Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Tabor
"

The last match of the Earth trials.

"

I entered the arena and surveyed the area around me. The arena was large and gray and the arena floor itself was bigger than most of the other arena floors seeing as how this was the match that decided the final four. It was filled with wooden and stone pillars and blocks all throughout the floor. It was big, but not near as big as the arenas used in the Tournament itself. All around the arena were the stands which seated at least three thousand cheering fans. I was sickened by how they could get so much pleasure from such death and chaos. I look behind me just as the metal doors slammed and locked the tunnel through which I had entered. I tensed up a little, there was no turning back now. Not that the thought would ever cross my mind anyway. I had to make it into the final four of the Earth contestants. That was the only way I could be sent to compete in The Tournament. A large gathering of sixty-four fighters from twelve planets. The winner received a lifetime of riches, while the loser, ceased to exist.


The Tournament was an annual event put on by the Watchers. The Watchers were the only form of government the universe seemed to obtain, unfortunately. It all started here on Earth, fifty years ago, in the year 3007. The “War to End all Wars” had wiped out most of the planet leaving a group of corrupted officials behind to take control. They called themselves the Watchers and immediately started recruiting soldiers and wiping out any resistance. Eventually, no one resisted, because the Watchers became our only link to life. The only people who could give us food, water, and shelter. So the entire planet finally had to give into their tyrannical reign. After awhile, Earth wasn't enough for the Watchers. They eventually started raiding other planets, cutting off their essential supplies, and forcing the inhabitants to bend to their will. Now, every year the Watchers put on The Tournament to entertain the masses. At first, the races and people resisted watching such horrible and violent things. Just like the Watchers themselves, however, the populations started to enjoy the violence and eventually enjoy the Watchers all together. Now virtually no one resists the Watchers, there is no point, they would only die.


I, however, still had some morals in me. I was once an assassin for the Watchers. I thought that the people they sent me to kill all over the galaxy were people who were threatening our way of life. I was wrong. I was killing innocent men and women and getting paid for it. Without trying to show my disgust, I respectfully resigned as quick as I could. Little did I know that the Watchers would cut off any income I was receiving and they sent me exactly zero benefits. I tried finding another job, but all I was good at was killing people. Then I met my wife, Mary, and everything started to get better. We were able to afford a small apartment with her job as a nurse. However, nothing and no one stayed happy in these years, something always went wrong. My wife contracted a disease, a disease that she is going to die from within two years without proper medical treatment, but we can't afford the cost of the treatment. I tried getting my job back as an assassin, but the Watchers laughed in my face saying, “You are the one that wanted out. Your request was granted. Now get out of our sight.” I was so infuriated. Now the only option to save the love of my life, is to kill these men and women. I have been working my way hard through the Earth trials and this was the final battle. I had to win.


On the other side of the arena stood my opponent. We both eyed each other down and examined each others' strengths and weaknesses. He was shorter than I, but stronger. From what I had seen he liked to use his strength as his main weapon. I, however, was trained to be fast and calculating. We were polar opposites, even in our looks. My messy brown hair hung in front of my hazel eyes as I glared at the man. He had short blond hair and the cut clearly gave away the fact that he was a former Handler, the Watchers' soldiers. He glared right back with piercing blue eyes. We both wore the Earth trials uniform: a blue t-shirt with green pants and tough brown boots. I took a deep breath in and out and tried to focus my thoughts. It was almost time.

Right on cue, the announcer's voice boomed over the loud speaker. “Ladies and Gentleman. Welcome to the final match of the Earth trials! The winner of this match will join our other three champions, to be the four Earth contestants in The Tournament!.” The crowd roared over and I can barely hear myself think. The announcer continued, “Let's get on with it then! Our first competitor is a former Handler,” at this the other Handlers in the audience let out their battle cry accompanied by my opponent. “He stands at 5' 10”, but don't let his height fool you. He contains over 230 pounds of pure muscle. He's strong, he's vicious, he's Ivan Ranger!” The crowd, especially the Handlers, roared and cheered as Ivan raised his fists in the air, soaking in the attention. “Our next competitor is a mysterious man. He stands at six feet tall exactly and weighs approximately 210 pounds. We've seen his speed and we've seen his determination. Now let's see if he can beat our Handler, he's Ryder Fort.” The crowd cheered for me as well, but I stayed motionless, focused, and ready to fight. “Now, since this is the last match we thought we would make it more interesting to our viewers. For the first three minutes of the match we will not drop any weapons into the arena. Leaving our two competitors to fight man to man, mono y mono!” The audience let out various oohs and aahs, I was unprepared for the rule change, but I wasn't going to let it alter my focus. The announcer continued, “Ladies and Gentleman, are you ready?” The crowd boomed with excitement. “Then let's fight!” After a moment, the gong sounded.


