World of Change

World of Change

A Story by Amanda
"

A short Walking Dead fanfic, based off of episode thirteen, "Beside the Dying Fire". Things are changing, and you'll get lost if you can't keep up...

"
“I’m doing what’s best for you!” Rick snarled, anger clenching his muscles. Why couldn’t they understand that? “Everything I do for you is to protect you all!”

Carol’s timid face looked affronted, and he could see Sophia shuffling towards him every time he blinked. Pushing thoughts of the twelve year old away, he glanced around at the rest. Maggie was clutching her sister and father and Glen stood by her. He wondered if they were fine.

Rick’s dark eyes slid to Hershel, mimicking his daughters. That old man, he’d been what was best for a time. Now his farm had been left to the mercy of the walkers, and Hershel was and Rick, well, they were one group now, not two divided.

For a second thoughts of Dale Horvath wormed their way into his mind, making his fists unclench the slightest bit. Would he be proud? Was he happy up there in heaven with Amy and the wife Rick had never met?

Speaking of Amy, Andrea was not with them. Nobody knew what had happened to her for sure and it made Rick uneasy to think she was dead too.

Did the others think he wanted this heavy burden? That he wanted Jim, Amy, Sophia, Dale, Hell, even Merle on his mind? Thoughts of the dead plagued him…

When Rick turned to look into Lori’s eyes, his safe haven for this world besides Carl, of course. The still did not look convinced. “I killed my best friend for y’all! I did it, because it was best for you, for us!”

Rick wanted to break as he saw Shane reflected in his wife’s eyes for a moment. She pushed away from him, disgusted. Carl, his precious, precious son, was staring at him.

Out of everything in the world, Rick hated that the most. It had done so much damage to his young son. He could still feel that horrible, indescribable fear as Shane, Otis, and he had run to Hershel’s farm after Carl’d been shot.

“I am done. You don’t want me to make the decisions anymore? Fine! I f*****g second that. But do not treat me like I asked for this…like I asked to be the one y’all depended on!” Rick marched away, not too far but far enough to clear his head. If he was going to be the leader, it wasn't going to be a f*****g democracy anymore.

For a moment, a different Shane flickered before Rick; his best friend gone hateful and evil by this world. Before this had ever happened, Shane never would have slept with Lori, never would have tried to kill his best friend, his faux-brother.

When the world changed, it brought along Shane for the ride.

~~~~ 

Later, where Rick couldn’t hear, Carol muttered to Daryl, “We're not safe with him - keeping something like that from us. Why do you need him? He's just gonna pull you down.”

Daryl looked into the fire for a moment, seeing Sophia seem to flicker on the other side of the flames. “No, Rick's done right by me.”

Carol looked surprised and then determined, “You're his henchmen and I'm a burden. You deserve better.”

Daryl looked at her, feeling anger stir in his stomach. He was not Rick’s henchman. “What do you want?”

Carol barely hesitated before saying scornfully in Rick’s direction, “A man of honor.”

Daryl snorted, his anger at the group’s scorn for Rick boiling up. Who were they to say he was a bad man when all he’d ever done was help those pansy-asses to survive?

“Rick has honor,” he said gruffly, pulling up from his crouch and walking away. He stopped for a moment, turning to address all of them now. “If you can’t see that, then you don’t deserve any of this.”

~~~~~

The group was changing, they all knew it. Their numbers had dwindled and re-sized many times already, what could possibly come next? They’d lost friends whom had become their families, children, safe havens. They were in a world of change now and they were sure they’d come to terms with that.

But they only knew so much in a world that could only provide so little.

Far off into the distance,
Somewhere you can’t see,
Allegiances have formed your destiny…

© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
This was written under the influence of Kari Kimmel's "Black", used in the season 3 trailer. You should really listen to it, it is an AMAZING song. I feel like I have to add this conversation between the group and Rick in for the second part of this story to make sense. It takes place in the same episode, same scene really.
Rick Grimes: I killed him. I killed Shane. He came at me. He killed Randall to get me in the woods. He planned it. I had - I had no choice. I gave him every chance... and he kept leading me further out. He pushed me, and I let him. After awhile, I knew - I knew what he was doing, what he was up to. And I kept going. I didn't stop. I could have, but... I just wanted it over. Dogging me every step of the way. Acting like I stole you and Carl, like... like I was in the way. I just wanted it over. I wanted him dead. I killed him. He turned. That's how I knew Jenner - Jenner was right. Carl put him down."

Well, there ya go. I hope you enjoyed :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it :) Amazing writing! I don't have any critique, it was perfect! I'm glad I'm not the only one who writes about zombies :) 100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Schyala

11 Years Ago

That's what my series is about haha
Amanda

11 Years Ago

Mine ended up being more romancey than gorey, but im still proud of it. Ill have to read yours!
Schyala

11 Years Ago

I'll have to read yours too! Send me a read request and I'll send you mine

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 17, 2012
Last Updated on August 17, 2012
Tags: the walking dead, beside the dying fire, season 2, finale, rick, shane, lori, daryl, reflect, zombies, change

Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda