One

One

A Chapter by Tori

"Everythings fine." I whispered the words under my breathe.A lie.I knew it was.Everything wasn't fine.Still I cleaved to those two words as I neared my destination.I gazed at the crumpled, almost unrecognizable paper in my hand.I held it ever since I set out on my journey, even slept with it close to my chest.I opened the worn paper and read the words that were like a promise to my heart.

My dearest Nadine,

When the stagecoach arrives I will be waiting for you at the two story hotel named Westward Inn.Where I will then take you to the town of Stonyridge where I know your new life will begin.I cannot promise you it will be easy, but I do know it will be worth it.Just ask for the name Neil Walker and I will know you are the one.Oh and darlin'? Don't be to hard on me. I won't be to talkative, might not even look your way.Just give me some time, because what I really need now is you.I just don't realize it yet.

Neil Walker

Not much of a romantic, but It's as if I felt a special connection with the person who wrote those words.I know it sounds crazy, I barely know him. It's just, It was as if he knew exactly how I felt, knew exactly what I longed for.A fresh start.To put all my worries and troubles behind me.The coach slammed into a hole and nearly threw me into the other passangers seated across from me.

"Getting a little rough out here." An englishman seated across from me said to no one in particular.He twisted his handlebar mustache as if the jolt suddently knocked it out of place.

"I would be glad to never see this horrid mode of transportation ever again." A middle aged woman besides him harrumphed and flipped open a green silk fan.

"It's European." The woman flashed a prideful smile to me.

"I'm sorry?" I eyed her in confusion.

"My fan, I saw you eyeing it."

I hadn't even realized I'd been staring.

"Oh I'm sorry, my mind is just a little jolted.It is lovely though."

That seemed to ease the women and she continued to wave the fan pridefully across her face.

"Meeting someone eh?"

"Richard Baldwin!" The women nudged him in the side with her little elbow.

"It alright." I surpressed a giggle.

"Yes I am meeting someone." I looked down at the worn paper in my hand.

"Ah, young love. Remember that Effie?" The women waved her fan faster and rolled her eyes.

"Oh Richard, you and your romantic notions."

I gave in to my giggle.

"Writer of fiction, he is." She leaned in closer to me and gaurded her mouth with her fan. "A ton of wish-wash if you ask me."

"I heard that." His eyebrows wrinkled in betrayal.

"That's why I feel in love with her you know.She keeps it real.Keeps me on my toes." He gave a michevious wink and I blushed.

"Oh for the love of humanity Richard you are such an outspoken man."

The women seemed to give in. "And that's why I love you."

They eyed each other, and it was as if I suddenly didn't exist.I opened the paper once more and stopped myself from reading it.Instead I traced the curvy handwriting with my fingertips and imagine how he'd look.Handsome, I hoped.With a big smile and kind eyes.I pushed those thoughts away as the driver slowed as they announced we had arrived at our destination.My stomach tumbled and my heart threatened to beat out of my chest.The coach door swung open and I was the first out.

"Watch yer step Ma'am." The coach driver gently held my hand.

"Thank you." As soon as my feet hit the ground I took in the grand state of Texas.The late July heat swarmed around me, trapping my breath in my throat.The sun beamed from above and I sheilded my eyes with my hand and scanned the humble adobes.Building that man built with his own bare ands.Maybe they were even like me, looking for a fresh start.Ready to build their life here and settle down.I had always hoped I could do that one day.To just stop for one moment without my world spinning so fast without having any say to slow down, or get off.

"You alright Ma'am?" The coach driver stepped beside me.My suitcase griped in hand.

Nadine shook off her thoughts. Put yourself in the now Nadine.Your new life starts today.

That thought seemed to just overwhelm me.I let a huge smile split my face and took the suitcase from the man.

"I'm just wonderful, Thank you so much." The drivers face lite up like the Texas sun.

"Always nice to see a pretty gal like you with young hope in her eyes." He smiled, and seemed to lift his shoulders higher and went back to his work.