Ivan was the first to move, he sprinted at me full force from across the arena, weaving in and out of the pillars and blocks. I stayed, unmoving, waiting for him to approach me. He quickly made up the space in between us and once he reached me he lowered his shoulder attempting to slam me into the metal doors. I easily sidestepped his charge and brought my elbow down hard on his spine. I heard the man grunt, but he turned to face me, rage in his eyes. I readied my feet and body for his next attack. Ivan jumped in the air, fist held high, and brought the fist down towards my head. I managed to dodge the blow to the head, but his fist was fast and still skated down my rib cage. I sidestepped to the left and held my right side for only a moment. I threw my left leg in the air and smashed my boot against the right side of Ivan's face. The kick spun him full circle and appeared to disorient him, so I rushed forward and jumped in the air to kick the sternum of the man. I was wrong, however, Ivan had planned for me to attack. He grabbed my leg midair and, using my momentum, threw me against a large wooden pillar smashing it against the ribs on my right side. I screamed out in pain, one of my ribs cracked, being weakened by two forceful blows. I instinctively kicked upwards with my left foot and luckily landed a blow on Ivan's jaw, he let my leg go and I scooted backwards and stood grasping my right side. I couldn't let him attack my right side anymore, I would surely feint if anymore of my ribs cracked. Ivan knew he had dealt some damage and he let out a twisted smirk. I could barely stand straight with my side hurting so bad, but I fought through the pain. Ivan charged forward and kicked in the air, both feet aiming for my head. I saw an opportunity and took it. I moved to the side and brought my elbow down as hard as I could. I had timed it perfectly, my elbow slammed against his left knee, dislocating it with an audible pop. Apparently, the audience heard the blow too because they let out winces of pain. Ivan screamed into the air as he landed on his back and quickly brought his knee up to his chest.


I took the break in the battle to regain my composure and shut off the pain from my ribs as best I could. When I turned back, Ivan was already on his feet. He could not put much weight on his knee, but I had respect for the man that he was even able to stand. We stood their glaring at each other for what seemed like eternity. Then, without hesitation, Ivan jumped forward and tackled me to the ground. Immediately he began jabbing his fist into my rib cage over and over again. I screamed aloud, the pain was unbearable. I tried pushing him off, but I couldn't even think. One rib snapped, then another. The crowd was roaring, I thought this was the end. Then from the cages at the top of the arena, dropped the weapons. This momentarily distracted Ivan, and with all my might I thrust my fist into his jaw. Ivan flew off with a grunt and I stood shrieking in pain. I quickly looked to where the weapons had fallen. They were in the middle of the arena, right behind a long stone block. I began to hobble over there as fast as I could. I heard Ivan's feet pounding after me and as soon as I reached the stone block I dove over it. Ivan launched himself over me and landed a few yards ahead. I quickly grabbed two long daggers, my weapons of choice, and rose to my feet. My ribs were begging for my attention, but I shut them up and ignored the pain. Ahead of me Ivan had picked up a giant hammer and was raising it in the air, screaming and the crowed roared in return. I maneuvered the flat side of the daggers against my forearms, the technique I had be trained with. Ivan took a few steps forward and swung the hammer towards my ribs. I quickly jumped back, my side screaming all the way. The momentum of the hammer carried Ivan into a complete circle before he stopped.

That was my opening. That was my chance to win.


I let out a small smile, which irritated the man. Ivan swung the hammer again with rage in his voice. I jumped back again, but this time as soon as the hammer passed by me, I jumped forward. My timing was spot on, when I reached Ivan the momentum of the giant hammer had caused him to turn his back to me. With all the force I had in me, I thrust the daggers into the sides of Ivan's neck diagonally towards his sternum. The momentum of the hammer was still carrying Ivan, and me, so Ivan kept spinning and we both landed on the ground, him on top of me.


There was a moment of silence as blood poured from Ivan's neck and onto my face. I quickly pushed him off, wiped the blood from my eyes, and stood ready for his attack. When I looked into Ivan's face, his eyes were wide open, his jaw dropped. The daggers were still in his neck, and under his skin you could see their edges forming an X across his chest. I stood over the body breathing heavily. After what seemed like hours of silence. The crowd stood and roared, chanting my name. Ryder Fort. I had won.



© 2011 Tabor


Author's Note

Tabor
Please Read and Review. But mostly, Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i like the idea, its pretty cool! keep coming with more! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
1 Review
Added on March 16, 2011
Last Updated on March 16, 2011


Author

Tabor
Tabor

About
I have always loved writing stories. However, I know that my writing could use massive improvement. I am hoping this site will help. more..

Writing
The Tournament The Tournament

A Book by Tabor