One

One

A Chapter by Tori
"

But he giveth more grace.Wherefore he saith,God resisteth the proud,but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6

"
               - ONE-
But he giveth more grace.Wherefore he saith,God resisteth the proud,but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6



Grace Ann Davis sat watching her pale mother at the edge of her wooden bed.She could hear her weezing as she slept just as the sun peaked its way over the Colorado rocky Mountains sending sun rays spilling into their little cabin.

Grace walked over to the window and lifted it open as a the late summers air circled around the room.She closed her eyes just for a moment to catch her breath as her long chestnut hair bounced around her face.
Her arms ached from all the wood she'd been chopping all morning. She opened her eyes and saw the oak wood stacked neatly by the chicken coop.
She knew her Ma was awake when she heard her gasp and surrender to another coughing fit. Grace went over to where she had a bowl of Osha roots waiting and poured it into a glass of water and watched it desolve.

"Here, drink this." she said as she elevated her mother's weak head and brought the water to her dry pale lips.

Tears clouded her eyes as she watched her once strong and healthy mother now surrender to the terrible disease of consumption. Her dark glowing skin now paled from months of confinement to her bed and her once glowing brown eyes was now chained with suffering.
 Sarah Davis weakly lifted her cold hand to her daughters tear streaked face.

"It will pass Grace, just give it some time." Her mother wiped the tears away.

"Time? Ma it's been three months and it's only getting worse.I don't care if Pa doesn't like it you need to see a doctor! What has he ever done good for us besides coming home drunk and accidentally doing this?"
Grace pulled up her sleeve reveling five long poorly healed stripes from where she'd taken blows from her pa's horse whip when she accidentally knocked over the pale of water onto their cabin floor.
She touch the long red scar on her neck from a recent encounter with it.
Shaking her head to be rid of the painful memories.Grace stood and went to the window to dry her tears. She didn't want her mother to see her sad.She needed to be stong for her. A smile tugged the corner of the woman's pale lips.

"A stone is heavy,and the sand weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than both."

 Grace closed her eyes and drew out a breath. Her Ma's new found faith in God was sure a confusing thing to Grace. Ever since she was bedridden three months ago she was completely taken over by it. She said her sickness Opened her eyes to and brought her back to the faith she used to know when she was a girl. She knew what her mother was trying to say.Her temper always gets the best of her to an exctent on where she couldn't control.

A sudden breeze swirled around the room."Ma, don't throw scriptures on me." Grace turned to face her mother. "I'm just worried about you."

 Sarah beckoned her daughter with her outstretched hand and her daughter humbly sank to her side.

"Sweetheart I know you are,but you must learn to control your temper.Your Pa doesn't like strong minded women."

Grace's nose wrinkled. Just the mention of him made her stomach tighten in a not. She bit her tongue, not wanting to trouble her mother.

"Ma, you know He has no right no matter what he blames for his behavior."

Sarah rubbed her daughters hand "Grace, we must give God time to work in him."

Grace shook her head in disbelief. How could a man like her father ever be loved by God? How could God let him treat her & her mother like he did? Just then they heard the front door swing open and a drunken voice filled the house with cursing. He was already knocking over chairs.

"Sarah!" His deep voice bellowed through the wooden home making them jump where they sat.

Grace clenched her jaw and looked down at her mother who had her head bowed in prayer.
He didn't deserve prayer.What was the use anyway God didn't hear her mother's prayers or else her pa wouldn't even be here to treat them like he did. Grace inhaled a slow breath and stood to when Sarah's hand pulled her down.

"Don't Grace." Sarah pulled the covers from off her and stood almost losing her balance. She was much to weak to stand.
"Ma you don't have to go." Grace tried pleading with her ill mother.

"He's my Husband Grace.I can't hide from him."

