Chapter 10 - Dreamscape

Chapter 10 - Dreamscape

A Chapter by Nataliya Maize
"

Keira searches for answer within her mother's journal, and finds something of curiosity.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter 10 - Dreamscape.



        “You did good out there.” Rozlend spoke, trying to hold back his amusement. “Like... you knew what you were doing all along.”

    “Yeah weird isn’t it.” Keira replied, whipping the sweat off her face with a small cloth, still confused by the ease of her new found abilities.

    “So how’d you do it?”

    “I don’t know...it just...it felt natural... like... like its always been there, and holding that staff...” She shook her head in thought. “It just...it made it real -comfortable -almost easy.” Keira studied her open hands, overcome by a feeling of sudden disbelief.

    “No one finds wielding easy Keira, no one. Not even the most skilled wielders have the ability to pick up a staff and learn the motions in a days time, it takes alot more training than that.” he emphasized, has he walked further into the cottage living room, closing the door behind. “Thomas and Maedoc will want to train you with a wand soon, but I doubt that it will be as easy.”

    “Gee... what’s the rush?” Keira giggled to herself. Rozlend sighed.

    “This isn’t a game Keira! There is a real war out there, and if what happened to you the other day wasn’t just a coincidence then...” he trailed off, as he climbed into one of the nearby chairs, and rested his elbows upon his knees in thought.

    “Then what?” she asked, turning to face him, her brows clinched.

    “Lets just say that the fight might be little closer to our doorstep then we thought.”

    “I never said it wasn’t...I don’t look at this like some sick joke Rozlend! Besides...how do you even know what you do, how do you know so much about me? About every little thing that goes on around here all the time, when I know nothing. I’m completely oblivious, like I’m playing a game of follow the leader; never knowing what to expect next, just going with the flow, like some mindless twit doing what everyone  tells her too, going where ever they say!”

    “It’s really that hard for you isn’t.” He’s amber glare was sharp, his brows clinched, and Keira realized, it wasn’t a question, it was a statement.

    “Yes, it is! One day I’m at home picking vegetables from my mothers garden and the next, I’m off to fight some battle I never even knew took place, and meeting creatures I never even thought existed! I left a family behind Rozlend! The only family I ever knew. A mother that relied on me, a father afraid of losing me, three younger brothers, and my little baby sister, and I just up and left them, no questions asked! So no, this isn’t exactly easy for me either!”

     “I’m sorry. I just thought that... I mean I know...”

     “Don’t... just stop, because maybe you don’t really know me as well as you think you do after all.”

     “Keira! I just think that...” He stood to his feet to explain. “That maybe deep down, you believe it to, you know it’s true and you always have known.”

    “Known what, Rozlend?”

    “Geez Keira! Does everything really have to be spelled out for you? You protected them, you followed your instincts, that’s what a wielder does. It’s in your nature.”

    “My nature? And what about you Rozlend? Your my brother right? Then isn’t in our nature? Oh... that’s right... you don’t like to talk about it much, you’d rather I just turn around and walk away! So tell me, what is this all to you? Why do you all of a sudden give a damn?!”

    “I’m not  a wielder... not exactly anyways.” Rozlend mumbled.

    “Then what -what are you... exactly?! What... just an angry person, looking for someone to take it all out on?!”

    “Ugh! Does it really matter! You never belonged there anyways! That, was never your world Keira! This was... this... is where you belong! I didn’t see it before, but I didn’t want to believe it either, but now... now I know...”

    “Well I’m glad you do... because honestly... I don’t even know if I belong anywhere anymore. All this time I’ve been wondering where I truly belong. Wondering what ever happened to my real family, if I even had any real brothers and sisters, hoping that one day all my questions would be answered, and then... one day my questions were answered for me... and what did you say? Oh, that’s right... leave!” Her voice was low and soft spoken, but the words whiped off her tongue like a bee sting. Angry, and upset Keira turned her gaze away from Rozlend and left him standing there, alone, and speechless in the middle of the cottage living room.
   
 


   
    That night the words from their conversation echoed in Keira’s mind; adding themselves to all the other questions that began to flood her thoughts. She was upstairs now, sitting at her bedside fiddling with the strap that tightly bound her mother’s journal, preserving its thin golden yellow pages. Slowly she unwound the tiny strap, and opened the little book, flipping until she found a few blank pages to jot down the questions that remained in her head.

