Chapter 16: Doin’ Time

Chapter 16: Doin’ Time

A Chapter by Steven Ingels

Grady was checking on his engine when he smiled cigarettes coming his way, “you should quit it’s going to kill you.” Roscoe shrugged flicking the cherry off, “A lot of stuff can kill you.” Grady smiled shaking his head, “So how was your day” shutting the hood, “Crap” Roscoe said happily, “school was crap and my parents are getting a divorce.” Hm” “Grady sighed, “sorry to hear that, you okay?” Grady gave a nod, “I’m fine but my sisters aren’t.” Grady leaned against the truck wiping his hands off with a rag, “They’ll get over it, so I see you met Christy.” Roscoe folded is arms, “Yeah she’s pretty cool and she has an amazing voice. Have you heard her sing?”

                “I have” Grady said, “She’s like an angel coming down from heaven.” Roscoe threw up his arms, “That’s what I pretty much said, but the band teacher thinks she’s just okay.” “Well there is a lot of people out there that can make the right judgment call” explained Grady.” Yeah” Roscoe nodded his head, “so old man since I’m doing a life sentence here what was your life like” Asked Roscoe.” Grady smiled, ‘You’re really want to know?” Roscoe shrugged, “Well yeah it seems that everybody around here wants someone to get to know them first before getting them into bed.” Grady drowned is eyebrows, “Sorry not into men.”

                Roscoe threw his head back, “I mean getting girls into bed.” Grady laughed, “I know I’m just messing around, so you really want to get to know me.” Roscoe gave a nod, “Yeah your life know can’t be boring as it was back then.” Grady shook his head, “I’m going to forget that you said that” Grady thought for a moment, “Well Mr. Rizzo life was simple back then…

                Roscoe thought the story was going to be long and boring, but it wasn’t. it was long and vibrate. He travelled around the world with friends got to meet professional athletes and he had a family of his own. Grady’s life was one of a kind.

                In the pastures, Grady brang Roscoe to a large acorn tree. At the bottom it was a stone grave, “This is my beautiful wife Harriet Gilbert. She was my world.” Roscoe folded his arms, “how did she die?” Grady sighed softly, “In her sleep. It was one of those mornings that you just don’t want to get out of bed. I made breakfast so she could eat in in bed. When I walked in she was on the floor on her back. Right then and there I knew everything was going to change” Roscoe could see that Grady was in love with his woman, “She must have been great.” Grady nodded his head putting his hands into his pockets, “She was like the angel of the town. She worked with everyone. She didn’t have a bad bone in her body. Except in bed” Roscoe shook his head, “didn’t want to know that.” Grady chuckled, “when the kids or as in your words annoying birds came over her smile lit up like lights on a Christmas tree. She loved to talk to them, play games with then and dance. She made everyone happy. When she died everything changed for everyone. The nest was no longer with their mother.

                Grady took his warm hand out of his pocket and put it on Roscoe’s back, “Life is short Roscoe. Make it the way you want it and shove the bad away. You only live once so make it all the worthwhile” Roscoe remembered this speech from this morning and it didn’t really affect him until now, “Roscoe you okay?” Roscoe sighed, “Yeah just tired.” Grady took his hand off Roscoe’s back putting it back in his pocket, “go home and get some rest. I’ll see you tomorrow, “Love you woman” Grady said as he walked away.” Roscoe stared at the grove thing about when he was going to die and or much pain there is.

                Roscoe did exactly what Grady told him to do. He fell asleep through the night and the rest of the week. Mrs. Rizzo knew Roscoe need the rest it was like he hasn’t slept in years. Maybe it was because he had been running around with all the stress on his back from the gang.

The doghouse

                Stress rose for the gang because cops were scoping out there every move, so business was horrible. Drinking scotch at the bar Adam smiled looking towards the doors seeing Tank come in. he went missing after the shooting. Everyone in the building looked at him wanting a little piece of him, “son of a b***h” Adam set his drink down and walked over to him, “got a lot of nerve showing up here” pushing Tank in the wall, “F**k you” shouted Tank, “I kept your a*s and all these fuckers asses out of jail you should be thanking me.”

                “Oh we do” Skylar walked over with Rayne by his side,” Where have you been?” Tank threw up his arms, “I know business is slow, but I found people that could help us in and out of the doghouse.” Skylar turned to Rayne, “Have nice trip “kissing her on the cheek.” Rayne walked over to the doors thinking of whatever they have planned was going to turn into s**t, “Boss this little s**t is up to something” said Adam.” Probably” Skylar gave a nod, “but I still want to heart what this little s**t has to say. I was wrong I should have promoted you” Tank smiled as he and Skylar walked off the back. Adam didn’t like what was going on, but he really couldn’t do anything about it.

Rizzo House

Sunday 9:45 P.M.

                Coming down stairs roscoe was confused of what day it was, “Wow it’s good to see you awake” Said Mrs. Rizzo.” Roscoe scratched his head, “What day is it?”’ Sunday” Said Sidney, “What I slept for a week” Roscoe surprisingly said, “Why didn’t you wake me up?” Mrs. Rizzo smiled, “You were sleeping so peacefully plus you need that rest.” Roscoe bit his lip, “so why did I sleep for so long.” Noreen cleared her throat, “Well when someone has done a lot of moving around for such a long time you go into a sleeping state so the body could generate more energy. Do you feel rested?” Roscoe nodded his head stretching his arms, “Yeah I do, so what are you doing?” Making bows” Sidney held one up, “for Tatiana’s play. You want to help?” Roscoe quickly shook his head, “no way I’m good.” Okay” Mrs. Rizzo sighed, “So you okay with the divorce and everything.” Roscoe thought for a moment, “Yeah it’s going to be different without you in the house.”

                “I know” Noreen rolled her bottom lip, “But all of you van come and visit me during the weekends. I won’t be far away.” Roscoe nodded his head, “Yeah guess I just have to deal with dad and his rages,” Mrs. Rizzo put the material in her hands down and grabbed her son’s hands, “your father is a complicated man if you give him a chance he’ll give you a chance.” Roscoe was unsure about giving his dad a chance, but he did want back the relationship they did have before, “yeah I guess, well I’m going back to bed and can you wake up at six thirty.” Will do” Mrs. Rizzo let go of Roscoe’s hands, “Have a good night.” Yup night Sid” Roscoe waved his hand going back up stairs. Sidney smiled at her mom knowing everything was going to be okay with Roscoe.



© 2013 Steven Ingels


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

555 Views
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on July 8, 2013

Black and White - Bad to the bone


Author

Steven Ingels
Steven Ingels

Little Rock, AR



About
Let's see my name Is Steven Ingels. Writing is a time for me to let my creativity wander I'm 21 years old white male more..

Writing