Fire, Fog, Water

Fire, Fog, Water

A Poem by Emily Irene.
"

About my relationship with my now ex-boyfriend.

"

I reach out, rest two fingers on the bone jutting out of the side of his wrist, the one I've searched for on my own wrists to no avail. I look at his straight white teeth and remember the feeling of the sedative the dentist gave me when he tried to make mine match. I feel eyes on me when we walk, my imagination running wild with the negativity I feel everyone is throwing out.


Weeks and months slide off the calender. I show him more of me, sides I reserve for those I know I can trust. The past screams at me but when I look into his eyes music plays. I find my confidence growing. Other boys talk to me and I wonder why they're looking now. A friend tells me its because I carry myself differently, and I know she's telling me that the passion is making me hold my back straight, that the intensity is making my smile brighter. That the romance has infiltrated my body.


I spent my life looking for something but never knowing what it was. Walking through the fire, squinting through the fog. Always finding it hard to find the strength to hold my head above the waves coming my way.


Now I feel made of water:
I can put the fire out before it touches me,
slip through the fog unnoticed,
become one with the waves.

© 2015 Emily Irene.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a transformation! And that last stanza speaks particularly to that. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily Irene.

8 Years Ago

I definitely learned that with the one I wrote this about. You can show them the way but if they don.. read more
Tina

8 Years Ago

Lol. Nope. Very good lesson. Knowing that has served me well throughout the years! 😀
Emily Irene.

8 Years Ago

I'm still coming to terms with it because some people you just want to help so badly.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
1 Review
Added on August 3, 2014
Last Updated on September 15, 2015
Tags: love, beauty, survival

Author

Emily Irene.
Emily Irene.

Saint Louis, MO



About
Name's Emily and I'm 24. I am a girl made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions. I have had chronic pain for more than fifteen years. This means I have taken more narcotics .. more..

Writing