 

    “It’s in my nature...I wish I understood exactly what he meant when he said that. I wish I could understand half of anything that goes on these days. How Rozlend knew so much about my life before here. What my mother meant when she said “what if he has some control over her through these dreams” Demons? Could that have been what she meant? Could it all be true? Could the dreams I’m having actually be real, or just imagines in my head. No one has even said anything about them, but everyone is dead set on the idea that something bad is going to happen soon, and I wish I knew what it was. But how could someone have power over me through dreams? There’s so many unanswered questions. Why would my mother and father be so excepting of my leaving home with Thomas? All this time I thought that I had abandoned them, but when I think about it... my mother had wanted me to go, she wanted me to find the truth. They knew this would happen all along didn’t they? They knew something was coming, but what? And wont anyone tell me?

    And Rozlend, even though he was surprised to see me, it’s like he already knows who I am. Knew of the things I did on a daily basis, knew who my family was, and what I’ve beenI suffer from. “The same type of dreams” That’s what he said last night, but he never told me what “type” of dreams haunted him... why?

    A guessing game, like pieces to a puzzle I can’t quite put together. There must be a reason, something more, something missing. I always felt like life held some many more mysteries to it, but I never knew why. Could that be what he meant? That deep down I knew it was true, knew it all along?

    My parents felt hopeless, Thomas was frightened at the mention of Clara... Callynndria’s name. “He has control over her in these dreams”, “neutrals”, the broken alliance between mythlore creatures, humans, and angels. Maedoc had mentioned that he was referred to as “the hermit”, but that the very name was quite far from the truth, that him and Thomas had always been long time friends, yet in all my years of knowing Thomas never once did I hear him speak of Maedoc until now. “One to look over the boy, and the other to look over the girl”. To look over me... why would Thomas leave behind the magical world for a world that was oblivious of it’s existence, what was he watching over me for? Why could my birth mother not “protect” me, and what would she be “protecting” me from? So many pieces to the puzzle, so many questions to ask. But none of them making the least bit of sense.

    Was Thomas my guardian all this time? Waiting to guide me in the right direction? Would his journey end here after leading me to Rozlend? The anger, ill-tempered brother, who was unwilling to accept my arrival... but not now. He sees that I can handle myself, sees that I am becoming... a wielder. His attitude was different today... something has changed.     He was so upset when I arrived, and now... maybe he’s right, maybe the fight is closer then we thought, and maybe there’s just no more time for arguments.

    But why are they all afraid to tell me what’s coming... to say anything? Because this is all new to me. Not of my world, at least not the world I was raised in. Or were they just afraid to tell me because they were afraid for me, or are they afraid of me? “It’s in your nature.” That’s what he said, but what did he mean?  Are they afraid of my reaction? Afraid that I’ll have the same episode as the one I had on the road with the Slyph? There must be something more, something missing to the puzzle. But what?”



   
    Keira, continued flipping through the pages of the journal, searching for anything that could give her answers to the questions that flooded her mind. “It’s in your nature” surely there most be something in this journal about the nature of a wielder.” She thought to herself, as her fingers flew through the pages figorously. Surely her mother must have written something in regards to the nature of a wielder other than the obsecure entries Keira had found previously. And suddenly, there it was... two tiny passages, and the answer she was looking for after all, that read:




    “And when the lord came down from heaven, he spoke to the men of the world, and gave upon them the power of his spirit, the spirit that was placed upon the seventy elders. And when the spirit rested upon them, it would come to pass, that they would prophesize, and behold, the gate keeper, but they would never prophesize again.”


    “And you will know there are prophets of Evo among you, when I reveal myself to them in visions, and when I speak to them in dreams and in whispers, and so too will they onto you, of those... that have been chosen.”


    Keira read the two passages out loud, her fingers brushing over the each scripted letter, until running across the two last scribbled words beneath them...,

   
    “The Dreamscape”

and two tiny penned intials.

    “C.C.”

The intials of her mother, Callynndria Callowmere.

 

© Copyright 2008 Nataliya Maize. All rights reserved.

 



© 2009 Nataliya Maize


Author's Note

Nataliya Maize
Ok, I just finished this, would really love to hear your comments on this first draft.



Reviews

this was awsome! you need to finish writing this so i can continue reading it and see what happens next!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 21, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Nataliya Maize
Nataliya Maize

Moreno Valley, CA



About
- When we were young, and life was different - Check out my websites: My Twitter: http://twitter.com/NMaize A.N.A. Twitter: http://twitter.com/anaw.. more..

Writing