Knightly Visions

Knightly Visions

A Story by StonyB
"

A short story inspired by the story of Camelot

"

The battered knight lay on the edge of the cool water of the lake. The battle was fierce and though it was now won he had only made it this far for a cool drink and to rest a while. He gazed out unto the waters knowing that somewhere out there in the mists was the Isle of Avalon, and its guardian the fair Lady of the Lake. The wounded knight fell into a deep slumber and whilst he slept the world became dark around him. In his mind’s eye he could see her approaching, a lady in a white silk gown, more beautiful than any he had ever seen and he knew her instantly, the Lady of the Lake. The lady knelt next to the fallen knight and dressed his wounds carefully, singing a gentle lullaby as she went about her work. The knight’s wounds were grievous and the song she sang combined with the dressing of his wounds were bound together in the sweet magic of life. It was this lady’s intent to revive this fallen warrior, for she had a purpose that needed fulfilling and this lone knight would be her faithful servant for this task. When her work was finished she leaned forward and gave the knight a gentle kiss on his forehead and placed beside him a gleaming sword of ancient origins. This sword had been held by few men and would now suit her purpose very well. It was time to reunify the lands of her fathers under the banner of this battered knight. He alone possessed the honor and integrity to see it done in the fashion that she wished and she would follow him every step of the way. He was kind of handsome she thought to herself as she took one last look at the fallen warrior. Then she disappeared into the mists by which she had come as the sun began to rise over the lake.

                The young knight woke with a start. Realizing that he felt better than he had in some time and remembering his vision of the lady, he reached for the sword that lay now beside him. Excalibur, bestowed upon him by the Lady herself, it had not been a dream. The young knight mounted his horse spurred by his good fortune; he raced to spread the news to his comrades in arms. The wielding of the mighty Excalibur was enough to convince them and soon the lands became united under this single knight who would become king. From time to time, the new king would visit the lakeside in hopes of catching a glimpse of his fair lady but never in the years he spent going to the lake did he ever catch so much as a whisper of his fair Lady of the lake. This simple knight become king ruled his lands with all the honor that he possessed. A fairer king was never known in the history of the land and he was loved by all. The king fought at the forefront of his armies to bring peace and prosperity to the common man of his lands and was revered as a saint to many of his peoples. Many years passed and the once young knight was now an old king. He remembered with great clarity the day beside the lake and wished to himself for a glimpse of his fair lady.

                One afternoon the king ordered himself a horse. He would go for a private ride and though his guardsman didn’t think it was prudent he was their king and was to be obeyed without question. The old king rode this day to the lakeside where his journey with Excalibur and his new found fame had begun. With Excalibur snug on his hip he sat beside the same tree as he once had. He waited and waited but no one appeared. The old king finally dozed off for a bit, to rest his tired eyes. Once again in his minds eye he saw her, his sweet Lady of the lake as she emerged from the mists of Avalon. The lady took up his sword. Then she reached for the old king’s hand. “Your quest is complete fair knight” she whispered into his ear. “It is time to come home”.

                When their king did not return the soldiers of his keep began to search, fearing the worst. At the lakeside, where he would often sit gazing into the mists far out unto the lake they found his horse and a small stone monument. I have gone to my lady and I shall not return. I have served mankind all that I can, and my days here are gone. Do not forget that kindness and honor are most revered. That love of your fellow man is a great gift. The kindness of a smile and goodwill are free and god loves us all.

 

© 2012 StonyB


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Simply beautiful. Anyone intimately familiar with the stories of King Arthur, or the Druid legends from the Wales should have a small smile and a tear in there eye upon reading this.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 7, 2012
Last Updated on October 7, 2012

Author

StonyB
StonyB

Saratoga, IN



About
I've just turned 39, after 20 plus years in construction I've decided to slow down and pursue something I love, and have never been brave enough to jump into feet first. I have always loved to write a.. more..

Writing
The Roasted Pig The Roasted Pig

A Chapter by StonyB


Fight or Flight Fight or Flight

A Chapter by StonyB