Fairest Sarah

Fairest Sarah

A Poem by C.T. Bailey
"

A familiar rhetorical situation done in the English Sonnet form.

"

Tis with gentle care I wipe thy brow;

Oh, fairest Sarah with thy auburn hair;

The fever callest thee to fulfill our vows;

On this cold winter’s day - my soul despairs.

 

Why, oh why God dost thou chasten?

Does not thy Holy Word declare

How for thine own thy peace ye hasten;

And for the same all burdens to bear?

 

Be still my bride, our vow twill ne’er break;

This chalice is filled with winter’s solace;

From the bitter tree an elixir thou makes;

Close thine eyes - join in eternal embrace.

 

On a cold winter’s day �" no more despair;

Oh, fairest Sarah with thy auburn hair.

 

© 2010 C.T. Bailey


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is certainly a departure, and an interesting one, into the medieval, perhaps Elizabethan world. The message is filled with an agony of questioning. To hold steadfast to the vows of marriage, or to escape into suicide together via the 'bitter elixir' in the chalice. The reiteration of 'winter' tends to indicate the end of life, advancing age, and despite remaining steadfast to your vows, you question God's promise to take on your burdens, relieve perhaps, your failures. Sad and introspective, one fears that the escape into 'eternal embrace' would be a capitulation, and a denial of life.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is amazing, I agree with J mil down there lol, because he writes me poems all the time lol :D this is soooo amazing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great sonnet! I find it slightly weird though, because I love to write English sonnets myself, and my greatest muse is named Sarah. Anyways, I loved this piece!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow a very haunting piece that asks Job like questions. This is a very interesting read. The writer stands at a crossroads having to decide whether to trust his maker or to play the role of God. I enjoyed this poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Haunting.
I'm fascinated by the references to Sarah's hair color. It suggests one of two possibilities: that the couple is young and parted prematurely or that despite their ages the speaker sees her in his mind as the woman he married when they were young. Read with either interpretation, it's a heart-rending poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Do I deduce correctly from the word "join" in the third stanza that he intends to kill Sarah and then himself?
Is this the consummate act of love, or is he being selfish, sparing himself the pain of living without her, the pain of watching her die slowly?
You have painted a very Poe-esque scenario here, Todd, that in a few brief lines stirs a whole gamut of complex emotions. Truly a masterwork. Well Done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful sonnet indeed. Old world romanticism at it's very best.
Bravo, I enjoyed this immensely! ~ Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


I can't imagine how this would be if written in another style .. there's something traditionally sound and real here, a devotion of heart and spirit and, that's just not found in modern language.

This is beautiful in every way; I'm delighted to have had it recommended by Rick Puetter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A gray and grainy write that left a mark of sadness upon this soul. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Though I am unfamiliar with the structure of English sonnets, this is a beautiful, moving poem so filled with both tenderness and sorrow. You have such a gift with your words, to touch hearts in such a way as this.

Albert Camus: "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer"






Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Way to use the form. Beautifully written. The emotion is weaved in with flawless tact and dashing poetic prowess. I truly enjoyed the read.

Cheers!
FF

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

909 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 24, 2009
Last Updated on February 20, 2010

Author

C.T. Bailey
C.T. Bailey

Bristol, VA



About
C.T. Bailey has authored a number of professional articles which have been published in various industry trade publications. He is also an award-winning and published writer of poetry, prose, and fic.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..