Shall I Compare Thee To a Grilled Cheese Sandwich?

Shall I Compare Thee To a Grilled Cheese Sandwich?

A Story by Ellay
"

How to Make a Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich

"

Grilled cheese: the perfect marriage between toasted bread and cheese. You more than likely overlook this simple dish as you deal with dishes such as filet mignon or chicken cordon bleu, but grilled cheese is a masterpiece. The matrimony of crisp toast and ooey gooey cheese is an art, an art that is easy to recreate using these elementary steps.

To begin, gather the essential materials and ingredients: bread, cheese, margarine or butter, a pan, a knife, a flipper, and cooking spray. No grilled cheese is ever complete without the perfect selection of bread and cheese. The most important part of this delicate process is to create  a pairing of bread and cheese that not only stimulates the taste buds but is visually pleasing. It would be simply unheard of to use a rye bread with bleu cheese. Therefore, using simple breads such as whole wheat or white are favored when using classic cheeses, notably American, Mozzarella, and Swiss. The pair that I find is a match made in heaven is whole wheat bread with swiss cheese.

Next, generously lather a layer of butter, or margarine, on one side of each piece of bread. Place those aside as you ready your pan. Using your favorite cooking spray, I prefer Pam©, shower the pan in a fine layer of the spray. You do not need much as the butter on the bread acts as a non-sticking agent. Turn your stove on to medium heat, or to whichever setting you deem appropriate depending on your type of stove. Post haste, place one piece of bread butter-side down in the pan. Then, delicately place the cheese of your choice on the bread. Above all, make sure that the layer of cheese is neither too thick nor too thin. If it is too thick, the likelihood of said cheese thoroughly melting decreases with every extra morsel, and if too little cheese is given, then the rich taste of the cheese will be overpowered by that of the toast. Once you’ve topped the grilled cheese with the last piece of bread, butter side up, the waiting process begins.

After a sufficient amount of time has passed, flip the grilled cheese over, mindful that not all the cheese melted and the toasted bread may slide off. They key to a visually pleasing grilled cheese is toast that is even, with not a crumb out of place. Each piece of bread must be in alignment with the other. Once the other side of the bread is toasted, you may want to flip it again if the crispiness is not to your liking. Nonetheless, your final step is to delicately, as you would a baby, place the masterpiece on your plate.

As you take a look at your finished creation, ponder this. Aren’t we all like grilled cheese? You and I, we act tough, but on the inside we all have feelings that make us soft on the inside. Not every grilled cheese is alike; different cheeses and breads set them all apart, as well as slight imperfections that are bound to occur, showing our different hardships. In essence, a grilled cheese sandwich, and the process that goes into making it, represent not only you and I, but the human condition.

© 2018 Ellay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh My, this is too good, I guess I just never thought about it like this.
very creative, enjoyed

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 20, 2018
Last Updated on January 20, 2018

Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay