Ring of Fire (Five)

Ring of Fire (Five)

A Chapter by Amanda
"

It's the beginning of the end, they think.

"
The taste of love is sweet
When hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
Oh, but the fire went wild
-Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash



My lips responded enthusiastically against his and my arms went around his neck as his went around my waist.

After a few seconds I realized what was happening and pulled away. He looked at me, his eyes wide. “What?” was all I could say.

“I…” He just kept staring at me with those brilliant eyes. I felt blood rush to my cheeks and tears sting my eyes.

I was so mortified. Yes, I was in love with my best friend. Yes, I could deal with him loving someone else. But no, I couldn’t deal with him kissing me by accident. It was a devastating blow given by whoever’s up there watching over us. Like they were saying, ha ha, see what you want but can’t have? You’re just not good enough.

A tear escaped at that thought, which I hated because it made me look weak. I couldn’t help it, my emotions were all over the place. Adam looked alarmed and shakily asked, “I’m not that bad of a kisser, am I?”

“Don’t,” I whispered, pain behind my every word. “Please, don’t. I can’t…I can’t be this for you, Adam.”

He kept staring, dejectedly this time.

I took a huge breath and continued, my lip quivering, “It hurts too much. I already know how out of your league I am, I don’t need to be reminded. I mean, I can deal with you loving other people, I can even pretend that you’re not as sexy and cool as you are. But then you go an kiss me!” I’m rambling, and probably not making any sense. “Like, dude, seriously? Do you know how long I’ve wanted to kiss you for? And now I’m never going to forget and I’m never going to be able to let you go.”

He was silent.

I started crying for real.

“No.” He said in a hard voice.

“What?” I choked, not even caring how unattractive I sounded.

“I’m not going to stop. I’m not going to be able to get over you. Okay? I finally realized today that I like my best friend in a way that’s not best friend-like. I was afraid you were dead, Emma. Then I realized that I was devastated, and I didn’t even know if you were gone. I can’t live without you. You’re everything to me!“ There had been quite a lot of hand motion during his speech. It left him breathing hard and red faced.

I think I looked like a fish; my mouth was hanging open and my eyes were wide.

“Adam…if…if you’re joking…please don’t…” I couldn’t form a sentence, that was for damn sure.

Adam took three steps toward me with clenched fists, “I’m not playing with you, Emma. I’d never do that to you. And please…” he slightly faltered, “…if you don’t want to be with me, please let me be your friend again.”

A fresh wave of tears overcame me. My knees gave out, but Adam was close enough to catch me. He held me and whispered, “I’m sorry.”

I look up at his face. He’s looking off in the distance and I can see the hurt and rejection plain on his face I decide to try and kiss it away. At first he didn’t realize what was happening, I guess. When I was about to pull away, thinking I’d been wrong, he responded enthusiastically.

He cradled my face in his hands, being careful of the bruise, and it was so, dare I say it, loving, that I almost started crying again. Finally we had to pull away to breathe.

Adam was smiling like a fool. I’m sure my face looked the same. For those minutes, I forgot that there was something going on with the world and we didn’t know what it was. “You mean everything to me, too,” I whispered.

He opened his mouth to reply, but Bella interrupted from the next room. “EMMIE!”

I jumped and made my way into the parlor, where she was. Adam was holding my hand. “What is it, babygirl?”

Babygirl was what I called Bella when I was talking to her. I rarely used it when I was mentioning her to somebody else. “The news,” she pointed to TV.

“Again, I repeat, DO NOT GO OUTSIDE. Stay IN you’re house, and prepare for further instructions. The President has declared a national emergency. If loved ones are showing any of the following symptoms, it is imperative you quarantine them.

-High Fever
-Yellowing of the skin and/or eyes
-Increased aggression
-An open wound procured in the last twenty-four hours

The old news reporter sounded so serious and deceiving. It was impossible to believe that something wasn’t up.

I stopped watching and shook my head. I tried no to think of the rest of my family. My dad and Rachel had gone on a small trip to New Hampshire. My uncle and his family lived about twenty minutes away. And my best friend-besides Adam- Carlee, lived on the way to the our school. That was about fifteen minutes away. I tried not to think about it.

I left my phone on, just in case.

Adam squeezed my hand and I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach. I wondered if he felt the same way.

“Nothing we can do now but wait, I guess.”

We settled on the couch, next to Bella. He faked a large yawn and slowly put his arm around me. I snorted, “Sa-moothe move, buddy.”

He laughed, “I know.”

My phone went off and I jumped a mile, half sitting on Adam’s lap. It was from Carlee.

Carlee: Did you see the news??!!!

Emma: My mem is dead

Carlee: Oh my god. Dude what is going on

Emma: I think the world might be ending :(

She didn’t text back, which really worried me. Carlee Shae Phillips had mahogany hair that got really light in the summer. We hung out when Adam was busy or just when we hadn’t seen each other in a while. Usually we went out for lunch and then shopping. Sometimes we slept over each other’s houses. Her dad was really nice and usually let her stay out reasonably late. I hoped they were both okay.

I got up and peeked out the window. On the horizon was and smoke and I thought I saw some flames. I sighed. Guess all those video games and books and movies will pay off.


© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
I was really relaxed while I wrote this so let me know what you think, cause I wasn't very judgmental. Review are highly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really liked this. keep writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm not dead am I D: that would make me sad. Great chapter! More, or I'll turn you into a zombie, d****t.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

MWAHAHA
Amanda

11 Years Ago

careful, careful, I sense a zombie getting closer to Carlee as we speak. JK SOPILER: she not dead, d.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

yeah...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2012


Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marked ~Six~ Marked ~Six~

A Chapter by Amanda


Change Change

A Poem by Amanda


The Family The Family

A Poem by Amanda