Your Happiness

Your Happiness

A Chapter by C.T. Bailey
"

My son, happiness is not a destination.

"

                            II
                  Your Happiness


I have discovered many, who always insist,
That happiness is a destination not to miss.
Often telling of a road that takes you there,
They speak of a journey filled with despair.

 

Son, these people, they are caught in a trap,
Believing in some place that’s not on a map.
Happiness, indeed, is a most worthy quest,
But it is never the prize in a vain contest.

 

In a never ending search to please their soul,
They seek to fill their heart’s “happiness hole”.
Forsaking the family with mindless spending,
On the next purchase, happiness depending.

 

Jewelry and watches are designed to impress,
Expensive suits and dresses scream “success!”
Fine cars and houses they hope will proclaim,
“We’re so happy! We’re winning the game!”

 

Just when they think that they are contented,
The neighbors next door have fully resented.
They too are seeking to fill a void in the soul,
Outspending the other, happiness their goal.

 

So my son, where can happiness be found?
Is it a destination of riches which surround?
And is there happiness in chasing after gold?
No son, listen with care as the lesson unfolds.

 

Happiness my son, is not life’s destination,
Nor will it be surrounded in golden elation.
This is may be hard for you to understand,
You must decide to be happy; it is planned.

 

You see, rather than being the end of the trip,
It is the journey that’s important not to skip.
Purposely deciding to be happy every day,
Guides the heart to satisfaction in every way.


Oh my, this is the hardest lesson to learn,
So many times to vanity I have returned,
Shoveling foolishness into a bottomless pit,
Then growing weary in life, wanting to quit.

 

There are those days when happiness evades,
Difficult people or problems seem to pervade.
Son, take it in stride, the sun will again rise,
Don’t let it sadden you when others despise.

 

So, your quest for happiness ends like this,
Happiness is a state of mind - here is bliss.
Enjoying the scenery while on life’s roads,
Will certainly lighten all of this life’s loads.

 

 

 

 



© 2008 C.T. Bailey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Purposely deciding to be happy every day,
Guides the heart to satisfaction in every way."

We all want to be happy each and every day, but how do we do it without Christ? I can't and, I know you will agree, that you can't either. Happiness is a choice, and without Him-who is the only One who can makes us happy-we are lost.
This is a great piece of work, because it is like reading a teaching book, but in a way that doesn't preach; it only speaks truth. And we all will listen to easy-to-understand truth. . .
Have I mentioned that I am enjoying this? Well, I am. It all seems to be written for me.

BLFK

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"Purposely deciding to be happy every day,
Guides the heart to satisfaction in every way."

We all want to be happy each and every day, but how do we do it without Christ? I can't and, I know you will agree, that you can't either. Happiness is a choice, and without Him-who is the only One who can makes us happy-we are lost.
This is a great piece of work, because it is like reading a teaching book, but in a way that doesn't preach; it only speaks truth. And we all will listen to easy-to-understand truth. . .
Have I mentioned that I am enjoying this? Well, I am. It all seems to be written for me.

BLFK

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have left your son very important and meaningful words. I believe we all wish our father's had done something this wonderful for us. Your boy is so blessed to have you for his dad, and you are blessed to have a son whom you can share the wisdom you have gained from life experiences, and more importantly...from the Lord. He will cherish this book, and I am sure he will pass it down for generations. I hope he cherishes as much now.. as he will when he is older because of the very valuable life lessons it will include. I liked them very much. ~Jeanne

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The apostle Paul wrote: "Those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires, which plunge men into destruction and ruin. For the love of money is the root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some....have stabbed themselves all over with many pains." (1 Timothy 6: 9-10 ) In the pursuit of money, people cheat, lie, steal, prostitute themselves, and even commit murder.The result is a person stabbed with emotional, physical, and spiritual pains because of trying to grasp and hold on to riches. Does this sound like the road to happiness ? Hardly !

True happiness cannot be achieved apart from obedience to God. And you're right in saying that happiness does not find it's source in amassing material wealth or power. Jesus said, "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving."(Acts 20: 35 ) The things that contribute to true happiness are knowledge of God, wisdom from him, and even his correction and discipline (Pr 2: 6 ; 3:13,18; Ps 94:12) The truly happy person trusts in God ( Pr16:20 ) delights in and walks in his law (Ps 1:1,2 ; 12:1) observes justice(Ps 106 : 3 ) and fears God ( Ps 128 : 1 )

All the happiness promised in the Bible are contingent upon a right relationship with God, all of them are realized on the basis of love of God and faithful service to him.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 16, 2008
Last Updated on August 16, 2008


Author

C.T. Bailey
C.T. Bailey

Bristol, VA



About
C.T. Bailey has authored a number of professional articles which have been published in various industry trade publications. He is also an award-winning and published writer of poetry, prose, and fic.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Your Faith Your Faith

A Chapter by C.T. Bailey


Why me? Why me?

A Story by C.T. Bailey


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by C.T. Bailey


Your Friends Your Friends

A Chapter by C.T. Bailey