Chapter 11 - Obscured Passage

Chapter 11 - Obscured Passage

A Chapter by Nataliya Maize
"

Keira is determined to seek out her mother, after discovering obscured entries in her mother's journal.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter 11 - Obscured Passage.



     “Look at this entry! There has to be something more to this!” Keira demanded. An entire day had gone by after reading the entries from her mother’s journal. Her mind trying to wrap itself around the meanings of Callynndria’s words, and the mysterious passages written within. All day Keira had focused herself upon studying each word, over and over in her head until coming to several drawn conclusions. Writing one note after another upon a large piece of parchment, before finally choosing to share her discoveries with Thomas and Maedoc.

 

 

     “These have to be clues she’s trying to send me.” Keira demanded. “She must have known I’d ask you, why else would she have written her entries this way. Not one of them have been direct, not one of them written with either my name, or hers included, nor anyone elses. Why? Why would she go through all the trouble of avoiding to write anyone’s name? What was she afraid of, and why would she make sure to keep her journal hidden safely away until she knew I could read it? Thomas you must know something? If not you then maybe Maedoc, I don't know, but there has to be something more here!”  

 

 

“I agree... Keira’s right. Why else would Callynndria go out of her way to make sure not to mention her name nor even anyone else connected to her? She was insistent upon me giving this book to Keira. But “The Dreamscape”...?” Thomas whispered to himself. “I’ve never heard such a term used before, but the entries...”

 

 

 

     “I most have passed through these pages one after another several times last night, and not one of them other than this particular entry was initialed. She has to be trying to tell me something. There has to be something more behind these writings. I just feel like she’s trying to tell me something, but I don’t know why or what! It’s just that... every single entry I’ve read so far, has been like another subtle clue, windows into her world, her thoughts, her memories, but always drawing attention to one specific point. There has to be some kind of connection here, why else would she bother to make sure I got this book, other than sentimental reasons? Why not a necklace or family heirloom? Why of all things a journal with nothing but obscure passages written throughout? Look at these other entries!” Keira flipped through the pages of the small book, pointing out various lines in the entries as she read them off.

 

 

 

    Entry one:


     “I see him in my sleep; he speaks to me in whispers. Visions of a man, in and out they fade, followed only by a darkened sense.”

 

 

     Entry Two:


     “Pieces, of a crumbling puzzle, never again will it take shape of its former self. And still, I wonder -where do I begin to pick up the pieces of a broken past, and reshape anew...”

 

 

  

     “I think Callynndria was planning for something, I think she knew something was coming, and she was trying to prepare herself, and me for whatever it was, but what it was, I don’t know?”

 

 

     “The Book of Evo.” Maedoc mumbled, his tone low and steady. His tiny body leaning over the sharp metal poker he held in his hands, as he stood there gazing over the dancing flames of the fire lost in thought, and appearing as if he hadn’t needed to hear a word of what was spoken. “The passages you read last night, the passages you spoke of earlier... are from The Ancient Book of Evo, the old texts.”

 

 

     “The Book of Evo?” Keira questioned.

 

 

     “You think there’s a connection Maedoc? The prophetic dreams, and this dreamscape she mentions of?” Thomas questioned.

     “It’s possible old friend.” The goblin responded.


     “Wait... what?” Keira asked confused, and glancing back and forth between the men.


     “It’s very possible. You see.” Maedoc took a deep breath. “Before you were born Keira, our world was much different from how it is today. When the rulers of Dorith’thia were banished, and their Kingdoms destroyed, several of the biblical scriptures from before were burned along with them. Not many of the original scriptures survived. The councilmen had managed to somehow convince the towns people that their faith was falsely placed. That Evo never existed, nor his angels, nor his demons. That our religion was based purely off the collective minds of corrupt rulers. A fear tactic to control the masses of society, to conform them into the ideal utopian society in the minds of our former leaders. There were several blasphemies committed in those days, but none of them so bad as the burning of Evo’s word. Like I said, not many copies of the biblical scriptures survived, and of those that did, well... not much of the original word was left, their pages damaged, and nearly burned to a crisp. The ironic part in all of this, was that Dorith’thia truly was a peaceful community, and that the very idea it’s people began to fear, were the very lies they decided to place their trust in. They allowed themselves to follow a path to destruction, out of the very creation of their own internal conflicts.”

