Writing exercise

Writing exercise

A Story by T. F. Rice
"

Nov. 07 writing exercise from The Other Herald

"

 

WRITING IN THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER:

 

            Writers must remember that their writing may serve different purposes. Not everything is fit for public reading, nor should it be; that may not be its purpose. The feeling of having purpose is important, for a writer at any age.

 

            Writing down what is bothering you, for example, can be very therapeutic. Teenagers write about what is important to them; that writing is a stepping stone to future writings which may have more of an audience. A person is not meant to write like a nationally-published poet at first try!

 

            Adults may write journals about their lives, especially after retirement; they should not need the smile of a publisher to feel validated. Family stories are so often sadly lost. Put those jokes in the kids’ lunch-boxes! Write a letter; write love notes; begin an article for the local paper; make up your own bedtime stories; start a family memory book…

 

            Writing for the self is as important as writing for others! Appreciate the type of writing that you are able to do at this time. Try a new one if you like…but don’t chastise yourself for lack of comparable performance. If you are drawn to the craft of writing, feel compelled to pick up that pen or pencil, do so with enjoyment. Who said you must share?

 

Orig publ in Nov 07 issue of The Other Herald

© 2008 T. F. Rice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's a good point. I think too often we write with a particular audience in mind. Sometimes it's necessary to just... write!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
1 Review
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

T. F. Rice
T. F. Rice

Wyoming County, NY



About
T. F. Rice lives with her husband and their teenage son in a small town in New York state in the U.S. She also lives with her creative clutter -- she presses flowers for making candles and cards, recy.. more..

Writing