Wendy Chapter 1: Larchmont Hotel

Wendy Chapter 1: Larchmont Hotel

A Chapter by SweetNutmeg
"

Meet Wendy!

"

CHAPTER ONE: Larchmont Hotel


“Well, well, look who's late. That's three minutes, Wendy. Consider this your verbal warning.”


Dave was waiting to pounce as I walked by his office.


I had just entered the wide double doors to the housekeeping area, open to catch the fresh morning air. The cavernous room was rumbling with the sound of industrial dryers. The hot, damp smell of freshly washed linens enfolded me. Sean, a houseman, was only a few steps behind me.


Dave ignored Sean as he sauntered past us.


“But--” I protested, looking at Sean. He was late too. Why always me?


Dave turned away and reentered his lair, a smug look on his toad-like face. Frustration knotted my stomach. His unfair reprimands were piling up. If I got too many I’d go on probation and I had no recourse. He was the Executive Housekeeper, head of the entire housekeeping department.


The assistant manager, a tall slender woman named Brenda, leafed through her clipboard papers. With a smile she said, “Full house last night. You have 18 rooms, mostly stay overs.” She handed me my rooms sheet. “Over time,” she said brightly.


I hurried out of housekeeping and emerged into a lushly carpeted corridor. I turned right, toward the elevators that served the eastern wing. Larchmont Hotel had 256 rooms, plus a floor of suites and a floor of meeting rooms, 10 floors in all. I bypassed the elevators and mounted the emergency fire stairwell. The elevators were for guests.


My personal domain, the eastern wing of the third floor, was hushed and neat. I retrieved my housekeeping cart from the supply closet, pushing the unwieldy thing out into the hallway. Consulting my check out sheet, I started my labor. One room after another, I went through my routine.


Sean was my houseman that day, periodically removing pillowcases stuffed with dirty linen and replenishing supplies of towels, amongst his other duties. Midmorning, as I folded a sheet corner into a triangle and tucked it in, there was Dave’s voice, calling me to my cart at the room doorway.


“307 needs to be dusted again.” His eyes caught mine in an unfriendly stare. “You missed a lightbulb. And there’s lint on the floor in 302.”


As I vacuumed 302 again, I burned inside. These were supposed to be spot inspections, but he scrutinized my every room like this. The lint had been barely visible. The dust on the lightbulb would probably prove to be the lightest film of dust no one would ever notice. Except Dave.


I searched in vain for tips. Another bad day.


***


Hands deep in hot dishwater, I sang along with Pentatonix's version of 'Hallelujah.'


“Wendy, do you have to sing like that?” Pam said as she stomped in.


My heart jumped. The rush of the running water and the music had masked the sound of my sister's entrance. All pleasure drained away. I sighed, dried my hands and switched off my music. 


Pam tossed her Taco Hut apron onto a chair at the kitchen table, on her way to the living room. The sound of the TV drifted back into the kitchen, making music impossible. I might as well do the shopping.


Collecting grocery bags, shopping list and purse, I asked, “You coming to the store, Pam?”


“Just a sec, let me change out of my uniform.”


I’d already shucked my own Larchmont Hotel uniform in favor of soft, comfy leggings and a long sleeved tee. My long hair was up in a loose bun.


“Okay, but don't take forever with your hair. It's just the grocery store.”


Pam and I shared the same straight dark hair and pale skin, but unlike I, she constantly fought it with bleach, perms, bronzers, foundations. I supposed to Pam I seemed dull, but I saw no reason to argue with nature.


Wearing a miniskirt and ankle boots, with her hair fluffed and fixed, Pam finally marched out the door. She climbed into my Subaru station wagon, immediately changing the radio to the pop station and turning the volume up. As I pulled away from the curb, I turned the volume down.


We plowed through the Wrigley Road traffic. Aiken, Illinois was just large enough to have a rush hour and this was it. In mid-May, the sun was far from setting and it shone down on four lanes of frustrated commuters. At the Piglet Grocery Store sign, I entered the parking lot and pulled into a free spot.


