Liking Somebody

Liking Somebody

A Story by Here's What I Say
"

Wisdom from my 17-year-old self.

"

 

Liking somebody is a lot like being pregnant. You might think that liking somebody would be the cause of pregnancy. That often happens. But listen to what I say.
 
Liking somebody is like being pregnant. You two meet, and establish some kind of relationship. Somehow he gets inside of you (whether it may be physically, mentally, emotionally and/or spiritually). And something begins…
 
Starting to like somebody for the first time, like a pregnancy, is often a nerve wracking thing. You have no idea what to do or what to expect. It is at this point where somebody is turned to for professional help. Throughout the whole experience, it is emotional. The beginning is often the scariest part (even scarier than giving birth, for the bark is scarier than the bite). Like pregnancy, liking somebody is often unexpected and an accident…
 
Liking somebody, like a pregnancy, makes you very moody to say the least. One moment you’re all excited and happy, and it’s all you can think about. But for the next hour or so, you are depressed and upset, and it’s all you can think about. He’s all that occupies your every thought, and you start thinking about the potential of your future with this person. You fear every horrible thing that is conceivable in your already weary mind. But at some point, the sun rises and you start to think of all the possibilities that could be…
 
Liking somebody can give you such a split personality. On the outside, you seem to be at the pinnacle of misery. Tears roll down your cheeks a lot during the day, your womb begins to swell, and what often ails you would be headaches, nausea, and strange food cravings (i.e. comfort food- Dreyer’s Dreamery Black Raspberry Avalanche for me). The ones around you are effected by your pregnancy, some will do all they can to help you through it, others will tell you to suck it up and be strong. You seem to have the short end of the stick for life.
 
But though you are miserable outside, inside, you carry this beautiful creation that has the power to change the world around you (and maybe the world in general). Inside of you is this gift from God that He bestowed on you. It was not in your plan to have this will live inside of you, but if you choose to carry this blessing in disguise…the results are unpredictable. A rush and a little surprise can help spice up your life…
 
The womb of your soul waxes as time goes by, that is if you don’t miscarry in the meantime. It becomes more and more evident of the expected. It becomes so obvious to many people that in a sense…you’re pregnant. The life within you is beginning to become more and more on its own and it becomes more independent…taking on a life of its own. You are not in control of what it wants…or needs.
 
One unexpected day, the womb of your soul begins to ache…ache with a pain that an absence of good could only be the cause. Your soul is screaming with all the pain it possibly can…feels like it’s either about to be torn in two…or killed.
 
You can’t keep it inside of you anymore. It’s getting too big for your body to carry anymore. It can’t live inside of you anymore. It has a need to be on its own and to be in the world…the world is calling it to make changes. It has a will of its own…a destiny of its own…a calling…a vocation. It’s not that inside of you falls short of what it needs. It has everything it needs to flourish…not to mention surrounded by the warmth of your insides. But it belongs outside. It is meant to be outside…it is meant…to live. And to be lived.
 
You go into labor. It’s painful. And probably just as frightening as what you imagined. Your soul is still screaming in pain…and crying. The pain is just unimaginable. And the closer it is to being born…the more pain you are in.
 
But suddenly, you hear the sound of freedom. You feel freedom within you. You are no longer pregnant. Because liking somebody is the pregnancy of the soul. The birth...is falling in love.
 

 

 

 

© 2009 Here's What I Say


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this was amazing, and sparkling, and gently humorous. (especially the first two lines). I really really liked the analogy you have going on, and I feel like it's very true.. the only thing is, what kind of analogy would you come up with for a boy liking somebody? He's never going to feel pregnant. What would liking be like for him?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this was amazing, and sparkling, and gently humorous. (especially the first two lines). I really really liked the analogy you have going on, and I feel like it's very true.. the only thing is, what kind of analogy would you come up with for a boy liking somebody? He's never going to feel pregnant. What would liking be like for him?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was amazing! i never in a million years would have thought to compare liking someone with being pregnate. that was totally cind altering

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my gosh! This was amazing.
Ironically, I am currently pregnant. So, I understand when you say,

"Starting to like somebody for the first time, like a pregnancy, is often a nerve wracking thing. You have no idea what to do or what to expect."

And the more that I think about it, the more I completely agree that liking someone is very similar to being pregnant. Great, thought provoking write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2009

Author

Here's What I Say
Here's What I Say

Torrance, CA



About
I was born on July 3rd 1986 in Torrance, California, and grew up there all my life. I had a hankering to start writing when I was eight, but didn't start actively pursuing it until I was thirteen and .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..