Grace let her go knowing that she wouldn't stand a chance arguing with her mother. Once her mind was set, there was no turning back.
Grace followed behind her mother ready to catch her in case her weak legs decided to give out.They reached the kitchen where his bold figured shadowed through the doorway. His face was dirty from the roads and Grace saw that his beard and mustache got bushier.

"Make the girl cook me some breakfast." 

Hello to you to Pa, she thought as she rolled up her sleeves and started for the stove.

Clay Davis dropped himself into the wooden chair pulling out his pistol and  rag and went to cleaning without a word.

Sarah gripped the back of the chair across from her husband to keep her legs steady.
"Where have you been?" She asked as if she where having a normal civil conversation with the man, she never spoke out of anger.

Grace turned to her mother.How could she not lash out at him? She sure wanted to but she didn't want to upset her Ma.

"That ain't none of your business woman."

She wanted to turn around and smack him on the head with the frying pan. As much as his wife respected him he didn't even think about her health. Gracie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She hated the way he talked to her.

"Clay, you leave for days at a time without a single word to where your going and leave me and Grace alone out here. You know Fairplay ain't a decent town and Grace needs help around here. She's doing all the chores that's fit for a man to do."

Grace threw the biscuits in the pan.
Her mother thought her daughter, at the age of nineteen should be married already and having children.But Gracie didn't want a man-didn't NEED- a man.They were all the same to her. They just couldn't get enough of their whiskey.They treated their women like property.
No, Grace thought.
 She would never let a man claim her. She would fight her own way into the world. No one would ever control or own her.
Clay slammed his gun down onto the wooden table.It snapped Grace from her thoughts as she jumped and knocking the pan with the biscuits onto the floor.Her heart raced.She would never admit it but she was terrified or her Pa.

She didn't dare look up into his eyes she got on her knees and started picking the dirty dough up.

Clay swore like a sailor. "You good for nothing girl!"
 
Sarah tried to calm him, "Clay, don't."

He stood knocking over the chair and walked to where she stood slapping her across the face.

"Shutup woman!"

I cried out and ran to her side steadying her arm.I couldn't take it anymore. Just hold on Grace.Don't make it worse.

"She can't do a little work Sarah? And what's your point?" His voice turned cocky.
"Do you not like this house that I built for you? Do you not like that I provide for you and the girl? "

Grace avoided his gaze. The girl? Somewhere deep inside that hurt her.She don't know why, she didn't want him to love her.But in a way she wanted to feel what a daughter would feel to be loved by her father.

"Grace, Honey.Why don't you go and get some fresh water for your Pa to wash up?"

Grace could not believe what she was hearing. She looked to her mother and gave her a pleading look. She knew where this was going, she didn't want to leave her alone with him but her Ma's stern expression didn't soften. Sarah would always tried to get her out of danger when he started going mad. Grace snatched the bucket  and walked out hearing his voice rise with her every footstep.

Tears filled her eyes. Her Ma needed a doctor, and soon.She threw the bucket against the stone well and whatever she could find. She kicked their pathetic looking chicken coop sending the chickens squawking and flying around in chaos.
 Grace grabbed a stick and started pounding the ten letting the anger she had pent up go through her. She threw the stick as far as she could watching it rise into the sky and then fall not to far from her. She couldn't take it anymore, they needed to get away from him.

Somewhere he wouldn't find them. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. A thought flashed through her mind.Grandpa.

They can go and stay with her Grandpa!  Grace thought for sure they had to have a decent doctor where he lived. Maybe her grandpa would forgive her Ma and take them in.But he was miles away it would be hard for her mother to travel. They had to try. Grace began pumping the water.Thoughts of a new life and a fresh start played in her mind.

She'd always wanted to become a teacher. Her planning came short when she heard a crash from the house.Ma. She dropped the bucket and ran.She stopped midway in the door as she stared at her mother on the floor in another coughing fit.

 She looked at Clay who was standing over her poking her in the side with his boot screaming at her how she was ungrateful and it was her fault for marring him if she wasn't happy.

