Pinstripes

Pinstripes

A Story by Elephant Noses

In the white empty space filled with floating specs of glittering dust, my head rises. I turn my neck this way, crack, that way. Windows are slanted so that it appears I am floating in the space the house was built in, hundreds of years ago. Though the glass I see clouds, fluffy and distant moving faster then they seem they should. Last night all I saw was stars. 

The room is flooded with cold light, setting everything clean and colorless. I pull the the white and blue striped cotton sheets around me. The rustle brittlely, moving from their position for the first time in years. I look around the room for the first time. Things I recognize are everywhere. Sketchbooks, colored pencils sitting in an old coffee tin. I see favorite books of mine, some classics I’d always wanted to read. A french dictionary,  a high school yearbook ten years old, a drawing of the family dog. I realize I had placed my red plastic cup on a stack of hat boxes the night before. My breath is sour and alive, muddying the stillness of the unused room.

I imagine what she must have felt like here on Christmas mornings, waking up with anticipation as early as I rose that morning with regret. I imagine her lying as I do, sitting up in bed with pinstriped cotton sheets pulled around her, ears piqued to the movement of others in the house. 

© 2010 Elephant Noses


Author's Note

Elephant Noses
This is the beginning to a short story. Please tell me what you see happening later in the story and what you'd like me to keep.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an absolutely breathtaking peice of imagery. Your use of descriptive language is marvelous. I think this will make a wonderful start to a fabulous story. I would suggesting altering the format, simply because it's hard to read with it stretched so long across the screen, but other than that, don't change a thing. Where I see this heading? Well, I deal more with fantasy, delving only a little into creative nonfiction, but what I see here is potentially a story about a man suffering the loss of a spouse. Maybe she left, maybe she died. I would venture more easily to say that she has died. I would take this in one of two directions: First, you could elaborate on the story behind this man's loneliness, leaning heavily upon flashback imagery; where I would probably take this though is to tell the backstory, but from there make this story about a new beginning for this man. Maybe a new love, a new life, overcoming obstacles and moving forward. I say this only because I enjoy happy endings rather than sad, but that's not everybody's style, and plenty of good books end horrendously for the protagonist. Wonderful start. I hope this has been helpful. I look forward to seeing where you decide to take this.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
1 Review
Added on November 8, 2010
Last Updated on November 8, 2010