Author's Note

Stacie Dayton
also published on wattpad

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on March 3, 2016
Last Updated on March 3, 2016