Once inside the store, Pam started poring over peanut butter labels, comparing fat and calorie content. I eased the cart down the aisle towards the preserves, leaving Pam behind. I was idly cruising the strawberry jams when someone called my name. It was one of the hotel housemen, Eric, who ate lunch with me occasionally. I had never seen him outside of work before. It was strange seeing him in jeans. He was good looking, tall and dark haired with black eyes. His green t-shirt set off his warm complexion and I was fascinated by the defined muscles I had never seen before, normally hidden away under his uniform.


Realizing I was staring, I started to say "Hi," just as he said, "Hey Wendy."


I laughed, a flush starting creep up my neck.


Not seeming to notice my discomposure, Eric said, "So this is where all your gourmet lunches begin. What's on the menu this week, anything special?”


“No, too busy to cook this week. But next week I'll make peach cobbler.” The flush was mounting. If this went on much longer, he'd be able to see my furious blush.


“Oh la la, fancy. I feel accomplished if I can even find the kitchen. Your sister is lucky to have such a good cook for a roommate.”


Pam arrived, peanut butter in hand, huffing impatiently. “It was good to see you," I said as the heat crept further up my neck.


“Yeah, see you tomorrow,” he responded. With a smile, I turned to Pam, snatched what she had in her hand, put it in the cart and pressed on to the jellies, face burning.


***


Sunday morning I woke before my alarm. I stretched and yawned, feeling cheerful. Sundays were good tip days and I was looking forward to a lunch date with my Uncle Philip on Monday.


The first four rooms I did were check-outs. No tips. Well, but there would be more in the other rooms. But no, room after room, no tips. Finally one guest approached to give me a twenty. It was my first tip out of six rooms. I did a good job as a matter of pride. I was not cynical. I enjoyed making our guests comfortable and happy. Tips were a bonus. But to work so hard and earn none at all rankled. To top it off, Dave was riding my a*s that day, even more so than usual. Every time I looked down the corridor, there was Dave's squat form emerging from one of my rooms.


I crossed out my eighth room just before lunch. That day I had a staggering nineteen rooms rather than the usual sixteen, so I'd need to pick up the pace a bit after lunch to get through by five thirty.


I snagged my lunch, exiting through the housekeeping back door. I passed the housekeepers gathered around the hotel's only staff picnic table and walked down the sidewalk until I came to my favorite bench, out of reach of the cigarette smoke that hung around the staff break area. There was Eric in the distance, coming back from the sub shop attached to the far side of the hotel. He usually sat with me when he worked first shift. Today I was in luck and he settled next to me.


“Yours looks better than mine,” Eric said as we unpacked our lunches. Mine was an avocado, tomato and tempeh sandwich on Italian bread with the broccoli, carrots and cauliflower I'd packed the night before. His was a limp cold cut combo, potato chips and a soda. “I’m experiencing a serious case of sandwich envy.”


Laughing, I took pity on him and offered to share my veggies.


As we ate, dipping our vegetables in ranch dressing, Eric asked, “How are tips?”


I told him of my disappointment.


“Has this happened before? No tips on a big check out day?” His sudden intense attention surprised me.


“Well, yes, come to think of it...” I searched back in my mind. There was last Sunday. I’d noticed the odd lack of tips because I needed gas and had anticipated paying for it out of tip money.


Eric listened with interest. “Was Sean working your floor that day?”


“No, he was off. Why?”


“Sometimes employees will steal tips. But it doesn't sound as if Sean could be doing it. Pay attention. I know it can't be one of the old-timers. But maybe one of the new girls. Look out for people on your floor that don't belong there.”


No one ever intruded on my domain. Except Dave and the housemen. We had just ruled out Sean. My anger had nowhere to go so I pressed it down. I packed up the remnants of my lunch and headed back to the hotel.


***


I called my mother when I got home. I hadn't talked to her in a few weeks.


“Wendy, is that you?” Her raspy voice held her habitual anger. This was why I didn’t call often.


“Yes, Mom. Just calling to see how you’re doing.” Tucking the phone against my shoulder I picked up my shoes and bag and headed to the bedroom.


“That lay-about, Jim, lost his job.”


“I’m sorry to hear that.” This was no surprise, her taste in men did not run to the employable. I chucked my work shoes into the bottom of the closet.


“I’m going crazy with the bills. I ain’t no sugar mamma. I can barely put food on the table.”


I was glad to be away from the emotional and financial chaos that ruled my mother’s life. I couldn’t even remember who Jim was. Her bed was like a revolving door. Except when she was with Bruce. That went on for three years. I wished I could erase those three years.


