Chapter 2 - Life in Durnshire

Chapter 2 - Life in Durnshire

A Chapter by Nataliya Maize
"

An intro to Keira and her life in Durnshire.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter 2 - Life in Durnshire.



It was a beautiful, early morning. Keira sat quietly at the edge of her bedside admiring the scenery of the Durnshire Valley from the view of her bedroom window. A silent morning where the sun had only begun to rise above the tops of a distance mountain range, and the sky remained painted in a canvas of various pastels.
Slowly Keira rose to her feet. She stretched her limbs, and slipped over her head a light, white, linen dress, tucking her delicate feet into a pair of thick cozy brown boots. She pulled her thick wavy hair up and over the top of her shoulder, running a comb through the length of several chocolate-colored locks.


And with a quick glance out her bedroom window she rushed downstairs and grabbed one of the delightful, little-green apples that sat upon the kitchen counter before racing out the back door of the Blakely cottage.
It had become Keira's daily routine to be the first of her family to awaken; regardless of the hindering circumstances of her constant nightly occurrences. It was the only time when Keira could find peace; enough so, too reflect back on the images, and meanings of her reoccurring dreams.


Although, it was not the only reason she preferred to be alone. On the days she managed to complete her chores, she found her mother would instead use her as example to the other children. Granting Keira the rest of the next day off, rather than burdening her with a bunch of annoying, mindless tasks. Simple things such as folding fresh laundry hung dry upon the clothes-lines outback, or plucking and sorting baskets of fruits and vegetables from the grounds of the family gardens to sell as produce in the town marketplace, would always suffice.    


But such things never really bothered Keira. They remained the few moments she felt she could escape and make the most of her time alone. Often drifting in and out of thought as she pondered the meanings of the dreams relevance to the life she led, versus the one she wished she had.
Quietly, Keira preceded out-back to a small shed behind the Blakely cottage. Inside there sat two empty baskets upon a small wooden table. She grabbed the baskets and made her way over to a bed of ripe strawberries and tomatoes, plucking them carefully as she placed them at the base of her basket. It was so quite out that the mere task of things seemed mindless, and Keira found herself fading off again into random thoughts as she continued.


At heart she was an eccentric, seeing beauty in things that others saw only as the mundane, or norm. And although she lived a simple life, as boring and repetitive as it was, it was her life, and these short moments of solitude where she could find peace in the simplest of things.
 

Her father, Wilburn, had often hounded her for being more of a drifter than that of an inspiring career woman; making a name for herself in the busy, town streets of Downtown Durnshire.


But in truth, Keira had never known what she would do in life. And it was these moments when the mere thought of things would lead her adrift, venturing through the small gathering of tree forest, and into the sea of Durnshire grass fields just beyond the hills of the Blakely residence.


It was a quite forest, with small dirt-paths. Keira gazed up at the rich, emerald-colored leaves of the treetops above her; watching as they swayed in various directions from a light breeze sweeping in from a distance. Slowly she continued her travels, finding a narrow path through a multitude of bushy grass-fields where she would lie amongst the warmth of the earth. She ran her fingers through the soft blades of greenery, until landing upon the delicate peddles of a tiny pink flower. Her eyes rose to the sky above her as she listened to the sing-song of several birds, and the babble of a nearby brook.


She was a young woman of five foot four, with soft, radiant, golden-bronze skin that drank in the sun's rays.
A dreamer and drifter, constantly losing herself to thoughts of far off distant lands, fairy-tales of kings and queens, and other worlds much more magical and consuming then the one she believed to be her own.
 

It was this place she would run to that felt so magical, different from the usual life that awaited her return home each and every day. And as she lay there, angelic-like and statuesque, upon the bed of a thick grassy meadow, wrapping bits of wavy locks around the tips of her fingers, she found herself wondering once more... “There must be more to life than this.”

