I believe

I believe

A Story by Nichole Marie
"

My beliefs on family and friends. Weather or not blood really is thicker than water.

"

 

“Blood is thicker than water.” This is something I have often heard, but I could never wrap my mind around how it could be true. How can being blood related to someone make them family? How can that make your bond stronger than a friendship? To me, being blood related to a person doesn’t make them family; it just means you share the same blood.
 
            I believe that you choose who your family is. Of course you can’t help what family you are born into but to me that isn’t family. Its relatives and family and relatives are two completely different things. Family is people that you feel comfortable around, warm, fuzzy, like the sky could come falling down and everything will be okay because you’re with the ones you care for most. The only relatives that I do consider my family are my mom and grandma. My mom has always been there for me and taken care of me better than my father could have ever done. My grandma has always been the one that I could run to when I wanted to have a good time. We would watch our favorite shows, have discussions about shows, celebrities, it was endless. Whenever I’m around them I feel comfortable, of course my mom is my mom so I don’t always feel warm and fuzzy but that’s to be expected.
 
            I started to believe that I chose my family when my father started to ignore my existence. Buying me off and one phone call a year wasn’t enough and it tore me to pieces on the inside. I would hold in my screams and my tantrums and the names that I wanted to throw his way because I wanted to show him how much better off I was without him as my family. Family is a group of people who is there for you who care for you, who would do anything to be with you, to make sure you were okay. Family is close, caring, loving friends. And my dad, sister, aunt, uncle, they weren’t a part of that circle in any way shape or form. Whenever I do talk to them, I feel no connection with them. Nothing that gives us some reason of why we stay in contact, and being blood related wasn’t, isn’t, and will never be good enough.
 
            When I am with my real family, the family that I choose, I feel as if I am home. I feel safe and I never want the feeling to go away. My friends are the ones who makes me have this feeling and I would choose them for my family any day. In this family that I have created and chosen for myself, I have sisters, brothers, friends who have their motherly or fatherly moments. I have aunts, I have uncles, I have everything that I could possible need and want. Why feel bad about not having the perfect related family when I can have the perfect family of my choice? With this family I finally get to have the arguments with the brother I never had, and with the sister that I did have, but was never there. That is the greatest family a person could ever have, it’s the family that I love, it’s the family that I have, and it’s the family that I choose.

© 2009 Nichole Marie


Author's Note

Nichole Marie
I dont feel that I get my point across clearly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

no no, it gets across very clearly. Great peice of writing. Like a story but a journal at the same time. Totally makes sense and i agree. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 8, 2009
Last Updated on December 10, 2009

Author

Nichole Marie
Nichole Marie

Seattle, WA



About
My Name is Nichole I live in the Puget sound so it rains a hell of a lot, which is nice. Rain inspires me. I use to write a lot but for some reason I don't anymore, but I am currently working on a new.. more..

Writing