“You’re still working at Patsy’s?” I asked. This was a rundown second hand store where she was cashier.


“Yeah. They still haven’t given me my raise.” Her anger was all too familiar. It was small wonder she never got the raise. She was always late and often called in, too hung over to work.


Skipping over that subject, I mentioned my lunch date with my Uncle Philip, who had retired here to Aiken to be near us.


“Don't drink from anything he touches," she said. "He's probably got AIDS. Running around in San Francisco all that time, he's sure to have it.”


I suppressed a groan. “Mom, you know he was with Tom for years. He wasn't running around.” I was now sorting my laundry, lights and darks.


“They all have it.” Where she got these ideas, I didn't know. You'd think having a gay man for a brother would have cured her of these misconceptions. I grew tired of her ignorance and ended the conversation. I gathered my load of laundry and headed to the washer. 



© 2018 SweetNutmeg


Author's Note

SweetNutmeg
I am no longer working on Wendy and will NOT return any reviews of this work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You're working hard on this, and it shows. But...as presented, it's a chronicle of events, a great many of them not significant to moving the plot, meaningfully setting the scene, or developing character. And unless they do one of those, they take up the reader's time with the mundane—informing when they should be entertaining.

Look at the opening. Wouldn't we know she was a housekeeper in a hotel if she knocked, waited, and then unlocked the door and called "Hello, Housekeeping," to be certain she wasn't walking in on anyone?

And given that we would, why spent time explaining what she does to the reader? In short, show them, don't tell them.

Do we care that it's misting rain outside if the action takes place indoors? What you're doing is taking the reader through the opening of the film version of the story, as-if-they-can-see-it. But they can't. In the opening of the film we'd see how she's dressed, her age and nationality, know the quality of the hotel, and by her car and possessions, her. But none of that reaches the reader when you mention the windshield wipers and saying hello to co-workers. And of more importance. By the time you reach the place where something meaningful happens, it's taken ten times as long to read as to watch, so the story is moving at a crawl.

Look at her opening day from a reader's viewpoint. We read 664 words. Were this a standard manuscript submission, that would place us near the top of the forth manuscript page.What have we learned:

1. She's a hotel housekeeper.
2. When she's five minutes late she's reprimanded, but another worker isn't. She believes it's unfair. My reaction is that she's apparently not smart enough plan to show up a few minutes early, just in case, and maybe drink a morning coffee before starting work.
3. She had two extra rooms to clean and was paid an unknown amount of overtime. Hardly counts as drama.
4. There's a FOP convention in the hotel. But we never see or meet one, and never learn if their rooms are more or less interesting than someone attending a podiatrist's convention. She says she doesn't like the members but we never learn why.

Four pages and what's happened? Nothing significant.

Here's the problem: Story doesn't lie in the mundane details of what happens. As a reader, do I care that a hotel maid cleaned rooms for people attending a convention if all she does is clean and go home? Do I want to know that her boss makes her re-clean things that she actually missed? Not unless she's going to murder him for it. Is he demanding? Is he a jerk? Sure. But she already knows this and she's just griping, rather then trying to quit or change the situation.

Put yourself in the place of a reader. Mild curiosity has driven you to read the opening to this story, to decide if you want to commit to reading it all. And the average reader will decide, in three pages or less, if they want to stop reading, As you read, that curiosity will fade unless you replace it with a desire—a need— to know more. So, given that: What in that first day makes this story more interesting than a story about a bus driver as he drives his route? What makes it more interesting then that of any other employee in that hotel. What makes it more intersting than a list of what that reader did on that day?

As the great Alfred Hitchcock observed: "Drama is life without the dull bits."

See my point? You're informing the reader about things they might do themselves instead of reading. I could, for example, clean my apartment. Is that less or more interesting than leaning that someone I don't know has cleaned hotel rooms?

Now...had she found a body in the bathtub...had someone jumped out of the bathtub, naked, and chased her around the hotel...had a ghost appeared and told her that she had six hours to live...had something happened that required her to solve an interesting problem... Then, the reader would WANT to read on. And if we don't make them want (or better yet, need) to turn the page they won't.

The short version: It's not you. It's not about your talent as a writer. It's not the story. It's that they do NOT teach us how to write fiction in school. They teach us to write reports and essays: nonfiction, in other words, to prepare us for employment.

They never tell us that because our teachers aren't any more aware than we are that writing fiction is, like any other field, filled with tricks of the trade, specialized knowledge, and things that are obvious once pointed out—like the three points to address when starting a scene. And that's what's holding you back. You may be awash with talent. But as mark Twain observed, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

So the solution is simple: pick up the tricks of a pro and maybe you'll write like one. I say, "maybe," because we can't know if we can write like one till we learn the tricks they know, and and practice them, any more than we can know if we're professional ballplaying material till we learn the tricks of how to play ball like a pro.

But here's the good news: If you are to be a writer you'll find the learning fun, and filled with things that make you say, "Why didn't I see that?"

I won't sugar coat it. Anyone can write for fun. If you hope to be a writer, though, it will take study, and lots and lots of practice till you can convince the writing skills that are so practiced that they feel intuitive to stop grabbing at the controls when you try to write fiction. But when you do, you'll be amazed at the difference in how exciting your writing can be.

The local library's fiction writing section can help, a lot. And my personal recommendation, as it usually is, is it to seek the names Dwight Swain, Jack Bickham, and Debra Dixon on the cover.

In fact, I'd suggest you begin with Deb's, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict. You can pick it up at any online bookseller, or in hard copy from her site. It's a warm easy read, and will give you a good feel for the nuts and bolts issues. Well worth the time to read, slowly, with lots of time to think about each point as it's raised, and practice it till it's part of your skill set, as against noted and forgotten three days later. The articles in my writing blog might also help, by giving you an idea of the issues involved that you need to address.

But whatever you do, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/

Appended: I just noted that you say you're not working on this. So I looked at your other writing, and the points I note here apply to your other stories, as well.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

5 Years Ago

I will definitely put Swain's on my reading list. I've been given a good number of recommendations f.. read more
JayG

5 Years Ago

• The size of the room actually does matter in the next chapter, so i will contemplate that.
.. read more
SweetNutmeg

5 Years Ago

Again, thank you, and my apologies for taking so long to get back to this. Inconvenient and annoying.. read more



Reviews

This is a good first chapter. Not that you should change anything, but something I'm always conscious of is the number of characters introduced early on. My belief is that they should be kept down as much as possible in the beginning, so as to not drain away the reader's interest. Very lean on details and characters until the reader is taken in. That's just me, of course. "unlike I,"--I think "unlike me" sounds better.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

4 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! This story is an old one I mainly keep up to remind myself.. read more
Still worth the read when I have nothing better to do. gives me the in insights of what kind of writer you are so let me be the judge. I found it quite interesting yet maintain or fair monotone dialogue wondering where it was going and where it was going to lead me but interesting enough to get me to move to the next chapter.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

4 Years Ago

Oh goodness, you really are tearing through my stuff. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I appreci.. read more
You're working hard on this, and it shows. But...as presented, it's a chronicle of events, a great many of them not significant to moving the plot, meaningfully setting the scene, or developing character. And unless they do one of those, they take up the reader's time with the mundane—informing when they should be entertaining.

Look at the opening. Wouldn't we know she was a housekeeper in a hotel if she knocked, waited, and then unlocked the door and called "Hello, Housekeeping," to be certain she wasn't walking in on anyone?

And given that we would, why spent time explaining what she does to the reader? In short, show them, don't tell them.

Do we care that it's misting rain outside if the action takes place indoors? What you're doing is taking the reader through the opening of the film version of the story, as-if-they-can-see-it. But they can't. In the opening of the film we'd see how she's dressed, her age and nationality, know the quality of the hotel, and by her car and possessions, her. But none of that reaches the reader when you mention the windshield wipers and saying hello to co-workers. And of more importance. By the time you reach the place where something meaningful happens, it's taken ten times as long to read as to watch, so the story is moving at a crawl.

Look at her opening day from a reader's viewpoint. We read 664 words. Were this a standard manuscript submission, that would place us near the top of the forth manuscript page.What have we learned:

1. She's a hotel housekeeper.
2. When she's five minutes late she's reprimanded, but another worker isn't. She believes it's unfair. My reaction is that she's apparently not smart enough plan to show up a few minutes early, just in case, and maybe drink a morning coffee before starting work.
3. She had two extra rooms to clean and was paid an unknown amount of overtime. Hardly counts as drama.
4. There's a FOP convention in the hotel. But we never see or meet one, and never learn if their rooms are more or less interesting than someone attending a podiatrist's convention. She says she doesn't like the members but we never learn why.

