Not That Handsome

Not That Handsome

A Story by Street Poet
"

My appearance? Here's how I feel about it.

"
I am not handsome.

I look into the mirror each morning and that's the first thought I hear repeating in my head in constant negative rotation. I have some days where I feel that I look decent enough for the beautiful world around me, but most days I don't. I take a glimpse at my imperfect reflection and reflect on my earlier days.

"YOU'RE SO BLACK... YOUR HAIR SO NAPPY... YOUR LIPS SO BIG..." Those constant jokes described my school days. Mind you I never took them too personal, however I looked at the world a bit different since then. Maybe I'm not Tyrese Gibson, Idris Elba, or Denzel Washington. You know the guys women drool over and have a crush on and dream about and all that good stuff. Yeah I wasn't that guy. Maybe their fame and fortune won that type of attention or just a pure case of "right place, right time" allowed them to be in the perfect moment to excel. Either way, I knew that as I grew up, I wasn't the heartthrob type. I didn't and don't have the sex appeal that these stars have. I don't have the muscles and build of those caliber of people. I'm simply me. A dark skinned average guy with nothing more to offer than personality and heart and I'd like to think that's where my true beauty lies. Personality of a humble gentleman who lives life to make others smile and find their beauty even when I'm still searching for mine.

And for the women that was digging me, I'm not to sure what they saw. As for the love of my life, I still can't find what she saw in me. But I'm grateful that she could see much more then my appearance. And as I got older, I was called handsome a lot but I still couldn't truly feel it. I'd say thank you because a compliment is better than none, but I couldn't feel it. It never took root into my heart where I could really feel it.

© 2016 Street Poet


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on December 29, 2016
Last Updated on December 29, 2016
Tags: handsome, deep, Beauty

Author

Street Poet
Street Poet

Cincinnati, OH



About
Poetic soul. Ink runs through my veins like the blood that gives me life. more..