No,no,no! She thought as she ran to him and pounded her fist into his back.

"Get away from her!"
He swung around and his fist met her face sending her falling to the floor.

 Grace gasp as pain shot up from her cheek to her ear. Her ears where ringing and her head throbbed. She lifted her hand to her head  in a failed effort to stop the spinning.
 She pulled her hand away eyeing the crimson red liquid that stained her fingers.

"You learn your place girl!"

Grace looked up at his demon expression,she almost did believe that he was possessed. She tried to crawl away from him but his meaty hand inclosed around her neck and lifted her from the floor. She squirmed and cried out as he lifted her by the neck with both his hands till she could no longer feel the safety of the floor. She couldn't breath.

"That's for disrespecting your pa." he spat.

She tasted the blood on her lip as she tried to opened her mouth for air.He shook her once more and threw her back on the wooden floor just before her eyes could roll to the back of her head threatening to send her into a state of unconsciousness.

Grace gasped for breath and sucked in all she could before giving him her daring comeback.

"You don't deserve respect." she coughed still trying to regain her wind.

"You keep on with your big head girl. No man wants that in a woman.Then who's gonna come crawling to daddy to provide for her?"

"I don't need anything from you."

Grace new it was true. She could do everything for herself and take care of her Ma. Her mind was set, she didn't need a man. They think women are just another of their possession, some pet that could do with as they please.

Well, not Grace she would show him no one will ever treat her the way he treats her Ma. She met his hard gaze and spat on his boot staining it red.He cursed and  kicked her hard in the side. She held in the scream that was in her throat. One thing was for certain Grace wouldn't give him what he wanted.

"Think your tough, do ya?" Clay wanted her to scream with pain so he kicked her again and again.

She heard a horse ride up and the man outside called her Pa's name.

"I ain't done with you!" Clay snatched up his pistol and slipped out the door.

Huddled on the floor with her legs pressed tight to her chest she let the tears fall down.She coughed in her hand as more red liquid poured out.She crawled to were her Ma laid, who had fainted.

"Ma?" Grace put aside her own pain and managed to put her Ma back into her bed.

                         
   *       *       *       *       *









The coughing grew uncontrollable. Grace ached as she swung her legs over the side of her bed as the pain in her side turned to nausea.
 She noted the damage done by her Pa from the incident this morning. An oversized black bruise colored her right side. Grace knew at least one of her ribs had to be broken.
Lighting her lamp and swallowing her own pain she made her way to her mother's room.
"Ma?"
 Grace hurried to the washstand and started mixing her herbs.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you."
Grace mixed it once again in the cup of water and handed it to her mother.

"It's alright Ma, I couldn't sleep anyway."

Sarah took the cup. "I figured you could use the rest from what happened...." her ma couldn't finish.

Tears sprang to her mother's eyes. "I'm so sorry that he hurt you sweety."

 Grace sank to her mother's side.

"Don't apologize Ma, it's not your fault." Grace kissed her forehead.

"Besides, I'm fine." Grace lied.

At this very moment her insides bruised and she was aware of the dried blood spots on her face from the blows.
She noted the worried look on her Ma's face and the handkerchief in her hand that was spotted with blood. Dread washed over her.

"I knew we should have sent for a doctor sooner."

Grace regretted not riding out to Fairplay. She knew they had no such thing as a doctor in Fairplay.
 Only a phyco man who did all sorts of strange things with his patients.
 Besides, they only had one horse and her Pa always had it.
 But she didn't care, she could have at least walked there no matter how far she would have had to.
Sarah grabbed her daughters hand and tucked her  dark chestnut hair that escaped from her braid behind her ear.

"Their is no need for such things--" the coughing choked out her words.

Grace took the cup from her mothers shaking hands and raised it to her Sarah's lips. She noticed her breathing became shallow as Sarah finished off her sentence.