#


That afternoon, Keira returned to the cottage, carrying with her the baskets of sorted vegetables and fruit. When she found three of her four siblings crouching over the top of a small dirt hill. A thin piece of cut cardboard laying beneath them, for what looked to be a makeshift sleigh. To her right, stood the fourth sibling, Anthony, mocking the others in their ill attempt to slide down from the top of small dirt hill.


“Anthony, what are doing?" She asked.


“Waiting for these three scholars to slide down.” He responded plainly.


“Whhyy?”


“So I can laugh at them when they knock themselves unconscious!” He replied smiling. “I told them it was a bad idea, but do they ever listen!?” He rolled his eyes. Keira giggled and choke her head.


Anthony was a tall slender boy, with brown hair, and hazel green eyes. The second oldest of the boys. An analyzer by nature, who possessed a sarcastic personality, and quite often -outspoken. He studied the various possibilities of any given situation before tempting fate. But unfortunately, this was one of those times when the youngest brother James would ignore his warnings and cry out in his typical response...


"Oh come on... learn to live a little would ya!” James was a short, dirty-blonde haired boy with tan skin, and piercing, baby-blues. A daredevil who laughed at the idea of tempting fate purely for the sake of tempting it. And in most cases he feared absolutely nothing. Keira could remember several occurrences when their father would reminisce of the stories of James and his little adventures. Referring to a time when James had once broken his arm from a terrible fall, only to look up at his father and  holding out his arm yelling, "Look daddy... it jiggles!" as he laughed hysterically at his limp, wobbling limb.  


Then there was Michael, oldest of the three boys, and at times a dare devil like James. He was much taller than the others. Tan skinned, dark hair, dark eyes, and handsome. For the most part Michael was the family comedian, performing silly imitations of high society townspeople. Frequently carrying on for days at a time, speaking new accents that suited his interests, purely for the sake of making others laugh, and eventually himself. The family enjoyed his little rants because he was so good at staying in character for long periods of time. Unfortunately, it made dinner into a difficult task when attempting to swallow food without choking from laughter.


Lastly, there was May. The youngest of the five. A petite little thing with dark, chocolate-colored eyes, and long, black-brown hair. A gentle soul, happy to follow alongside her brothers. Luckily, the boys had always included her in their daily journeys of Durnshire, with a closely kept eye. And for that reason she had grown accustomed to placing her trust in them. Although sometimes, she knew very well that her brothers were up to no good, and like them and their mischievous personalities she thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.


“If you fall, I am sooo... going to laugh!" Anthony hollered, cupping his hands over his mouth.


“Keira!” Yelled May. “Come up here with us! It'll be fun!"


“No thanks May!” Keira replied. “But you three be careful! I've got to take these baskets to the market stand! And Michael, you'd better be careful with her up there, if she gets hurt... you're in big trouble mister!" Keira continued.

“She'll be fine!” Michael replied. “She's riding in back! She can use us as meat shields!”


“Mwuhahaha!” Laughed James in a devious tone. “You said meat shield!”


“Oh...lord.” Keira whispered to herself. “Anthony, make sure you get mom, if someone gets hurt.”


“Asss usual!” He replied sarcastically, slapping a hand against his forehead in salute.


#
 

The trip to the marketplace didn't take long. Keira drove the family horse carriage across town and over the large, stone-paved bridge that connected the two halves of Durnshire's rural countryside to its busy downtown market area.

As she neared her destination she steadied her horse, hopped off the rickety old seat, and carefully stacked the two baskets of produce. She made sure not to crush any of the produce, considering this was family's sole means of income.

Quite often Keira's mother made mention of extending the family business to her. She had been impressed in Keira's sense of responsibility, and pride in their work. But in fact, Keira couldn't fathom the thought of letting down her mother. Nevertheless, the people of the marketplace had always taken kindly to doing business with Keira.

And although it helped she'd been sent into the business from an early age, her customers were always glad to see her familiar friendly face.

