Woman

Woman

A Poem by Sujash I. Purna
"

It was written a couple of years ago. A pretty girl who I was too shy to talk to is my inspiration here. Now I ponder...I haven't overcome this weird shyness of mine...yet!

"
I talk of silly dreams
And of reveries
Those out of my reach.

Woman,
I see you in stills,
On bill-boards and on TV screens,
Yet I never place my eyes on yours
Too shy for my burning cheeks.

I talk of gallantry
Then again wallow in a reverie.
In some spider men suits saving
Mary Jane Watsons.

I talk of beauty
That runs around in circles, thee
Woman, yours is most dazzling;
Yet I never place my eyes on yours
Too shy for my burning cheeks.

I behold you Woman, in Mona Lisas in art galleries
Even in Modigliani, Picasso’s women
They were beaming from their frames
But I was too shy to sing a hymn.

You Woman,
You baffle me with your beauty
You the Charming, you beguile me.

From Oedipus complex to jealousy
I writhed with pain, I writhed in shame,
Yet I never place my eyes on yours
Too shy for my burning cheeks.

Yet I’m charmed by your affection motherly
In Mother Theresa, Florence Nightingale I see thee
This earth would have been gray with misery
Had your pulchritude not touched his heart’s strings.

Woman,
Yet I never place my eyes on yours
Too shy for my burning cheeks.


© 2012 Sujash I. Purna


Author's Note

Sujash I. Purna
Photo Credit: unknown artist, unknown work

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an incredibly sweet piece capturing a person's inability to look beauty in the eye, and also their ability to see it everywhere. Of course, the answer is to take the mysticism and on-a-pedestal-ness away from the opposite sex and to look at those notions straight in the eye. But then we wouldn't get sweet poetry about awkwardness and appreciation and maybe the awkwardness is needed for the appreciation.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I can tell, just by how much you question if you should even talk to her, that you must have adored this girl as you silently watched her from afar. This was very sweet and I know that if the girl had read this, she would have been more than flattered.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful poem. Shows someone's true fixation with a beautiful women. loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sujash! I love this. The use of simply 'Woman' as the title, communicates very poignantly the comparisons you have made to influential women, not only does this show how inspirational this much be for you but also portrays 'Woman' to be a very classic lady. I find the 'Oedipus' stanza particularly beguiling, I think it shows how messed up strong feelings can make someone feel, how alienated....when really it is pure normality. Reading about Oedipus and Electra complexes really does make you feel ashamed and bewildered, if in fact you endorse Freud's theories, that is. And Jealousy, what a foul thing. I know this feeling so well, who ever thought we could all be jealous people when we discover love?

A great poem my friend, I'd publish it ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Writing about a fear in my opinion is one of the most difficult things to write about, and I think you nailed it on the spot. Every line spoke to me. This is an excellent poem and I love it! Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


My Dear Writing Friend Sujash,
This poem made me smile and I thought, I wonder how many of us are unnerved around women. I have been charged by grizzly bears, had moose try to stomp me, been in snow storms so white I could not see my dog team, and rode out earthquakes that shook so hard I could not stand. All the above were less unnerving than asking a woman if she would be willing to meet for a cup of coffee! In fact it took eight months for me to get up enough courage to ask the angel in my life for dinner.
This seems odd that a guy who loves heights and free climbs, is a caver loving tight places, has worked with law enforcement and have been in positions that made some wet their pants, and I was calm during and able to think clearly. How can I be so unnerved by a lady? Approaching a woman of interest sends a shiver down the spine, I break out in a cold sweat, and my pitter-patter goes heart, heart!
Your heart felt poem made total sense to me. You used five words that I have posted their definitions for, as I was either not positive of their exact meaning of wondered would others know there meaning.

reverie |ˈrevərē|
noun
1 a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream.
2 archaic a fanciful or impractical idea or theory.

gallantry |ˈgaləntrē|
noun ( pl. -ries)
1 polite attention or respect given by men to women.

beguile |biˈgīl|
verb [ trans. ]
1 charm or enchant (someone), sometimes in a deceptive way.

Oedipus complex
noun Psychoanalysis
(in Freudian theory) the complex of emotions aroused in a young child, typically around the age of four, by an unconscious sexual desire for the parent of the opposite sex and a wish to exclude the parent of the same sex. (The term was originally applied to boys, the equivalent in girls being called the Electra complex.)

pulchritude |ˈpəlkrəˌt(y)oōd|
noun poetic/literary
beauty.

I think it is easer to ask out ladies whom have become friends. Play it like a soccer game. Punt the ball, “The idea of doing something like a quite dinner together”, and see if the Lady runs the ball back to you. If she is interested she will want to play. Just don’t be surprised if you get tackled. I loved the poem; I loved the fact you wrote of facing a fear. A most excellent write.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear


Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow I love all of your references and your word choice! You make your appreciation for the woman's beauty very clear (through your shyness and comparing her to other beautiful figures).
My favorite part was about Spider man/Mary Jane. Spider man's my favorite :)
Good job on this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I feel your shyness here. I too have been to shy to talk to someone. I think that if this were written about me I might just find myself throughly romanced. :)
That said keep up the great writing. I cant see any possible way to make any improvements.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very beautiful :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nice, I appreciate art. I love it. Especially whenever you would go to a large art museum and see all the pieces famous artists spent their life's work on. This is very beautiful and I love how you create this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a very charming piece.. a man intrigued by all these powerful and beautiful women. I love the spider-man/mary jane part :) Big fan of Spiderman as well as Superman.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1875 Views
56 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on April 12, 2011
Last Updated on October 20, 2012

Author

Sujash I. Purna
Sujash I. Purna

Kirksville, MO



About
Wotcher! I am Sujash and I ramble. I am a freshman at Truman State University from 2012(isn't it this year???!!!). I'm looking forward to a dual major in Creative Writing and Music(Performance) .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..