"The good Lord has his way with things, he will pull me through if it is his will." She pointed to her bible on the stand and motioned for Grace to hand it to her.

"I can hardly see how this is his plan. If he loves you so much why would he make you suffer?" Anger took hold of her.
Grace didn't understand. Her Ma is the sweetest person you could ever know. She talks about her God and how he can heal, why doesn't he heal her? Can't he see that she's in pain?
Tears filled Graces' eyes as she clenched her fist.

"For I know the thought I have for you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."

She always tried using those scriptures on Grace to make some sort of point.She just couldn't seem to understand any of them.
Seeing the puzzled look written on her daughter's face, Sarah chuckled."It means,the Lord knows all things good and bad.
He brings us all to a place in our lives where we can't seem to see why or how we've gotten there in the first place.
We just have to trust in what he chooses for us."
Her mother fingered the writing on the worn leather. Holy Bible. "That's one of your Grandpa's favorite scriptures."
 Grace looked up at the mention of Sarah's father, her Grandpa.
Reverend John Bray of Colorado Springs, Colorado. She knew they didn't ever go to visit, she'd never seen him in her whole nineteen years of life. Her Ma would mention him every now and then.Grace could tell she missed him dearly.

"What happened?" She looked at her mother's face to see if it was safe to dig up such a question.But her mother's expression softened at it.

Sarah sighed, "Your Grandpa is a strong man of God.I didn't understand much about God even though my father was the reverend."
Sarah reached out held a strand of hair that had fallen out of her daughters braid and tucked it behind her ear.

"I wanted to control everything and make things go my way.When I met your father, he was a stubborn man. I could see that he was full of hurt and pain.Your grandpa, forbade me to see him but I was determined to change him." 
She put on a sad smile and looked down at her hands then continued. "I thought I could make him happy again and eventually lead him to the Lord.
I don't see how, now, that is, that I could have did that when I knew nothing about him myself. So I continued to see your father behind your Grandpa's back and when your Pa proposed, my father was in a complete state of shock. I told him I was going to marry your Pa weather he liked it or not.Oh, how I wanted so much to prove to him. I guess you can say that I was on my high horse then."

Grace chuckled. "I would have never guessed."

Sarah smiled at the innocents of her daughter. "Ah, but I didn't realize I was just as stubborn as your father.Your grandpa forbade to marry us, so we moved here to Fairplay, where we met a preacher trying to strike it rich at one of the gold mills.
He married us, and then he introduced your father to the manager of the mill and that's where he found a job. So we decided to settle down here."

 Grace looked at her with a quizzical look. "But why would you want to settle down here? It's so dead."

 Fairplay had only a dozen buildings and half of them had been abandoned. Except for the General store and of course a saloon and a tiny livery that the so called "doctor" owned as where he performed his psychotic healing business.
 Sarah placed the bible on the side table.

"It wasn't always so bare.When I found out I was pregnant for your brother," She stared blankly across the room.

You can see that old memories were flashing over in her mind.
Tears blanketed her mothers eyes.Grace smiled at the mention of him, her brother, how she missed him.
He left when she was just fourteen when her Pa and him got into a fight.
Sarah told him to leave for his safety when Clay almost beat him to death. We never heard from him since. Grace kissed the top of her mothers hand.

"He'll come back Ma." She said with a faint smile to comfort her mother, but what she wanted to do was cry.
Why couldn't her Pa just leave and never come back?

 "I know sweetheart. I know." she continued. "Well after I found out, the town was booming with anxious farmers when they heard that your father found a gold piece."

Somehow she had gone paler. At first I thought it was just her normal color.But I realized that's what I kept telling myself.

"What did he do with it?"

Her mother's breathing became heavy. "Turns out it was all just fools gold. That made your Pa angry. That's when he started the drinking." Her Ma closed her eyes.

"That still gives him no right for him to treat us the way he does." Grace said her temper rising once again.
She needed to learn how to control it.