Slowly Keira began her lengthy walk though the busy town. Maneuvering carefully through the bustling crowds that clustered the markets of the town streets.

The town of Durnshire was a happy and humble community, a bit larger than the average size. Still, the people prided themselves on their philosophy to hold open their doors to the travelers that crossed their borders. It was a beautiful, cozy town, with streets paved in sparsely covered moss cobble-stone, and green undergrowth. Streets lined with several country cottage-like business buildings. Each placed closely to the other, and embellished with fancy flower-boxes that hung outside large, bay windows. Roof-tops decorated by overrunning, sweetly scented, plant-life draping freely over the edges of various entryways, and where even the walls of the buildings themselves appeared plump and rounded, as if content and satisfied.

Businessmen with rounded bellies, and rosy-red cheeks, dressed in nothing more than a simple black suit and top-hat they would place atop their balding heads. Gentleman, who would always go out of their way to greet the familiar faces of the townsfolk, as they stepped down into the busy marketplace.
 
There were several merchant stands clustered in groups, running from one side of town to the other. Each of them selling items ranging from exotic plant-life and animals, to rare and handmade jewelry. Beautiful, elegant, hand-blown glass, clothing, incense, and an abundance of freshly grown produce, and a cluster of laughing children playing with the occasional young pup, all intertwined down the crowded streets and throughout the open cobble stoned courtyards. Even the courtyards themselves were decorated with scattered planters of trees and vibrant flowers, where blacksmiths had crafted elegantly designed cast-iron benches that circled their retaining walls. It was a lovely town that Keira admired, and its people were just as beautiful. When she finally reached the her destination she saw the welcoming faces of the merchants she had long down business with.  
 
The marketplaces of Mister Merrill Garrison, a vegetable vendor and his neighbor, Ms. Evelyn Ashford, a fruit merchant.

Mister Garrison was a large, middle-aged man with a small patch of balding hair, and a strange accent Keira could never pinpoint the origin of. Still, she had always believed him to be a fun-loving man. And although his demeanor reminded her more of a snooty ole' gourmet chef, she thoroughly enjoyed her weekly visits, listening to the two bicker like an old married couple.

Ms. Evelyn, as Keira commonly referred to her, was a sweet, elderly woman, who at times made it a point to voice her opinions in a rather bold manner. She had medium length, blondish-gray hair that made it obvious she had seen many days in her time. But after several years of faithful deliveries, Keira began to see her as the grandmother figure she had never had; and to her, they were more than friends, they were family.

As she reached the stand Keira laid the  two baskets upon the counter. And for her efforts the merchants was handed her a hefty satchel of gold coins for payment.

“Aww... still not married I see Ms. Keira... tisk tisk!” Said the jolly fat man, grabbing Keira's hand gently, as he studied the lack of ring upon her finger. “What a pity indeed!” He continued, placing two chubby arms atop his oversized belly. “Ya know... me son would make a fine suitor for such a woman of yer el lee gance, an beauty.” He smiled. “Shoot... I'd take ya fer me self if I wer n't such an ole' fart!” He laughed. “A ban 'ker that boys gonna be, I tel ya!” He announced pointing a stubby sausage like finger into the air.

“Oh... come now Merrill!” Keira Interrupted. “You know I have no intentions of settling down any time soon.” She smirked. “Besides, I want to be a writer one day, I don't have time to be settling down and raising children right now.”

“Now, Merrill... don't you go get tin that poor girls head all washed up in that mishy mushy non sense!" Evelyn interrupted. “There's nothing wrong with being a single business women! Or a writer for that mat 'ter! Besides... you know her muthers got her eye on handing Keira the family business!” She pointed a finger at him, shaking it from side to side. “And the poor girl does it so well!”

Mr. Garrison grunted, and moaned as if insulted by Evelyn's interruptions.

