Chapter One: Convincing yourself doesn't win an argument." (Robert Half)

Chapter One: Convincing yourself doesn't win an argument." (Robert Half)

A Chapter by Dawns
"

Dawns ©

"

United Nations Head Office, New York, United States of America, 9:21am, May 11th 2036

 

As I looked over the sea of people that now sat in front of me I could not help but feel the eminence pressure that had rested itself on my shoulders. It was a daunting feeling to stand in front of every government that was still functioning in the lecture hall of the United Nations new head office. Yet I have to push this fear to the side, at least for now because it has to be done. If I do not convince these governments to stand beside me in my cause everything the human race has done will amount to nothing. I can't allow that to happen. I took a deep breath and began to speak.

 

“I remember before the war, when people still had time to do things for fun. My brother told me of a saying that came from one of the games he was playing at the time. “War- War never changes”. The person who said this, I don't think realized how true this would remain even after the human race was almost eradicated.

 

“The war that rages on today in theory is no different than the wars we fought in the past against our fellow man. Although theory is just that, a theory, it is not concrete and at times lacks certain facts. That fact it is missing is; the mentality of our enemy. In the past when all hope was lost you could always count on the off chance that your enemy’s sympathy will push aside their hatred if you surrendered, and they may allow you to live. Although this enemy lacks all emotion so it is not even a remote possibility. If we give up we will be destroyed, but not as individuals, we will be forced into extinction as a species.”

 

“We cannot afford to suffer defeat, so we will not give in to these monsters. We have to survive, and in order to do so we must endure and prosper against what threatens us. But today I stand in front of you with the belief that we have endured this threat for far too long.”

 

I gazed across the theatre making sure I locked eyes with the representative of the United States, knowing exactly how much influence his vote carried. I can't afford to fail.

 

“My fellow humans, no my brothers, and sisters, we all come from different backgrounds. Whether it is religious beliefs, geographical locations, or simply the colour of our skin, I’m asking you, no I’m begging you to cast aside these old titles and simply take the title of “Human” and weir it with pride from this day forth.”

 

“Unfortunately after 10 years of constantly defending ourselves against the infected, our food supplies are running out, are farm land is leached of all the nutrients, but worst of all our spirits are becoming brittle from living in this exile. We will not be able to survive much longer in this manner. We must Fight back against the hordes of infected, because if we do not we will become more dangerous to ourselves with disease and famine, than any siege the infected can muster up.”

 

“At this point the hordes are massive, and at the rate they are decaying at it will take five generations for them to completely disappear. We do not have that kind of time; if we don't fight back we will die.”

 

“We have lost our world in the past 10 years, but worse yet we lost what makes us human. We have lost what we knew as home, we have lost our countries, and worst of all we have lost our will to the infected. We went from being the planets dominant species to small clusters of food for the infected."

 

“It is long past due that we rise up and prosper against what has threatened to destroy us. But in order for this to happen we must first unify our great nations and act as one. If one country goes on the offensive then we all must. Otherwise each nation will slowly be overwhelmed and enveloped by the infected. So now I ask you once again to cast aside your differences as individuals and stand as one and annihilate the living dead from our planet.”

 

As I stepped off of the podium at the front of the theatre I locked eyes with the U.S representative one last time, he then smiled and stood up while applauding my speech. The crowd followed his lead and erupted into a mix of cheering and applause. Soon after they began screaming “We will stand as one and fight”.  It then began to slowly evolve into “To War! We Will Survive!” The chanting was staggered at first although as I walked back stage I couldn't help but notice it was almost perfectly unified.

 

I smiled as I saw my wife waiting for me. As I was walking towards her she stood up and smiled at me, then opened up her arms waiting patiently for the hug I had promised her. I got closer to her and I put my arms around her waist and rested my hands on her lower back.

 

As I did this she rested her head on my chest so that she could hear my heart beat. I closed my eyes and rested for a moment. It felt as if everything was finally going to be alright now that I had the world backing up my cause.

 



© 2010 Dawns


Author's Note

Dawns
Review and Rate Please!!!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yep. I'm definitely going to like this.
Like someone else said, there are some typos etc. But those can easily be ironed out. On the whole: :D

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


A great way to introduce and explain what's going on. Some typos, but that's not a big deal. The speaker voice is very clear about what's about to happen and prepares us for the whole book.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm very interested in this. I like how your thinking of a political point of view, giving some information away... but keeping it suspenseful... I wonder how the 'infected' came to be. I'm looking forward to reading more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I saw this and instantly knew I was going to love it, why? because I'm a sucker for a good post-apocalyptic book/story/whatever

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

456 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2010
Last Updated on June 26, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Dawns
Dawns

Brampton, meh, Canada



About
I'm an 18 year old male, who really enjoys writing. . . It's how I escape from reality for a wile. I know I'm not a very good writer, I would classify myself as mediocre at best, even still its someth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..