 Sarah slowly opened them again, "But it's more than just that. I thought I could change him, but I was wrong, only the good Lord can turn him around." 

I doubt even he can help his soul.
Grace thought.Her Ma tilted her head as if she were reading her daughter's very thoughts. Sarah had more love for that man that he would ever have for her.

 Sarah stroked her daughter's face."Grace, don't let your father make you full of bitterness. I've seen it destroy a lot of good people, including your father."

Ha, when had he ever been good? Grace thought as she held her mother's hand close to her face.

"You rest now Ma." A lump rose in her through as tears brimmed Grace's eyes.

How she loved her Ma.
She was filled with such compassion and in any circumstance she was filled with hope.How Grace longed for love and peace. Even to be loved by someone.
She just couldn't seem to open up. Ma loved her, she was the only person in the world Grace trusted. Feeling weak and helpless like a six year old girl again, she crawled in the bed and rested her head on her mother. Sarah played with her daughters hair, twirling it around her fingers like she did when she was just a girl.

"I love you Ma."

 She was the only family that Grace knew. She was all she had. Sarah's hand gently slowed as their breathing softened. For just a second Grace wanted to blocked out her Pa and the unforgettable pain that pounded in her side. She closed her eyes as she absorbed the love of her mother.

"I love you too Grace."

 The barrier of peace that surrounded her Ma, engulfed Grace as she drifted into sleep.

*   *   *   *   *
                      
 Sarah didn't wake up. Grace thought she was dreaming, that it was all just a terrible nightmare. But as she sat in the corner of her mother's little room she trembled.
 She didn't know what to do.How could her mother just be gone? How could God take her?
 Questions still fogged her mind as thunder rumbled in the distance.It would rain soon. She slowly lifted herself up from the corner where she remained all afternoon staring at her dear mother's lifeless body. She gripped the washstand trying to gain her balance.

The rest of the events where all a blur.There was no sunshine that afternoon, no taste of the sweet wildflowers that would flow through her nostrils.

Just the smell of fresh earth that surrounded Grace as she knelt almost on top her Mother's grave, staring at the bible she forgot to bury with her. It lay just beside Grace as guilt began to wash over her.
Her Ma's Bible was her only valued possession, she should have buried it with her.Yet somehow Grace felt that her Ma wanted her to have it.
Actually, Grace knew she would have wanted her to have it.But she wanted it gone, buried with her Ma.
She didn't want to ever see it again. Why couldn't She just have buried the stupid thing?
Grace picked up the worn leather and threw it across the grave where it sliced through air knocking over the cross she made.
New angry tears began to fall down Grace's face as she screamed to God.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?"

Why did her mother have to be treated the way she did by her Pa? Why didn't God take him instead? It was his fault! Grace didn't want the bible, she didn't want any part of God.
He did this. He took her Ma away from her. Her Pa already chased away the only other family she knew, her brother.
 Now she had no one.
 Grace walked over and lifted the cross to hammer it back in the ground when she saw a folded sheet of paper lying next to the open bible. She leaned over and ran her fingers over her mother's handwriting. Grace Ann Davis.
Thunder rumbled in the distance as the sky grew darker and the sun half peaked over the distant mountains.
 Grace feel to her knees as the rain began to fall, stirring the dry dirt into mud over her skirt. She held her mother's unspoken words to her lips.Wanting to hear her Ma's voice she opened the letter.

 My sweet, sweet Grace.If your reading this it means I have gone to be with the good Lord and that you have finally opened my bible. I can't begin to imagine what you are feeling. There was so much that I wanted for you than the life I could give you. But I know the lord has a plan for you, so don't be angry with him. Don't turn your back on him now Grace because you need him right now more than ever. And always remember, you can talk to the him whenever you need. He's always listening.
                 love you forever, Ma.