  

     “But still, there has to be at least one original copy of The Book remaining? Surely someone must have kept records, or at least attempted to rewrite the original texts in hopes of restoring balance?”


     “Yes... we did hear word that one book may have possibly survived, but there are no documents as to where it could be, nor any trace of it’s true existence. The councilmen were through enough to erase most of our history, and our beliefs in the process. So yes...” the Goblin turned his gaze towards Keira. “It’s possible that your mother may be trying to tell you something without directly saying what. It’s also possible, that what you hold in your hands could be the very last and only surviving key left... to discovering the whereabouts of the ancient texts. If that’s true then I assume that your mother’s urgency to hide the book with you could only mean that she was afraid the councilmen would burn it along with the many others the decided to terminate.”

 

     “Even so Maedoc, it still doesn’t explain her last mention of “The Dreamscape”,  after these two passages.”


     “No... it doesn’t, but I do recall a time when the great leaders of our past made claim of visions. Dreams... so realistic... so surreal, that it was like the very depicting of a painting. Your mother may have been one of the those few leaders with that ablity, after all... she was one of the few most powerful leaders of her time. “

 

     “Keira.” Thomas interrupted. “Didn’t you say you had dreams... of a man...”


     “Standing behind my mother, yes.” she gazed down to the floor in thought. “The entry... Thomas you don’t think that maybe that’s what she was trying to say. No... wait... it couldn’t be... but what if...”

 

     “Maedoc, was ever even word of what happened to my mother?”

 

     “Unfortunately, no one knows.”


     “Then what if... what if my mother’s not dead after all? What if she’s... still alive? What if... she’s sending my these dreams?”

  

     “Keira!” Thomas interrupted.

  

     “No really, it makes sense! No one knows weither she’s dead or alive right?! Then what if she’s not dead! You said it yourself, she was special, one of the few most powerful wielders of her time. But What if that time isn’t over yet? What is she’s the one sending me these dreams? It would make sense as to why the dreams are getting stronger, why recently since my arrival the dreams have changed. Maybe even as to why were attacked by the sylph in the forest, and why my powers are suddenly developing wouldn’t it?! What if, after all this time she wasn’t dead after all?! If that’s true then we have to find her... we have to look for her!”

  

     “Woo! Slow down Keira!  Even if your mother is alive we can’t just up and leave on a hunt for her!” Cried Thomas.

  

     “Well why not! We have to do something!”

  

     “Keira, we have to think this out, there are several things in motion here. We can’t just up and take off on a suicide mission.”

  

     “And we can’t just sit here either!” Keira shouted in response.

  

     “Thomas is right Keira, we can plan a search for your mother, but as much as it pains me to say it, there are larger things at stack here.”

  

     “Like what?!” No seems to want to tell me anything about what’s going on, what could possibly be more important then saving the queen of the wielders?”

  

     “Do you forget child?! That you are the heir to her thrown? That she has spent a life time of keeping you safe from harm, so that maybe, if the worse to were happen their would be a savior for this kingdom after all? Would you deny your mother the victory and satisfaction of her sacrifices, for the several years she has had to endure her suffering?! Or are you quick to launch yourself under the arrows of your enemies? There are more things at work here child, do not think for one second that you are the only person who is willing to cross mountains to safe your mother. Callynndria meant more to all of us then you will ever know child, that I promise!”

  

     “I’m sorry, I just...”

  

     “No, there is no need for you to explain yourself. It is obvious as to why you would want to save your mother, but remember... you can’t always allow your emotions to overcome you, you most at all times... stay in control of them, especially as a wielder.”

  

     “So that’s it then... we will try and look for her?”

  

     “Yes, when the time is right, we will look for your mother. But it will take some time, and much planning. And as for you Ms. Keira, it will take much trust and patience on your part. But I promise you after all is said and done, if this is something that you feel so strongly about, then I can not deny you that, we will try and find your mother.” And as Maedoc spoke these last words suddenly the cottage door slammed open, and Rozlend came dashing through, his breath hard, his voice rasp, his face stricken with frozen panic.

