BMX - History, Facts and Types of BMX Bikes

BMX - History, Facts and Types of BMX Bikes

A Story by Stephen Shepherd
"

BMX is one of the most popular types of bicycles today, but its history reaches only several decades to the past. Here you can learn how the first models are made, and how big impact they had.

"
Ever since the 1970s, a new type of bicycles appeared on the market, spreading across the popular culture like a storm and providing millions of people around the world (mostly younger bicycle drivers) an opportunity to drive their bicycles in a brand new way. These were BMX bikes (short for “bicycle motocross”), bicycles that were created in early 1970s as a cheap and easy alternative of motocross, popular sport that gave idea to the cyclist of Southern California to mod their own bicycles and create light and versatile bicycles that could easily be used both in urban and dirt track environments. Their modding exploits were focused on the lightweight and rugged Schwinn Sting-Ray bicycle model, which was enhanced with better springs and stronger tires. These early BMX bikes were able to be driven fast across motocross terrains and purpose-built tracks, preform tricks and were a focus of attention of the Californian young adult audience that found those bikes a great alternative to the expensive motocross motorcycles.
The popularity of those early BMX bikes exploded with the release of the 1972 motorcycle racing documentary "On Any Sunday", which inspired youth across the entire United States to start building their own version of light off-road bicycles. Not long after, bicycle manufactures jumped to the occasion to offer new BMX models that soon became the driving force of official bicycle motocross sport. Many organizations were also formed to regulate the sport of bicycle motocross, starting with the National Bicycle League that was established in 1974 and many others that were formed later (National Bicycle Association, American Bicycle Association, International BMX Federation, Union Cyclist International …).
 
In addition to racing, BMX drivers also popularized the sport of freestyle BMX driving, preforming tricks, and creating elaborate stylized routines that are today enjoyed as the televised sport that headlines many Extreme Sporting events. The person who first popularized the sport of BMX Freestyle is Bob Haro, founder of the Mountain and BMX bicycle manufacturer company Haro Bikes.

© 2019 Stephen Shepherd


Author's Note

Stephen Shepherd
BMX bikes started in the early 1970s when children began racing their bicycles on dirt tracks in Southern California, drawing inspiration from the motocross superstars of the time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2661 Views
Added on May 1, 2019
Last Updated on May 1, 2019
Tags: BMX bikes, bicycle, best bicycle

Author

Stephen Shepherd
Stephen Shepherd

Austria



About
BMX Bikes started in the early 1970s when children began racing their bicycles on dirt tracks in Southern California, drawing inspiration from the motocross superstars of the time. more..