Four pages and what's happened? Nothing significant.

Here's the problem: Story doesn't lie in the mundane details of what happens. As a reader, do I care that a hotel maid cleaned rooms for people attending a convention if all she does is clean and go home? Do I want to know that her boss makes her re-clean things that she actually missed? Not unless she's going to murder him for it. Is he demanding? Is he a jerk? Sure. But she already knows this and she's just griping, rather then trying to quit or change the situation.

Put yourself in the place of a reader. Mild curiosity has driven you to read the opening to this story, to decide if you want to commit to reading it all. And the average reader will decide, in three pages or less, if they want to stop reading, As you read, that curiosity will fade unless you replace it with a desire—a need— to know more. So, given that: What in that first day makes this story more interesting than a story about a bus driver as he drives his route? What makes it more interesting then that of any other employee in that hotel. What makes it more intersting than a list of what that reader did on that day?

As the great Alfred Hitchcock observed: "Drama is life without the dull bits."

See my point? You're informing the reader about things they might do themselves instead of reading. I could, for example, clean my apartment. Is that less or more interesting than leaning that someone I don't know has cleaned hotel rooms?

Now...had she found a body in the bathtub...had someone jumped out of the bathtub, naked, and chased her around the hotel...had a ghost appeared and told her that she had six hours to live...had something happened that required her to solve an interesting problem... Then, the reader would WANT to read on. And if we don't make them want (or better yet, need) to turn the page they won't.

The short version: It's not you. It's not about your talent as a writer. It's not the story. It's that they do NOT teach us how to write fiction in school. They teach us to write reports and essays: nonfiction, in other words, to prepare us for employment.

They never tell us that because our teachers aren't any more aware than we are that writing fiction is, like any other field, filled with tricks of the trade, specialized knowledge, and things that are obvious once pointed out—like the three points to address when starting a scene. And that's what's holding you back. You may be awash with talent. But as mark Twain observed, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

So the solution is simple: pick up the tricks of a pro and maybe you'll write like one. I say, "maybe," because we can't know if we can write like one till we learn the tricks they know, and and practice them, any more than we can know if we're professional ballplaying material till we learn the tricks of how to play ball like a pro.

But here's the good news: If you are to be a writer you'll find the learning fun, and filled with things that make you say, "Why didn't I see that?"

I won't sugar coat it. Anyone can write for fun. If you hope to be a writer, though, it will take study, and lots and lots of practice till you can convince the writing skills that are so practiced that they feel intuitive to stop grabbing at the controls when you try to write fiction. But when you do, you'll be amazed at the difference in how exciting your writing can be.

The local library's fiction writing section can help, a lot. And my personal recommendation, as it usually is, is it to seek the names Dwight Swain, Jack Bickham, and Debra Dixon on the cover.

In fact, I'd suggest you begin with Deb's, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict. You can pick it up at any online bookseller, or in hard copy from her site. It's a warm easy read, and will give you a good feel for the nuts and bolts issues. Well worth the time to read, slowly, with lots of time to think about each point as it's raised, and practice it till it's part of your skill set, as against noted and forgotten three days later. The articles in my writing blog might also help, by giving you an idea of the issues involved that you need to address.

But whatever you do, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/

Appended: I just noted that you say you're not working on this. So I looked at your other writing, and the points I note here apply to your other stories, as well.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

5 Years Ago

I will definitely put Swain's on my reading list. I've been given a good number of recommendations f.. read more
JayG

5 Years Ago

• The size of the room actually does matter in the next chapter, so i will contemplate that.
.. read more
SweetNutmeg

5 Years Ago

Again, thank you, and my apologies for taking so long to get back to this. Inconvenient and annoying.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 30, 2018
Last Updated on May 7, 2018


Author

SweetNutmeg
SweetNutmeg

About
I am returning all reviews of "The Past Follows." I am sorry to say I don't do poetry. At all. As in, never. Not even for you. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Ritual The Ritual

A Story by Mark


On The River On The River

A Story by