“Yes... my mother would try to keep me locked up working the family business if she knew she had the chance.” Keira replied. “Speaking of which... I'd better get back soon before she sends out the cavalry. You know how she is.” Keira laughed.

“Okay.” Evelyn smiled. “Well it was good seein' you again Keira! And don't you forget to tell that muther of yers hello from me!” The woman shouted, as Keira began making her way back through the crowd.

“Sure a thing Evelyn!” She hollered back.

“Oh! And don't you go payin' no mind to Mister Gary 'son 'an his lovey, dovey, non sense! There ain't nuthing wrong wit be 'in a hard workin single woman! Specially those author types!” The woman continued to yell, before muttering under her breath. “Ban 'ker my a*s. Men... ain't nuthing good 'bout them!" She added as she arranged her fruit and received the usual c**k eyed glare from Garrison. “What?!” She asked, sticking her tongue out.

                

         © Copyright 2008 Nataliya Maize.  All rights reserved.

 

 



© 2009 Nataliya Maize


Author's Note

Nataliya Maize
Second Draft. I made a lot of cuts because I worried that the chapter was dragging and becoming more of a bore. Please let me know what you think.

My main goal here was to give the reader background on Keira's everyday life. Unfortunately I had an issue when I realized how lengthy the chapter was. I based the characters after my own family so this is also a bit of a tribute to their memory and our childhood.



Featured Review

I'm not sure if you've allready cut this chapter or not, but I didn't find it boring or at all too long. I found your elegant and professional writing style to be very pleasing and easy to read. I loved the depth you give to all the characters, the details of thier personalities, mostly. You have a way of bringing them and their surrounding to life. It's reafreshing and sucks the reader in because it's just so realistic.

I love that you've based these characters off of your own siblings and yourself. It seems to really help with the realism, the flavor, the colorful attitudes of all of them.

Nicely done indeed. When I'm able I'll most certainly be reading on. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

As a first time reader of this, i think this is really great work. The descriptions of the town are great and the imagery you have used throughout is beautiful, and it kind of reminds me of a number of old country villages I have been to. The character development is great, and I really look forward to reading the ret of this.

I think your only problem with it is your grammar, which of course is easily fixed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


hiya Nataliya, I loved the story line, for Keira, the last three paragraphs, I lost trail. Don't know why. I wanted to read not only her, but how her life would change, or a little conflict, but it was great for introductory in her character. ---mishy

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think the length is fine...the plot and descriptions move easily for the reader. Plus you've captured very well the language of the two characters' at the end...(i did notice you used the past tense for their descriptions..i.e.: was, had, when telling about them, but easy to change grammerically speaking)
Very well done overall!
will read more as time permits.!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Once again you never ceast to amaze me. I loved this chapter. Of course it was much longer then the others but there was more to say. I loved your character deveoplement and you did a great job expressing her day to day life, dont change a thing about this chapter!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think you should cut it out at all. I love this.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think you need to cut anything out of this. I would leave it all in. It builds you main person in the story.
And like you said " its a tribute to your brothers and family.
The story is moving quite well and I can't wait to get to the next chapter.......

Kelley

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm not sure if you've allready cut this chapter or not, but I didn't find it boring or at all too long. I found your elegant and professional writing style to be very pleasing and easy to read. I loved the depth you give to all the characters, the details of thier personalities, mostly. You have a way of bringing them and their surrounding to life. It's reafreshing and sucks the reader in because it's just so realistic.

I love that you've based these characters off of your own siblings and yourself. It seems to really help with the realism, the flavor, the colorful attitudes of all of them.

Nicely done indeed. When I'm able I'll most certainly be reading on. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2009
Last Updated on December 19, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Nataliya Maize
Nataliya Maize

Moreno Valley, CA



About
- When we were young, and life was different - Check out my websites: My Twitter: http://twitter.com/NMaize A.N.A. Twitter: http://twitter.com/anaw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Thumb Thumb

A Poem by Sean M. Addams





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5