I was glad I could put a smile on his face.Something I would have never done in my past.Although I had my doubts about my future I didn't want to look back, didn't want to dwell on my past.This was my new start.I inhaled a sharp breath and made my way down the board walk.Passed a merchantile and scanned the buildings for the Hotel.Their it was.My heart began to beat fast as if it were horse that would gallop off into the Texas hills.Sitting there across the dirt road street.It's rustic tall apearance made it look like a castle to the other buildings.I could smell the fresh paint and realized it's shingles had recently been painted white, and it's shutteres a dark green.A new monogramed sign hung out front. Westward Inn.I inhaled a sharp breath and crossed the street.I took all that I had to keep me from running inside of those doors, and running into the arms of my future.

* * * 



© 2012 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Luv it :D Im not much for romance but I like reading historical fictions :D
very well written, found some minor mistakes and it could use more spacing/disposition, otherwise it was awesome :D

,, "Everythings fine." I whispered the words under my breathe.A lie.I knew it was.Everything wasn't fine ''

Instead of under my breathe, it should be breath
,,everything wasn't fine'' doesnt really make sense to me, i'd write ,,nothing was fine''

Except for that, i really loved this, keep it up :DD 100/100


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tori

11 Years Ago

Oh okay, I see now! Thank you for pointing that out. Glad you like it. :)



Reviews

I really like the dialogue and can picture myself sitting with the characters. I enjoyed reading this and you have great talent! Just fix some grammar and spelling errors and its good :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Luv it :D Im not much for romance but I like reading historical fictions :D
very well written, found some minor mistakes and it could use more spacing/disposition, otherwise it was awesome :D

,, "Everythings fine." I whispered the words under my breathe.A lie.I knew it was.Everything wasn't fine ''

Instead of under my breathe, it should be breath
,,everything wasn't fine'' doesnt really make sense to me, i'd write ,,nothing was fine''

Except for that, i really loved this, keep it up :DD 100/100


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tori

11 Years Ago

Oh okay, I see now! Thank you for pointing that out. Glad you like it. :)
Simply put. You are a talented writer. But you need more spacing in your writing. You should hit the space bar a little more in order for your readers to get a visual break from the words.

Otherwise, you are great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tori

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I will do that.
soliloquy

11 Years Ago

ooops. I meant the enter key...not the space bar. Sorry.

But i will for sure read m.. read more
Tori

11 Years Ago

Haha I know what you ment, and Thank you.
This is good, I will say, your paragraph structure could use a bit of tweaking. Generally after a person speaks, I'd throw in a "he said/she said" just for the sake of the reader knowing who is speaking, not all the time just until the reader can grasp the personality of them, and then they can figure it out. Also you can combine the thoughts of the main character in the same paragraph as her dialogue, if that makes sense. I don't mean to sound harsh in any way, these are simply things I picked up on while reading. I'm no expert by any means, that's just my own opinion. I will tell you you write very well and your word choice is very good as well, combined with the dialogue it makes a very engaging story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tori

11 Years Ago

Oh ok! I will do that, thank you!
Again! Awesome! can't wait to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tori

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Hello ,

1. as I neared my destination . " near * '

2. The coach ,then the coach driver ? what is the coach job ?

3. man built with his own bare ands . " hands* " ?

4. I inhaled a sharp breath . I inhaled a sharp breath and crossed the street " using the same sentence make it weak that what i know , try using another description , especially since there were not a long distance between the two sentences.

5. put all my worries and troubles behind me.The coach slammed into a hole and nearly threw me into the other passangers seated across from me. " it's better to start the caoch sentence from beginning of the line ( opinion ) .

wish you the best , keep goin .

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tori

11 Years Ago

I know I should proof read before I submit, thank you for pointing these out for me!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: help, romance, historical, fiction, western


Author

Tori
Tori

St.Martinville, LA



About
Jesus is my reason to smile! I really love chrisitan historical fiction and the message it has to put God's word into relatable life experiences. That's what I want to do, to tell the love of .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Tori


A heart of war A heart of war

A Book by Tori



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..