Let It Rain (One)

Let It Rain (One)

A Chapter by Amanda
"

A little something to make you want to read more...I hope.

"

Every word,
Let it hurt,
Even more than I deserve
-Let it rain




“Emma…” My name was being called from far away. I tried to respond, but found I couldn’t. “Emma!” The voice was laughing, filled with amusement at something I didn’t know.

I could finally open my eyes. “Emma, there you are! I knew you’d eventually come round.”

My arms are restrained I think and I am sitting in a chair. But I can’t feel it. I lazily look at the person who’d spoken. It was a man with a leather jacket and a hatchet. Chris. What was Chris doing here? Where was Adam?

“Chris…” I tried to say, but it came out as a muffled moan. I was gagged as well.

“That’s right, you little b***h. You’re finally gonna get what you deserve. I shoulda done this the moment you walked in with that f****t and that little girl.” Chris laughs, his thick brown mustache twitches as he strokes the blade. “But I knew they’d turn against me if I murdered a little girl’s mama, specially in this world, without a reason other than my justice.”

He laughs again and my eyes widen in fright. “Now I got a reason. I get to say that you really wasn’t immune at all, just lucky. You turned while on my watch. You attacked me, what else was I ‘sposed to do? A zombie needs killin, don’ it?”

And with that, he raised his hatchet. In the seconds it took him to swing, the door banged open. I saw Adam, pain and shock painted on his face. “NO!”

His hand reached out,  Chris looked away, and I closed my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3 Weeks Earlier

“Are you kidding me? It’s those stupid retchers, man!” I walked away from the TV as it showed our stats. We have a big picture window in between the kitchen and living room so I could still see it.

My uncle laughed in his high-pitched guffaw, “Nah, it’s those crawlers! They come outta nowhere!”

We were currently discussing the previous match we’d just played of Undead Overrun in Red Dead. Red Dead is short for Red Dead Redemption, a game my videogame-playing family frequents. It was only me and my uncle in the Party, as my dad had passed out from his long day at work already. A Party is basically just  a chat over Xbox LIVE, it’s like your avatars are at a ’party’.

Anyway, we’d only gotten a silver metal for the round we played. It had gone into Sudden Death when my uncle had bled out and I was running for the new weapon that had appeared. I poured myself a glass of orange juice as the next round started. Sitting on the arm of my large comfy chair, the deep voice that always occurs before it starts made me smile.

“It’s not a question of when you will die, but how.” It’s kinda sadistic sometimes, and the voice is probably on the zombies’ side judging from the way the pre-recorded phrases sound.  And so we began our strategic running for the coffin, and finding a good vantage point. None of that mattered if you had crappy guns. My favorite was the high power pistol and I usually picked whichever group it came in.


Halfway through our match my phone went off and when I was downed, I picked it up.

Adam: Heyy

Emma: Wazzzzzapp

Adam: nm just waiting, wbu?

Emma: Red Dead

Adam: u know, sometimes I think you like videogames more than me!

Emma: Never ;)

Adam was my best friend in the world. He lived a few streets down from me and we frequently snuck out to see each other. His uncle didn’t like me, and that was kind of a problem because they live together. There was an nonverbal agreement that I wasn’t really allowed over there.

Adam’s girlfriend, however, was the apple of Kiegan’s (Adam’s uncle) eye. Sierra was tall, blond, the whole package. She’s not mean, just not exactly the cuddliest bunny in the pen. Especially with girl’s that slobbered after Adam.

Adam Wrigley was hot, sexy even. I knew for a fact that he had an undefined six pack under the plaid he usually wore. He had onyx hair and blue eyes that were almost purple. A lot of girls at school chased after him. Even though he was dating Sierra.  They’d been going out since for several months now, since the middle of junior year.

Adam: TAP?

That was code for time and place. It did not mean he wanted to know if I was up to tap that.

I was playing with my uncle for a few more minutes before I could respond to his text. “Yeah baby! That’s what I’m talking about!”

We’d placed gold, which meant in increase of 1,000 points, boosting me to level 36.  “Aight., I gotta take a shower before Devon wakes up. See ya Emmie.”

“Bye, Uncle Eric.”

Emma: Summercrest, 1:15

Adam: till then milady ;)

I was now totally bored and had nothing to do for two hours. Summercrest was a string of beaches along the coast, where we lived. It took me about fifteen minutes to get there, if I was walking. When I walk, I enjoy the scenery, get lost in the moment. I love the night.  

I could hear my mom stomping up from her bedroom. I internally sigh, and remind myself that it’s just two more hours and then I can see Adam.  “Who left my door open?”

The door hadn’t been open, just not fully closed. “Me, probably…”

“How many times have I told you not leave it open? I have that damn humidifier on for a reason!” The words are so harmless, but the venom she injects into every word makes my temper rise.

