Deep in the Dark, You'll Surrender Your Heart

Deep in the Dark, You'll Surrender Your Heart

A Chapter by Here's What I Say

 

“…so Renee, I think lavender really does your skin justice. Yeah…and if we get you just the right amount of flowers, you’ll look just like a goddess!”
 
“Are you just saying that because that’s what our costumes look like?” Renee smoothed out her silky blue skirt, with her matching lace high heels. Her tank top was tight fitting and the same color. Ann was dressed in an identical outfit except it was in vivid red.
 
“No, because I think it will work! Marian? Marian! You there, girl?” Marian looked up from the make up table.
 
“Hmm? What is it?” Ann lifted an eyebrow.
 
“Marian…are you sure there’s nothing you want to talk about?”
 
“Yeah, I’m fine.” Renee shook her head.
 
“You know, we already forgave you for what you did a month ago. C’mon, it’s May now, get with the party!”
 
“I’m trying to.” Ann bent down in front of her.
 
“Still upset over Frank?”
 
“I can’t help it, guys. I’ve never felt this way about a guy here, and I’ve gone out with some guys before…”
 
“That’s the key. You just went out. Like on a blind date or two. That’s about it. That’s not really enough time to establish a real connection.” Marian hung her head.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
One month earlier…
 
“…so Frank got it too?” Marian took another tissue.
 
“Yeah. Mahina, he only loved me because of the dust…”
 
“What bothers me is that he didn’t immediately start chasing you like James and Randall did to Renee,” Jacy said from the other side of the room. Mahina patted Marian on the back.
 
“Well…there’s not much of an explanation. James and Randall…I expected them to go crazy. But from what you’re telling me, Frank isn’t that kind of guy to go on impulsive decisions. Luckily, one of the guys who got laced with the spell apparently is more rooted in the ground than the other two.” Marian cried even harder.
 
“Oh, my dear, what is it?”
 
“I’m so in love with him…” Jacy shrugged.
 
“I’ve never seen you like this, Marian. But I’ve never seen you in love before either.” She lifted her head and let her light brown eyes, drowning, look at him.
 
“Jacy…” He came closer and kneeled next to the bed by Mahina and held onto her hand.
 
“Marian…are you sure you didn’t get the dust in your eyes, too? It works on male and female alike.” Marian shrugged.
 
“I’m not sure. The dust got everywhere in front of me, I know that. I think I would’ve seen the dust if it had gotten in my eyes.”
 
“Not necessarily. When it gets into the eyes, the person doesn’t see it. If it’s not in their eyes, they can see it. But once it’s in…it’s as good as invisible.” Marian sniffed and looked at Jacy.
 
“You’re telling me that I might only love Frank just because the dust got in my eyes too?”
 
“It’s a possibility, yes,” Jacy said. “Alright…think back, now. Was there a time when you were around him…and you felt something?”
 
“Like what?”
 
“Like little bursts of love, or thinking about him excessively?” Marian shook her head.
 
“No, not really…” Jacy went into thought.
 
“Alright. How about this? Even if you haven’t felt what could be associated with love, there is something else that is often disregarded and doesn’t always indicate a conception of love…has he ever said anything to you that may have appeared either innocent or unimportant but it’s bothered you to the point where you don’t understand it?” Marian’s eyes widened with revelation. Mahina looked at Jacy.
 
“Jacy…” He smiled at her.
 
“My love…she is not affected by the dust. The great news about your situation, Marian, is that no dust can overthrow what you feel. True love is stronger than anything in the mortal world, even in the immortal world. Which would make sense that your religion says that God is love. What you are feeling…no spell can destroy or damage. What your friends were going through was indeed love, but not a strong one. If James and Randall waited a while and let their loves grow and mature, they would have resisted the dust as well. Now, Marian…” Marian got up from the bed and blew her nose.
 
“Guys…I have reversed the spells. My job has ended. I’ll see you guys around. I’ll deal with this one solo. Bye.” Marian left the room. Jacy clasped Mahina’s hands into his before kissing her hands.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Ok…it’s time.” Marian stood up. Her outfit was identical to Renee and Ann’s, except the skirt was longer and the color was off-white. Of course Marian chose that color…
 
The stage was dark, with only the shapes of stars lit on the stage. They each took their positions. Even though it was dark, she could still make out the shapes of James and Randall, obviously awaiting to see their fiancées onstage. She put her hands up by her face and waited for the music to start…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
With such precision, the other performers in the back, whether male, female, dancer, singer, comedian or professional burper…they were all taken aback and now terrified of the dancers onstage, with their grace and movement. Jealousy, anger, awe and amazement raced across their eyes as they moved…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The freedom was gone. Marian felt no life or freedom moving across that stage. Ever since Frank had left her, all joy was sucked out of her life. Nothing seemed to be what it once was. What she said was true. Nothing was ever the same again.
 
But she knew what she had done, and now she was paying the price for her mistake.
 
…but you know that you
Can’t fight the moonlight
Because deep in the dark
You’ll surrender your heart
But you know
But know you that you
Can’t fight the moonlight, no
You can’t fight it…
It’s gonna get to your heart…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Marian was hugged for a numberless time as everybody congratulated the three for winning first. She watched as Randall picked up Ann and spun her in the air and James grabbed Renee in for the deepest and longest kiss she had ever endured. Marian smiled. Even though she had lost it…she was glad to have had it for as long as she did.
 
It was then that she was pulled aside. The arms seemed familiar…but yet…unfamiliar at the same time…
 
“…Frank?” It was too dark in the tiny corner of the auditorium he pulled her into. She couldn’t see him very well, but she could hear that he was sniffling…he had been crying!
 
“Frank? What’s wrong?” He took in a deep breath.
 
“Marian…I’ve…I’ve been thinking about you a lot…after what happened.” Frank cradled her face in his hands.
 
“I have no idea why I reacted like that. I ignored you for a month…I was thinking about all those times you pushed me aside and treated me like an outsider. Just this year…I started to really notice how alike we were. Separated from everybody else because of what we know and like…and definitely how we think. I’ve been denying everything I’ve felt for you because I’m an idiot who doesn’t know how to handle his feelings. Marian, I’ve never felt like this for anybody before. And I didn’t know this feeling, so for a while, I didn’t like it. So I treated you like you didn’t matter. Marian…for the longest time…for a few months, actually…Marian, I’ve been in love with you. You told me about the spells, and for a while, I didn’t think…oh God, I don’t know what to think! I didn’t really notice I was in love with you until that one day I told you off…you know, how I thought you were really negative and pessimistic? Right after I said that…I started to realize that I was in love with you. Then the spell came over me…but I felt just the same! But the need to express it was stronger than ever, so that’s why I was so affectionate with you. But I guess when you threw…whatever that was in my eyes, I figured it was an antidote. I lost the need to be affectionate. But I never stopped loving you. So I’m here now, because I’ve figured out how to handle my feelings. And I definitely know that there’s something here…because I had this dream-”
 
“You had a dream too?” Marian asked, with life brewing in her eyes again. Frank smiled, loving what he was seeing.
 
“Yeah. Of you and me. Dancing in what looked like a mist of these colors and we were the only two drenched in these colors. Everybody else was in gray mist. We were dancing to this song and…you told me I was handsome. And I told you that you were beautiful. And you said that I was beautiful because…you loved me…” Marian buried her face into his shoulder and wept. She held him tighter than if her life were depending on it…and perhaps it was. Frank held her around her waist and pulled her closer.
 
“Shh…don’t cry, you’ll mar that beautiful face of yours…yes, beautiful indeed. I love you, Marian. I’m sorry for all the pain I’ve caused you.”
 
“No, I’m sorry for all I’ve done. I’m not sorry that Ann, Randall, Renee, James’ loves have all grown though. They’re all getting married up in Washington during the summer. Double wedding, I think.” Frank smiled.
 
“Well…I say we give ourselves some time to be together before we join them, yes?” Marian smiled.
 
“Yes. Just because you professed love to me, I wasn’t expecting a proposal.” Frank smiled.
 
“So we’re actually going to wait, huh? Good, that makes love by far stronger…time makes it grow.”
 
“Yes. But just because we’re taking it slow doesn’t mean I’m going to make this slow,” Marian said, beginning with their first kiss for both of them…
 
                     
 
 
                                        THE END
 
 
 
 
 


© 2009 Here's What I Say


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was lovely. a good, fun read all around. thanks for letting me read it, steph.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 29, 2009


Author

Here's What I Say
Here's What I Say

Torrance, CA



About
I was born on July 3rd 1986 in Torrance, California, and grew up there all my life. I had a hankering to start writing when I was eight, but didn't start actively pursuing it until I was thirteen and .. more..

Writing