Echo

Echo

A Story by Moonbeam Rose
"

Star Wars Song Fiction

"

"Close my eyes
Let the whole thing pass me by
There is not time to waste asking why
I’ll run away with you by my side
I’ll run away with you by my side
I need to let go (let go, let go, let go) of this pride (Asking why?)
I think about your face
And how I fall into you eyes
The outline that I trace
Around the one that I call mine”


Mara sighed as she sat in the captain chair aboard the Jade’s Shadow. She was reading an old letter from Luke. He’d given it to her before they had ever thought of marriage. Now she sat there reading it again after their latest fight. She wondered if their love was really meant to be now. All they seemed to do was fight as of late. This fight had started like all of the others…

She’d just gotten back home from yet another mission. Talon owed her some much-needed rest before she’d take on another mission, or so she’d thought as she had headed home. She’d just started to walk threw the door when her comlink went off. She sighed softly as she answered it. “Jade here.”

“Mara, great I was just at the Shadow and I couldn’t find you.” Karrde’s voice filled her ear as she kept moving into the house that she shared with Luke and their son Ben.

“Why are you looking for me now Karrde?” She asked as she dropped her bag by the table in the hall.

“I need to ask you to go back out.” He started talking quickly in hope of cutting her off before she could start fighting with him. “I know that you just got back home after three weeks in deep space Jade, but please it’s my neck we’re talking about.” He pleaded with her.

She sighed as she listened and didn’t say anything. He noticed that she wasn’t speaking and started up again. “It’s about that shipment of ilum crystals that you handed off a few months ago.” He said.

She shut her eyes and tried to remember the shipment that he was speaking of and nodded. “Alright, what about them?” She asked, already she didn’t like this.

Talon sighed and she cursed softly under her breath. “Sorry Jade, but I need you to go and get the crystals again. They got grabbed before they could reach the Errant Venture. Booster’s in a bad mood about losing those crystals. I think that Solusar is giving him a hard time about them.” Karrde’s voice was tired as if he’d been on the com all night trying to find any other way to get those crystals that didn’t include the very tired Mara Jade Skywalker.

She sighed. “Alright, when do I head out?” She took down the information and killed the connection with him as she walked through the house trying to see if anyone was home. She walked to Ben’s room and found it empty. His bed had been made as always and his school bag was missing. “I guess he’s still out and about.” She sighed as she walked to the room that she’d shared with Luke. Once inside she smiled, it looked a bit better than she’d thought it would. His clothes weren’t all over the place, but instead in a messy pile at the foot of the bed. She shook her head slowly as she walked to the bed and pulled the covers back into place. Then turning she left the room heading back to the main living area. She walked over to the message pad and tapped the button that would allow her to see all of the messages that had been left that day.

The first image that appeared was an image of Wedge Antilles. “Hello Luke,” the voice that floated up from the recorder said. “I was just coming by to see if you were home but seeing as your answering system responded I guess you aren’t. If you get home and want to talk then feel free to come and find me at the Rogue’s hanger bay.” The image faded into static as the next one loaded. This time the image was of their niece Jaina. “Hey guys I was just passing by and thought I’d drop by and say hi. I haven’t heard from either of you two since Aunt Mara left. Are you both all right? Call me when you’ve got time.” Once again the image faded as the next loaded.

Shada stood there before her looking rather upset. “Ben, its Shada. Have you see or heard from Tahiri? We got into a fight and I haven’t seen her all day long. I’m starting to worry because I heard something saying that a girl matching her description was hurt out in space after stealing one of the unmanned X-wings. Come find me at home when you get this please.” The image faded as the system beeped at her telling her that there were no other massages. She turned as she heard the door open and smiled as she saw Luke enter the house.


“Time that called for space
Unclear where you drew the line
I don’t need to solve this case
And I don’t need to look behind”


Luke looked at Mara and smiled as she had moved from the table where the message system was and headed right for him. He dropped the bag he was holding at his feet as he opened up his arms and scoped her up. “Mara, I missed you so much. How was the trip?” He asked as he kissed her lightly on the lips. There would be time for more than that later.

