Uaimh

Uaimh

A Story by C Gilliam
"

Who is willing to travel an into an unknown fate?

"

They traveled in pairs; never more than two, never less. The mission involved the two going into a cave at the bottom of a cliff that overlooked the Atlantic Ocean. Small wooden boats were lowered over the rocky cliff with the two already inside. A large line of people slowly let off each rope from the two ends of the boat. They were sure to be careful not to let go too much or too little as it would tip the boat, spilling the bodies into the rocky water below. This was the safest way into the cave.

The only other way in was to go to the end of the cliff, a six mile walk in which you could depart from a shallow beach. The problem with that route was that the coast line in which they had to travel back in the direction of the cave was filled with large rocks that would surely sink any boat that passed through. They would have to go further into the deep ocean to get away from the danger putting them in further jeopardy from threatening animals of the sea. The only pair who had tried this route was supposedly killed when they were thrown into the first rock and had their limbs tore off and eaten right away. It was never certain whether this was true or if they had simply created the story for preventative measure. No matter the case, it served the purpose.

 The option of lowering them down into the treacherous ocean over the cliff allowed them to maneuver for only a short distance before reaching the cave only a few yards away. This was first tested by groups of men. It wasn’t until the sixth boat that they made it safely into the water. The twenty or thirty people holding each rope let out a foot at a time as the people in the front stayed back from the edge. The smaller people and children in the back helped guide it all the way down. As they let out the last bit of rope, the boat splashed into the water. The community gathered at the top of the cliff looked down intently to watch the fate of the brave men. The men quickly got out the hand crafted oars from below their feet and paddled quickly in the direction of the giant hole in the rock wall. Before they made it to their destination, a large wave overcame them and sent them crashing into the very thing they managed to safely come down from. The people above looked on in awe as they always had when they watched their loved ones become part of the vast flatness that would inevitably drop them off in mysterious fashion.

Even so, the tradition continued. At the moment the sun came up on the seventh day another boat would be lowered. Another two men would test their fate in the manner their elders taught them to. This would continue on without question or thought. Eventually the women and children would take their turn, always with a man to steer the boat. They grew more successful in making it down to the water at each passing turn. After some time this community would become inflicted with a sickness that would leave no survivors. The only potential remaining members were the three boats that successfully made it into the cave. Escaping the hazardous rocks and menacing sea creatures, their fate was unknown.

© 2013 C Gilliam


Author's Note

C Gilliam
I would appreciate all feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There seems to be a cool idea underlying the story but it gets a bit lost. I suspect it is clear to the author but perhaps a bit too much innuendo and inference. Also, a careful consideration of each sentence would reveal unnecessary words and how the sentences connect to each other. Considering the implication and implied meanings of words. Mission for example, evokes something official, something covert, something military. Lack of reviews is usually significant also.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I wish there was more

Posted 11 Years Ago


C Gilliam

11 Years Ago

I guess I'm not sure if that is good or bad...
This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2129 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2013
Last Updated on February 24, 2013
Tags: Short Story, Fiction, Fate, Unknown, Death, Life, Cliff, Ocean