“Well, sor-ry,” I say sorry in my sarcastic way, drawing it out like usual. “I forgot that the ice queen needs her room nice and cool so she doesn’t melt!” S**t. You know, sometimes I just don’t have a verbal filter and I speak before I can realize the consequences of what I’m saying. Oh, I know what I’m saying, and I know how to make it hurt, too.

My mom’s face might be beautiful, but to me it isn’t. Maybe at one time it was, but it has been distorted into something ugly and hateful. That’s probably my fault too. Now, her face was red, shocked and angry. Looks like tonight is another fighting match. Well, ding, ding m**********r, cause I sure as hell don’t back down.

“You - dare- talk - to -me-like-that!” Her words come from clenched teeth. She steps closer to me, but I don’t flinch and match her stare. “You treat me like dirt around here! I don’t deserve it! You-treat-me-with-the-respect-I-deserve, or you’re life is going to get a lot worse.”

“And what if I don’t respect you?” I asked innocently. “Because, really, that’s the problem, I don’t have any respect for homewrecking-skankasaurus-rexes.”

And then she slapped me. I’m not talking light tap, either, I’m talking like full-out-leave-a-mark b***h slap. She’d slapped me before, even tried to choke me, but never anything as hard as this. I felt tears sting my eyes, though not as much as my FACE! I didn’t look at my mom as I uttered the words, “F**k you,” for a second time in my life.

I grabbed my sweatshirt and my phone and banged out the door. I pulled up my hood and stuffed my hands into my pockets. I walked all the way to Adam’s house and snuck into his backyard.  I quietly threw little dirt balls at his window until he opened it.

“Emma?” he asked me in a hushed tone.  I could see the complete confusion on his moonlit face.

“Hey,” my voice came out as a croak as I turned my face up to him.

“Wait, are you crying?” He didn’t wait for an answer and was by my side in about a minute. He put his arm around my shoulder and led us to a safer spot. Within a few minutes we came to the beach, a result of him living closer than I. We settled in the sand and he turned me to face him. “Why are you crying?”

“M-my m-mom.” Adam didn’t know the extent of my mom and my’s relationship. I guess he was going to find out now. Exhaling shakily, I pulled my hood down and closed my eyes.

I heard him suck his breath in in horror. I guess my face was worse than I thought. I slowly opened my eyes, afraid to see the judgment.

That’s not what I saw. Adam had a mix of horror and anger written on his face. He slowly reached out to caress the swollen part of my cheek. “Who…who did this to you? W-what happened?” he whispered.

“I guess my mom got tired of putting up with my bullshit. I deserved it really,” I couldn’t look him in the eye.

He pulled me to face him. “You do not deserve this. Okay? You have a f*****g bruise on you’re inflamed cheek!”

“Maybe I bruise easy?” I offered him meekly.

“Bullshit…was this the first time?” I didn’t ask what he meant.

“No.”

“F**k.” I could feel the anger coming off of him in waves. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Why would you wanna know? You didn’t need to know even more about how I’m not good enough.” I was staring at the sand, tears slowly blurring my vision.

Suddenly he was right in front of my face. “Emma, you’re good enough for me, even more than that. Anyone who can’t see how awesome you are doesn’t deserve you.” He cradled my face in his hands, furrowing his eyebrows. “You need to tell me when bad things happen. I want to be there for you. I need to be there, I can’t lose you.”

One thing I also forgot to mention about Adam is the fact that I’m completely in love with him.



© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
Part of this is based off of true stories. Most of it except for the setting and the being in love with the best friend. My family really do avidly play RDR for fun :) Also Red Dead is set in the old west, not modern times -SgtSmiley13

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

I Love this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amanda

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Awesome first chapter! It's brings out the characters, it's got a good pace to it and the dialog is real as real gets. I think you've set it up well for the beginning of something interesting. =)

Great Ink!
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow just great!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is awesome! Enough said!

Posted 11 Years Ago


" They’d been going out since for several months now, since the middle of junior year." take out the first since, it'll sound and look much better!

I liked the story so far, I wanted to cry right along with her when her mom slapped her, stupid mom, no mom should do that to their kid it isn't right! I'm glad that Adam is there for her too, he seems like an awesome friend. I hope that he dumps Sierra girl and goes with Emma. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, your writing is really good for fourteen. You don't waste a lot of words but paint an entire scene. That's great. Also, the dialogue comes very easily. It's natural. I like how you don't keep a strict structure but change it with the emotions you feel.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH MY GODS I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I WILL TRACK U DOWN AND KEEL YOU IF U DO NOT WRITE MORE!!!! :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I love the last sentence :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

675 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 27, 2012
Last Updated on June 27, 2012


Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just a Stage Just a Stage

A Poem by Amanda


The Dress The Dress

A Poem by Amanda