Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Strife
"

The next one but I don't think it's finished yet. It's supposed to show how cynical Ashe is and his "code."

"

 

It seemed that this place wasn’t exactly booming with excitement. Ashe went to his math, English, and History class with nothing worth remembering. It wasn’t like he could remember. All he thought about was that mysterious girl he saw in the library. Teachers would lecture and students would either study or gossip while Ashe just stared out the window.
 
‘Who was that girl? Should I find her? What classes does she have? What classes would she have? Should I even try talking to her? She probably already has a boyfriend. Wait, why am I thinking like this? I just met her. I didn’t even say anything. I don’t even know her name. Then…then how come I just can’t stop thinking about her?’
 
“Excuse me Mister Corvis.” Ashe broke from his thoughts to see the teacher looking down at him. “The bell rang about six minutes ago. As flattered as I am, I’d appreciate you getting out of my classroom.”
 
Ashe nodded and shifted in his chair pretending to look for something. He pulled his hat over his head and walked over the room. Ashe shook his head, ‘Was this entire school ran by d*********s?’
 
“Not super great is it?” Drake patted Ashe’s shoulder. “The teachers are like that, but whaddya gonna do? Ya’ know?”
 
“Uh…yeah,” Ashe took a deep breath and eyed Drake for a moment. “Hey, Drake, do you know a lot of people here?”
 
“Something like that. Why? You saw someone?”
 
Ashe nodded. “Do you know the girl who dresses in black and purple? I think she had long hair but it was tied back and pinned up.”
 
“Uh…” Drake’s eyes wandered around looking for an answer. “I think you’re talking about Nia.”
 
“Nia?”
 
“Yeah. At the library right?” Ashe nodded. “Yup, that’s Nia. She spends a lot of time there.”
 
Ashe hung his head and looked away, “Do you know her?”
 
“No. Not really.”
 
“Well…what do you think of her?”
 
Drake laughed and then shook his head. “I don’t. I’m not into weird, moody, gloomy girls who do nothing but read and stuff. She hardly even talks to anyone.”
“I see…”
 
“So what do you have next?”
 
Ashe pulled out this schedule from his pocket and read, “Lunch.”
 
“Lucky you. I gotta wait ‘till sixth period to have lunch. Just don’t eat the pudding. It’ll kill ya.” Drake adjusted the position of his bag and gave a small wave as he turned. “See ya.”
 
Ashe shoved his schedule back into his pocket and started towards the cafeteria. ‘Weird,’ he thought. “Nia.”
 
--------------
 
The cafeteria was like a one of those buffet tables where you pick up your food; everyone was separated into little groups or herds. Ashe thought it might be alright to sit in one of the empty tables in the back. He didn’t feel like making friends today.
 
Ashe picked up his tray and turned around. A girl walked up to him, “Hey new guy, do you wanna sit with us?” She pointed towards a table with an empty seat.
 
He recognized her from his English class. Or was it history? He didn’t really care. It’s not like he was going to be the attention craving new guy. “I guess so,” he muttered. Ashe walked over to the table and dropped his tray on the table. Everyone around the table had cheeky plastic smiles on their faces. ‘What’s their problem?’ Ashe thought. He took his seat only to have it fall back, making fall on his butt.
 
Half the cafeteria erupted in laughter. Ashe pulled himself up and saw the same girl laughing with two tall guys beside her.
 
“What a loser,” said one.
 
“I can’t believe he fell for that,” said the other.
 
Ashe clenched his fist and glared at them, catching their attention.
 
“What’s wrong loser? Can’t take a joke?”
 
“What’s he gonna do? Fight us?”
 
“Yeah, come on tough guy. Hit me.”
 
Ashe tightened his fist but did nothing. They grabbed Ashe and threw him to one side. “Get lost loser.”
 
Ashe marched over towards the back of the cafeteria when Sue started following him. “So how come you didn’t do anything? You could have at least told them off.”
 
Ashe turned to Sue, “To what point? No matter what I would have done I would have just gotten beaten up anyway. No one would have taken my side and you all would have just sat there.” He turned back around and left Sue standing there, “You all are so selfish.” Ashe ignored whatever Sue had to say and trailed off to the corner table. He turned his back on the student body and buried his head in his arms.
 
“Are you okay?” asked a small voice.
 
Ashe lifted his head and saw the cute girl he’d seen earlier, Nia. She was sitting in front of him with her tray on the table and the black book in her hand. He could feel his ears getting hot and froze in place as if moving would make her disappear.
 
“Yeah,” was all he could manage.
 
“The upperclassmen are like that,” her voice was soft almost like a whisper. “You forgot your lunch.”
 
“Huh? Oh yeah, I guess I did.”
 
“You can have mine if you want.” She pushed her tray towards him.

"Aren't you hungry?"

 

Nia lifted a small silver pouch, "I already got some."

 

"You're gonna need more than just a juice pouch for lunch."

 

Nia smiled and shook her head, "It's more than just juice."

 

Ashe decided not to go any further. He grabbed the chicken sandwich and took a bite. 'Well,' he thought, 'I guess I should thank her.' After swallowing his food, Ashe looked over his shoulder making sure no one was going to sneak up on him. He turned back and saw that Nia had disappeared. He lifted his head and looked around but couldn't find any trace of her. "At least she didn't do that 'walking against the wind s**t,'" he said to himself.



© 2008 Strife


Author's Note

Strife
Not done yet. Will edit later. Still tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh, cool. She talked to him. I like it. It's working very well. Let me know when you get the next part up.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on October 22, 2008
Last Updated on November 2, 2008


Author

Strife
Strife

McAllen, TX



About
I'm Strife, and I joined because I'm aspiring writer (sorta) and I just wanted to make sure whatever I write doesn't end up being horrible. I don't have a favorite author, but I probably should. Sayi.. more..

Writing
A Dream A Dream

A Poem by Strife