Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Tandom
"

Quick explanation of who some people are and what is going on.

"

“What is it about GARLA that the world has adopted its system? What makes Freth Academics thrive in our world?”


“Our need to keep this world alive. GARLA allows its students to try and solve this mystery around why our planet is the way it is. If one child in the world can figure it out, we have to give those children an opportunity to make a statement.”- What is GARLA with Owen Freth

 


A boy presses down on a button starting what the system calls a recording. The point of this is to have the participant reflect on their accomplishments and failures after their run of a simulation. “I don’t get this. Mom asked me to speak into this and I haven’t even entered the simulation. What am I supposed to talk about without a run to help me?”


“It is your first recording. Try talking about yourself this time.” A woman’s voice projects softly into the microphone.


“I guess I could.” The boy stops before taking a breath. “My name is Xavier Dergs. I am 6 and a half with no simulations runs to count. They say I could have entered GARLA this year if I wanted to. I said no because my friends couldn’t join me. Their families didn’t have the money for them to participate.


“My parents work for a big business company and write songs when they have time away from work. We always go to the park where they perform their latest songs to whoever is around. Those days are the only times I’m close to my parents.


“They also help out the people don’t have homes. My friends don’t understand why we go to places and help people out like that. Dad says it will take some time for them to see why.


“Today mom and I are going to the park so I can play with my friends. It is usually cold so mom will probably make me put on a jacket. Hopefully they can come over before karate tonight.” �" Recording #1, Xavier Dergs, no simulation.


The day is October 18th, 2115. This world is in a predicament that began 140 years ago. Their planet is slowly losing heat with each year that passes. Citizens spend their days at work or in their homes trying to stay warm. There is a worldwide curfew that everyone has to follow. The government made this so that each child that can participate in Freth Academics GARLA simulation can stay safe for their next, or debut, simulation.


There are some who live their lives the way their ancestors did before this phenomenon started. Families like Xavier’s who journey outside and do their daily routine whether it is freezing or unbearable. “Aren’t you going to get sick out there?” People ask to those who live this way.


“Then we’ll see a doctor and get fixed up.” Is the response each adult gives to the asker.


Xavier’s mom stops on the side of the road waiting for him to jump out and run to his friends. The door flies open and Xavier comes out sprinting to a tree in the middle of the park. His friends, Steven and Drew, are already climbing around above him. Steven wears a green jacket with a character holding a twin blade weapon shaped like leaves. Drew wears an orange jacket with the character Omega Man on the front.


“You started without me?” Xavier asks to his friends above. They both stop on the branches they are on and look down at him.


“You got here late. We have to keep moving if we don’t want to freeze.” Steven replies continuing to climb higher up the tree. The three laughed as Xavier climbed up the tree to reach them. The wind blew every now and then shaking the branches.


They finally reached the top of the tree for the first time. Xavier bragged about how he was faster than his friends. The three settled down on some of the branches. “What do you think it is like?” Steven asks out of nowhere. Drew and Xavier both turn their heads towards Steven. “In the simulation I mean.”


“Maybe it is like living out here, just shorter.” Drew says. He watches as his parents struggle to keep their home and raise money to send him into GARLA.

 


“Victoria here! I just finished my 12th run of the simulation. Sadly, it had to be my last time inside. Since I turned 18 while I was inside, they let me finish this one fully. Some of the citizens in the city said they would try to fight for me to enter again. They think I’m close to saving this planet. All of my recordings say otherwise to me.


“My guardian says they have a job for me being able to pick who I think has the potential to figure it all out. He also says we can still talk to each other if I accept the job from Owen himself. But I have my eyes on one kid. We both know who that is, yet I’m not allowed to see him. I will find that boy, Mr. Freth. And when he solves our problems, you’re going to apologize for not letting me bring him in further.” �" Recording #11, Victoria Urala, Finished Simulations.


Owen Freth lived on the top floor of Freth Academics HQ. From here, he sat and watched the progress of every supported participant in the simulation. A couple years ago he took an interest in Victoria after the entire population chose to view her each week out of the billions who were available.


Freth Academics wasn’t always around when the world first noticed their planet was slowly freezing. It all began 100 years ago when a man named Brett Freth revealed he had a program to project a world where humans can learn and retry life from birth to death. Over time, the school system was shutdown to give more room for people to enter this world, named GARLA.


The door to Owen’s office opens. A woman, in this company’s acceptable business attire, came through holding a tablet. “The programming team has the codes for the new add-on ready. Do you with for them to continue?” She asks holding a finger above a button on her screen.


Owen turns away from a window to face her. “Yes, Heather. Tell them to begin.” She taps her screen and Owen’s computer monitor turns on. It shows a boy and his friends on a tree they climb every day they are at the park.


“We have been monitoring the progress of Xavier like you asked, sir. He has exceeded the expectations of our predictions with how fast he processes information. A normal child his age processes this kind of information at half the speed he does.” Heather informs. Three manila folders sit on the desk in front of them. Each one has a name, a picture of them, a birth certificate, their location of residence, and their parents’ names. There was one for Xavier Dergs, Caitlyn Bredford, and Matt. Xavier’s was left open.


“Shall we begin monitoring this one, sir?” Heather asks. Owen’s screen changes to show a boy sitting on a bed.


“Wait on this one. He’s just a back-up in case the other two fail.” Owen replies. Heather leaves without another word and the room goes back to silence. A new file pops up on the screen over the boy. It was an audio file from a few hours ago.


Owen presses play and listens to Victoria ‘s final recording, chuckling at the part she says he will apologize to her later. “You cannot find him without me, Miss Urala. How will you know where to start looking without my help?” He turns back to the window and looks down at the park below him. Three children could be seen running around as if they were chasing each other. “It didn’t occur to you that maybe he was closer to you than you thought. Having not seen the outside world for 12 years must be hard on someone like yourself.”


The recording replays as Victoria walks in. The two of them stand silently as the audio plays. Once it ends, Owen turns his head slightly to see her in the corner of his eye. “Did you make a decision yet? Trey insists I hire you before anyone else tries to claim you.” Trey was Victoria’s guardian. She would say he was more of a father than a guardian.


“We’ll see. You already know what I want.” Victoria walks closer to Owen’s desk. Her heels clicking with each step. “Where is he?” She asks forcefully. Her eyes peer down to see two manila folders. “Who are they?”


“No one you need to concern yourself with. I believe you are looking for this one though.” Owen reveals another folder in his right hand to Victoria. He grinned as he watched her face change. “Now, about that job I have for you.”



© 2017 Tandom


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on February 13, 2017
Last Updated on February 13, 2017
Tags: Angel of GARLA, Xavier, Owen, Victoria, simulation, extinction, chapter 1


Author

Tandom
Tandom

MA



About
I'm sort of bouncing off different ideas that just suddenly come to mind. I don't know what I'll be able to write once college starts up, but I'll try to finish what I start more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Tandom