Grace folded the paper her mother once held in her hands and pressed it to her heart.
She still didn't get this God even now as new questions filled her mind and a new wave of hurt swept over her. Thunder rippled through the sky making the ground shake as the rain fell harder.
 She heard men yelling to their horses down the road as they neared the cabin. It was her Pa with two other men. No doubt his gambling buddies.
She was angry now. Grace snatched up the bible and stuffing the letter inside, she ran to the house. Grace packed the little things she owned.
Her hair brush, her mother's bible, and a hand carved dove her brother made for her just before he left. She held the wooden structure in her hand, remembering Caleb's deep brown eyes and his slanted sly smile.
 He would always protect her from their Pa. She missed him.
Slurred muffled voices flowed outside the cabin.She remembered what she needed the most.
Clay had an extra pistol he kept under a loose floor board in his room.
He didn't know Grace knew but she watched him dig for it just under the rotten piece of wood. Grace ran to his room and pulled the loose board away.
Her heart began to pound even faster as she gripped the cold iron with her fingers.

Having it secure in her hands she made for her room as footsteps sounded through the front door.
She stuffed the pistol inside a slit in her skirt just as Clay kicked open the door. Her heart pounded in her chest.
 He was drunk to stupor and his body was soaked from the rain making him smell like wet dog.

"Come here girl. I got a surprise for you." He said through a hiccup.

Grace knew there was no use in telling him about his wife's passing. He wouldn't even remember.
Fresh new hurt she tried to bury down crawled back into her again as tears glossed her eyes. She just had to get away.
She wouldn't have time to jump through the window without him grabbing her.

"Come here girl!" Clay barked when she didn't budge.
His hand went around her neck and pulled her to the table where the two men sat no doubt as drunk as him.

 Clay shoved Grace to the floor where she landed at the feet of a man as old as her Pa.
Grace noticed he tried to hard to make himself look like the role of authority. He had slicked his hair back in a failed effort to tame the cow licks that curled on each side of his temples. He smelled of Tabaco and something else that made her gag. He looked down and smiled revealing stained, crooked teeth.

"So this here's the pretty gal Clay?" He crossed his arms and cocked his head as he scanned her.

Feeling like cattle being put on display for slaughter, Grace sat up and backed away from him.But Clay's boot was faster and shoved her back to him sending her into the man's thick arms. She jerked and tried to push away but he squeezed her tighter till she cried out.

"This one sure's a beauty"

 Grace's mind swirled making her dizzy.
What were they doing? She turned her head to face her Pa. He choked down the last of his whiskey and waved a finger at the man.

"You better have my money Matt." Clay wiped away the drool that pooled on the corner of his mouth as he spoke.

"You sold me?!"
Even the words she screamed tasted bad on her lips.

"Shutup!" Clay jerked her away from the man's grip. "Your Matt's now, so you better mind what he says."

She held her breath and squeezed her eyes shut as he screamed the unbelievable words in her face.

"Let's go Curly." Impatiences sounded in Matt's voice as he signal his friend to grab her. But Clay threw Grace behind his back stopping them from getting their property.

"Not until I get my end." All traces of amusement drained from his Clay's voice.

How could he have sold her? She'd kept telling herself he was just drunk now, and that after he gets some rest he'll get all this straightened out.But when he said those words her whole body began to tremble.
His body was still, not slouching over anymore and his voice didn't slur when he'd said it.
He petted his beard and nodded approval to Curly who limped his way to Clay and dropped a money bag in his hand.
Grace watched her Pa laugh as he poured some of the contents from the bag into his palm.
Was her life worth that little? Just a bagful of silver coins?
Clay stumbled to his room with a satisfied grin. He would soon find out that she took his pistol.

 Just then Matt looked over to his friend, "Think it'll be good to rest here and wait out that storm."

Curly smiled, revealing front missing teeth giving Matt a knowing envying look. Grace's heart pounded in her chest as his friend made his way by the fireplace, so as to not interfear with his friends prize.

