Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
A Letter to a friend who lives far away

A Letter to a friend who lives far away

A Story by Sahil

I must admit I was scared and nervous. I felt clueless at times because I didn't know what would follow.

My eyes are teary as I write this piece.
Perhaps, maybe, that would help you in understanding how this feels like.

When I saw you there, waiting for me outside your hostel, my heart skipped a beat.

If you remember, I didn't say much that day and I regret that. I was too busy capturing your eyes, the shapes and curves on your face, that swollen nose and perfect lips, in my eyes.

I forget things very quickly. I wonder how every detail stayed.

I don't know if you noticed, but whenever I wasn't looking in your eyes, I stared at your hands.

Those small fists which would disappear in mine. That swollen wrist.

I admit I was so terrified on the thought of you leaving but I thought things won't change.

When we were walking back towards your hostel and you said you have to leave, I remember I said okay. I wish I hadn't.

I thought you would understand it wasn't okay.

I still believe you did.

I still wonder what stopped you that day.

From doing and saying everything.

You kept quiet, quiet like never before.

It did comfort me a little, when you said, what is the meaning of a relationship if it cannot sustain distance. I did not sleep that night.

I looked back, twice. You weren't looking back at me. But I know you did, not only because you said so. But because, you know, the whole story was so filmy, how could a little interval be normal.

It did hurt. I waited for your letter for so long. I still do.

I believe you did write that letter for me. But I won't lie, it was killing when you said you couldn't send it to me because you didn't find time.

I wait because I think it would have all the answers.

I am not afraid of the silence between us. And yes, I believe in friends who don't speak to each other for months, but still remain the same. But I feel scared at times.

I feel like I did something wrong and you are upset about it.

I know you are busy. And the f*****g time lag. But don't they just make time out just to stay connected? I remember you say, when we talked about a mutual friend on the phone, "He cannot be so busy that he can't just text once in a while".

When we talked over phone a few months back, you said, "you may call me sometimes".

I was terrified.

And when you didn't call even after you said, "I'll call you", all these days I have been explaining myself all kinds of possibilities.

I know I am an overthinker, but still.

Why have you stopped singing your heart out to me? I cannot stop questioning myself about it.

© 2017 Sahil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on November 26, 2017
Last Updated on November 26, 2017

Author

Sahil
Sahil

Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India



About
Not really a conversationalist! I write my heart out in my diary. more..