  

     “Come quickly! It’s Phillip! Yelled Rozlend as he raced back outside to assist him.

  

     “What?!” The three yelled in unison.

  

      Keira, Thomas, and Maedoc rushed outside to see what the matter was. In the distance Rozlend had already ran to Phillip’s assistance. Sweat dripping down the young man’s face, looking as though he were about to topple over, Rozlend raced to his side, and threw Phillip’s right arm over him, taking the ranges of  his horse from his hands, and continuing to pull it himself. But on top the horse was a man, left hanging lifeless over its back, but as Rozlend pulled the horse and the Rozlend pulled the horse and exhausted men closer, the shape of this unknown man became more familiar to her.

 

     “Father?!”

 

© Copyright 2008 Nataliya Maize. All rights reserved.



© 2009 Nataliya Maize


Author's Note

Nataliya Maize
June 23 2009 - First Draft, please tell me what you think, let me know if there are any grammatical, or spelling issues. And if you think I should make any changes. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.



Featured Review

this was a great chapter! it was so well thought out and i have a feeling we need to remember things from this one for later chapters...if not thats cool 2 XP. lol I love how you write, you make me worried about things that dont even exist lol. i feel like im actually there. your characters all have there own personality and thats very hard to do. Great Job and i cant wait to read what comes next.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really enjoyed this piece for several reasons: 1. It listed things that will probably be more important later. 2. It's well though out and structured. and 3. I just enjoy fantasy books. I found no grammar or spelling errors, and to be honest there isn't any sort of criticism i can give. Well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was a great chapter! it was so well thought out and i have a feeling we need to remember things from this one for later chapters...if not thats cool 2 XP. lol I love how you write, you make me worried about things that dont even exist lol. i feel like im actually there. your characters all have there own personality and thats very hard to do. Great Job and i cant wait to read what comes next.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fantay pieces are great because there is really are endless places for the story itself to go. That is also kinda of the downfall in the market for fantasy. You are out there competing with a massive amount of other writers often with equally pervasive story lines. So what makes me remember fantasy stories is two things: the writing and the characters. Sounds simple right? But what I mean by this is that with good fantasy, and really a lot of other writing genres, the story flows along in the backround and what tugs at us and brings us in is the reaction of the characters that we come to love, hate, adore, laugh at, and cry with to what is going on around them. Obviously Tolkien is the father of modern fanasy and almost lays down the rules for how fantasy worlds live and breath but notice that all the conflicts, suprises, and turn in his works are similar to those in many other fantasy pieces. Even Tolkien's ideas derive loosely from prose that goes back through the centuries and explores the very essence of good and evil. To be sure you should keep the story in mind but more so develop a realationship with your characters and you would be suprised how the story will write itself. As far a fantasy writers go check out Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melinbone" Series. I suggest this for two reason. One is the writing has a very authentic fel to it. The words themsleves seem to share the tantered and ancient attributes of the land and people they are describing. I say this because if you ever go to a meuseum and study very old paintings on thing you will notice is that the age and authenticity permeates trhoughout the entire work, even the frame, method of binding, and smell of the old paint is a reflection of the age in which the artist created his masterpiece. Apply this to your piece, let the words ooze the ambience of the scenes, characters, and language. I know this can be hard with spoken passages but try some Shakespeare, Chaucer, and the like. Not for thepurposes of using the exact language but to just get a feel for the flow and evolution of the language. Now all this is not to say I don't like the piece, I think you have a good start here. Also the next time you are in a Barnes & Nobke or whatever browse through a couple writers that are popular and get a feel for their style. Even if yiu don't like them. For example compare Palahaniuk with Bukowski with King nd see what is different and what is similar. Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions.

- C.M

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2009
Last Updated on June 29, 2009


Author

Nataliya Maize
Nataliya Maize

Moreno Valley, CA



About
- When we were young, and life was different - Check out my websites: My Twitter: http://twitter.com/NMaize A.N.A. Twitter: http://twitter.com/anaw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..