Fear iced her's veins making her feet unable to move as Matt dragged her towards her room. "Come on girl."

 Dear God No. Her thoughts racing at knowing the man's intent.Grace pulled back with all her might. Slipping her arms from his grip, she fell back and bolted towards the door.
He was shockingly fast as he ran before of her blocking her only escape. He picked her up by the waist and made for the room.

His friend with the missing teeth chuckled "Got you a feisty one there eh, Matt?"

 Matt threw Grace to the floor hitting her head against her door frame. "Nothing I can't tame."

 Grace's head pounded as she tried to regain her breath.This can't be happening.The world around her blurred.She knew she had to get out, and fast.

"Get up girl!" Matt swung his fist meeting with Grace's face numbing her jaw.

He lifted her by the hair and stood her up. God if you can hear me I need your help.
She tried to pray like she heard her Ma do many times before. He released his grip and threw her on the floor next to her bed.
Grace landed on the pistol that she had tucked inside her skirts. Her heart twisted as her hand enclosed around the cold metal.
desperation tugged at her when she heard Clay yell from his room where he discovered his pistol was missing.
She had to take action.
Grace tasted the blood on her lip.
No more.
 He was not going to treat her like this. She was her own person and no one would ever touch her again.
Grace had no idea how the pistol worked, but just as the man's heavy body crushed down on her she pulled out the revolver.
 Clay appeared in the door way. She pulled the trigger sending Matt into the air.
Grace screamed when the man's blood splash from his flesh onto her face.
She stuffed the revolver back into her skirt.
Seeing the devilish rage painted on Clay's face, Grace swung around and jumped halfway through the window frame but his hands wrapped around her waist and pulled her back inside.

"Where you think your going girl!"

 Grace swung her hand and clawed him in the face. He cried out in pain sending a string of profanity from his lips. He released his grip giving Grace a chance to stagger to the window, but trailed right behind her.

 "I said come here!" he yelled.

Grace snatched the lit lantern and threw it at her father. It bounced off of his body and onto her sheets engulfing it in flames.
Clay's screams echoed in her head as his figure was swallowed up into the fast raging fire. She gasped and choked on the smoke that filled her lungs.
Grace jumped through the window landing on her arm, followed by a terrible bone cracking noise.
She screamed as the agonizing pain shot through her shoulder down to her fingers.
Mud cover her body making it hard to stand.
The rain pounded on the flames in a failed effort to drown out the fire that swallowed the cabin.
Staggering to her feet Grace grabbed her bag and ran out into the pouring rain. Her whole body ached and the pain in her arm became more unbearable.
Her ears rang with the gunfire's echo as she played the horrifying scene over and over in her mind.
The man flying back and landing on the floor as blood pooled from his side, of her Father being surrounded by flames.
She couldn't bare to think of them anymore and what she had done.
She wanted to turn back but she didn't dare turn to see her home burn into ashes. Along with her father.
 He deserved it, didn't he?
She screamed as she ran till her lungs burned but she just kept running.












© 2012 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it!! Great detail! God has given you an amazing gift. I love how you, put in the question that everyone wants answered (Why did this happen? Why would a loving God do this?) Love it! Can't wait on what happens with Grace! So keep on writing!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tori

11 Years Ago

Thank you SO MUCH! I've long given up on this but you have engouraged me to keep writing! Thank you .. read more
Tori

11 Years Ago

encouraged*
The Invisible Girl

11 Years Ago

Your welcome! Glad I encouraged you cause I would have been upset if it stopped here. lol :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
1 Review
Added on April 3, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: romance, western, historical, christian fiction


Author

Tori
Tori

St.Martinville, LA



About
Jesus is my reason to smile! I really love chrisitan historical fiction and the message it has to put God's word into relatable life experiences. That's what I want to do, to tell the love of .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Tori


A heart of war A heart of war

A Book by Tori