EMPATHY AND APATHY

EMPATHY AND APATHY

A Poem by Roger Turgeon
"

Dam you Stevie Wonder

"

Empathy and Apathy

 

What notes echo from the keyboard of my emotions

The alternating tempos of ebony and ivory

The rise and fall of my mercurial devotions

Played out in chords of empathy and apathy

No funeral tears shed for the loss of another

Give a life…take a life… both the same

No stirrings arise from the hug of a mother

Yet frantic to find the cause and the blame

I walk away, walk away from what really matters

Yet stop to mend the broken wing of a fly

My life’s symphony remains a work of tatters

Offered up with nary a tear nor a sigh

© 2014 Roger Turgeon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Find this a sad, sad write because there''s a heap of cynicism at its core, yet- an immense insight into today's society. Perhaps one could hear a voice speaking opinion with emotion plaited with it?

However, guess there's balance here, even if uncomfortably so. Somehow you've placed your words with constraint, comfortably truthful, even tho' horrific. Plus, importantly and tragically, tied in a finish that says it all. Fine writing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Roger Turgeon

5 Years Ago

Sad it is...some disturbing personal insight. Thanks for the review
I read this as the struggle between the macro and the micro issues in life. We can 'mend the wings of the fly' but we cannot stop the tweets of Trump or the rhetoric and lies of our politicians and the unjust wars and injustices that happen each and every day. It is an emotive and flowing write with a sting.

Posted 5 Years Ago


What a great write Roger. Loved that song ebony and ivory, that took me back a bit. Very meaningful lines and well conveyed with it.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Roger Turgeon

5 Years Ago

Thank you. I appreciate the comment from one who has reviewed so many. Which of yours should I read?
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Taking Stock is a recent write. Thank you so much.
Great Job. You know I adore your work. Another winner

Posted 9 Years Ago


i find myself relating to this piece...able to empathize with the pain of others, but sometimes not feeling my own pain...just deflecting it.

and yes, the notes of that song ring in my ears as i read this.

nicely done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


We are a study in contrasts. It's a wonderfully creative poem that examines the polarized portions of our personalities that we cannot explain ourselves. Sometimes I think when things are a bit further from us we are able to feel more, things very close, well, they can cut us off from emotion as a knee jerk reaction to self preservation. This is most certainly a favorite.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Brilliant use of metahpor in this well written piece. So many great lines...it is impossible to pick my favorite. Your creativity shines here. One for my library.

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


We are often a mess of polarized opposites. Your work is far more symphonic than my commentary, at any rate. Hats off.

Posted 9 Years Ago


"My life’s symphony remains a work of tatters

Offered up with nary a tear nor a sigh"

A amazing and so poetic a rendition on life and how it often loses the symphony it was meant to create!


Posted 9 Years Ago


Creative metaphors and beautifully weaved words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Roger Turgeon

9 Years Ago

Thank you...I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment ( : O )

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

626 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 19, 2014
Last Updated on September 19, 2014
Tags: empathy, apathy, aimless

Author

Roger Turgeon
Roger Turgeon

NH



About
Poet, painter, collector of unusual objects, taker of lonely pictures, hypnotherapist. I write poetry for all emotional occasions though the majority seem to focus on depression and romance. Now I.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..