Mara smiled as she kissed her husband back then sighed softly. “The trip was fine.” She said as she pushed out of his arms gently. “It’s the next one that isn’t going to be good.” She looked up at him her fiery green eyes meeting his ocean blue eyes. “I have to go back out in a few. The shipment of ilum crystals that I handed off a few months ago never made it to the Errant Venture. Karrde’s going to pay me extra for leaving tonight.” She sighed again as she moved to pick up her bag.

Luke stopped her with a hand on her arm. “Wait you mean to say that you just came by to say hi and then good-bye?” He asked slightly angry.

“She shook her head slowly. “No, that’s not it at all Luke.” She said as she reached for him. “I got the call right as I walked through the door.”

He pulled away from her touch and moved farther into the house. “Why didn’t you tell him that you couldn’t do it? Why didn’t you mention to him that you just got back and that you haven’t seen your husband or son for three weeks?” He said hotly as he walked into the living area.

She shook her head slowly. “I tried that but he needs my help Luke.” She said softly as she started for him.

“Fine then just leave then Jade.” He snapped at her his eyes taking on a cold look to them that made her stop in her tracks.

“Is that what you want me to do Luke?” She asked softly as she felt her heartbreak at that look.

“Do what you want Mara. That’s what you’re always good at anyways.” He said as he turned and walked into the bedroom slamming the door behind him.

She sighed again as she turned and grabbed the bag up off the floor and headed out of the house. She hurried down to the hanger where the Shadow was. Once there she headed up the ramp and sat in the seat that she’d left no more than a few hours ago. She sighed softly as she looked around the cockpit, digging in hideaways that she’d put things into long ago in hopes that she’d remember them at some point and time and find them when she needed them most.

That’s how she’d found the letter that she was reading right now. Her comlink went off yet again and she let it beep. She hadn’t answered it the last two times someone had tried to call. Why should she now? She skimmed the letter over slowly and sighed.


“Close my eyes
Let the whole thing pass me by
There is no time
To waste asking why”


The letter was simple and to the point. In it he told her a lot of things. About how training to be a Jedi would be good for her and about how he was sorry that his father killing the Emperor had ruined her life, as she’d put it. But he did hold out hope for her that she would see hoe the new republic would work out if only she believed in it. How he was more than willing to help her training and how he thanked her so much for her help when Luuke had tried to kill him back on Wayland.

She smiled softly as she read it again. It had been a long time since she’d last read it but right now she felt that it would be a good time to think about his words.


“So I’ll run away with you by my side
I need to let go of this pride
Until this echo in my mind
Until this echo can subside”


“Dear Mara, I hope that you don’t mind how you found this letter. I know that you hate me with a passion and I hope that the hatred that you felt for me has left you since you took care of Luuke. I’m sorry that I placed this letter in your breast pocket.” She smiled softly as she touched the pocket without knowing she was wearing the same flight suit that she had the day she found the letter. “I really hope that you will come and take me up on that training that I offered you. I know that you can recollect some of that lost knowledge that you where talking about. But till then may the force be with you always Mara Jade. Sincerely yours, Luke Skywalker.”

“I’ll run away with you by my side
I’ll run away with you by my side
I need to let go (let go, let go, let go) of this pride (asking why?)”


She sighed softly as she folded up the letter and picked up her com. She was going to call Karrde and tell him that he’d have to find another to person to run the mission. She was going to stay home with her husband and son. She smiled as the other line started to ring.

“Talon Karrde here how can I help you today?” He asked as he waited for the answer that he’d hoped for all day long.

“Karrde, it’s Jade. I’m not going.” She said simply as she looked at the folded letter sitting in her lap.

“What?” He practically yelled at her as she heard a loud clang and then him cursing loudly.

“I’m not going Karrde. Find someone else for the job. Good-bye.” She cut the connection and smiled at herself as she sat there in her seat and looked down at the letter again.


“Do I expect to change
The past that I hold inside
With all the words I say
Repeating over in my mind
Some things you can’t erase
No matter how hard your try
An exit to escape
Is all there is left to find.”


She sighed softly as she leaned back in her chair. She shut her eyes softly as she reached out with the force and felt her husband. He was still upset with her about leaving. She smiled a bit as she touched his mind softly. She pressed what felt like her fingertips against his arm and watched as he turned quickly the anger still fresh in his eyes as she caught sight of his face. She shook her head. “This just won’t do Skywalker.” She murmured softly. She watched as he paced around the room that they’d shared for a long time now. She watched as he looked at the different holos that she’d set up of them. The holo of their wedding was set on their dresser while the holo of them holding Ben for the very first time was on the stand by the bed.

She shook her head as she pulled away from Luke. Resting her head back on the headrest she smiled softly as she thought of her young son. He was growing so fast. She was starting to wonder if he’d need her in his young life for much longer. Already he was striking out on his own and trying the bridges of safety that both Luke and she have tried to set up for him. She knew that it would be only a matter of time before he left the nest and went off on his own for good. She wondered it Leia had every felt like this with any of her children.


“Close my eyes
Let the whole thing pass me by
There is no time to waste asking why
I’ll run away with you by my side
I’ll run away with you by my side
I need to let go (let go, let go, let go) of this pride
Until this echo (echo, echo, echo) in my mind
Until this echo (echo, echo, echo) can subside”


Luke sighed as he moved out of the bedroom and headed to the hanger bay to see if he could talk to Mara before she left. He wasn’t happy with this quick departure but he didn’t want her to leave unhappy with him either. He loved her far too much to let her leave with that kind of pain in her heart. He reached the Hanger and noticed that the Shadow was still there, much to his surprise, also she wasn’t powering up. He noticed that the boarding ramp was still down so he hurried up it and headed right for the cockpit. He smiled as he noticed Mara sitting back in the chair looking as if she was asleep. He smiled as he watched her for a bit. She was still the most beautiful woman that he’d ever met in his life. He was so happy with her, if only he could calm down and not get so over worked some times then everything would be fine.

He sighed as he started to turn to leave. “Where are you going Skywalker?” Her voice caught him as he started back for the boarding ramp to leave.

He stopped. “I was just coming to talk to you and say I’m sorry about what was said back at the house.” He smiled as he headed back towards her.

She opened her eyes and smiled back at him. “It’s alright my love. I called Karrde back and told him that I wasn’t going to be able to do the run after all. He didn’t get a chance to argue with me because I hung up on him.” She smiled at Luke as she turned in her chair and stood up. She walked over to him the letter in hand as she looked into those eyes that had captured her heart so long ago. “I found this.” She said handing it to him when she reached him.

He took the letter and read it over then smiled. “You still have this old thing?” He asked. “I would have thought that you’d have thrown it away a long time ago.”

She smiled “I was going to when I found it but I ended up keeping it for some reason. I guess this was it.” She said as she wrapped her around his neck and kissed him.

He kissed her back dropping the letter as he took her in his arms and slowly started moving back towards their personal quarters on the Shadow. Once at the room he pushed the door open as he walked back into the room, pulling Mara with him the whole way. After they hit the bed everything became a bit of a blur as clothing disappeared faster than one could say “hyperspace”. He looked up at the naked beauty above him and smiled lovingly at her before he pulled her down to kiss those full lips.

“I love you too Skywalker.” She whispered just before her lips met his and time stood still from that moment on.


“Close my eyes
Let the whole thing pass me by
There is not time to waste asking why
I’ll run away with you by my side
I’ll run away with you by my side
I need to let go (let go, let go, let go) of this pride
Until this echo (echo, echo, echo) in my mind
Until this echo (echo, echo, echo) can subside"

© 2008 Moonbeam Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awwww I really need to go the writing section of the Heart more often so I can read these wonderful works of yours that I so adore. You're writing always makes me smile and have the most wonderful visuals in my head my dearest Stickz.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 27, 2008

Author

Moonbeam Rose
Moonbeam Rose

Santa Maria, CA



About
Hey there, my name is Kat. I love to write, especially fanfiction and poetry. I am a huge Star Wars, Twilight and Harry Potter fan. I also RPG as a few characters in each aspect. I am a very proud Wic.. more..

Writing