Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Tandom

“Can you reveal your latest changes to GARLA to the public, Mr. Freth? The people are dying to know what is in store for them in the near, and hopefully, lively future.”


“All my team will say is that our changes are not things to get that excited about. It is, most of the time, theories they conjure up for us to randomly select a participant to ‘come up with’ in GARLA. There is nothing spectacular to get excited about.”


“What about the gambling system your company has tried before? Will that system make a return soon?”


“My team has contemplated the idea of bringing the gambling system back from the drawing board. Brett always wanted his vision the way he made it. That meant there was going to be no gambling. Now that he has passed, rest his soul, it could make an appearance in the coming years.”- Changes to GARLA with Owen Freth



“Why is it that I learn faster than everyone else? The other day at karate, the other children my age were at a lower belt level than me. Sensei says that I can perfect something faster than a normal child. Mom says I was born lucky to have a smart brain.


“Today we are getting a new student that is from the South. The normal temperature there is warmer than here. I can’t imagine moving North after living down there.


“Mom is bringing me to the park again today to see Steven and Drew, my friends. Dad said he was going to come today. He got a day off from work it seems. Hopefully the new student is there as well. Maybe I can make a new friend.” �" Recording #2, Xavier Dergs, no simulation.


The temperature had not risen since the last time Xavier saw his friends. His parents still had him wear a jacket like always. The boys didn’t end up climbing the tree like they normally do. Xavier was going for his next belt tonight and he didn’t want to wear himself out before then. Instead, they walked around and talked about a video game they played at home. Their parents got together and were having a conversation themselves.


A fountain sat to the northern-most part of the park, in front of an entrance. Drew noticed a woman was standing in front of the fountain looking down into it. He ran up next to her and searched for what she was looking at. The woman said something making Drew look up, confused. Looking back at Xavier and Steven, he said something to her that was not audible to them.


Steven was surprised to see who the woman was as she turned towards them. “Who’s she?” Xavier asked. He did not pay attention to anyone that was on the TV unless it was Owen with a new announcement or interview.


“That’s Victoria Urala. She finished GARLA a few months ago with the best grades. Plus, she was also the closest participant to figure out a way to save the planet in 50 years.” Victoria smiled at Xavier as she grew closer to the two boys. Her hair kept blowing in her face as the wind blew.


“It’s nice to finally meet you after all this time.” Were the first words out of her mouth. “I’m Victoria.” She reached out her hand towards Xavier. He grabbed it with his hand and shook.


“Is there something you need from me?” He asked her. Victoria giggled.


“I’ve just been keeping an eye on you. The speed you process information has intrigued me the three times I heard about you.” Xavier was confused. He was just a normal boy according to him and his friends. Why would anyone but them know much about him? “Now that I’m 18, Owen, I mean Freth Academics, has asked that I look for children to join them. Hopefully you start soon!” And with that, she was off.


The boys decided to keep walking until their parents were ready to leave. They walked close to a group of older boys who were gathering near a tree. As they reached the group, a girl could be seen leaned up against the tree.


“Well we haven’t seen you around, so your parents must have money to spare.” one of them said. Xavier questioned to himself what was going on over there.


“They don’t have that kind of money!” the girl yelled. “You have the wrong idea why we had to move.” Then the biggest boy punched the tree next to her head. The girl did not move her head, but her eyes widened.


“Just do as we say and I won’t have to hurt you. That’s how it works here unlike your small town in the south.” Xavier and his friends watched as the boy readied his fist again. Were they going to allow this to happen as they watched?


Xavier quickly ran over and took the hit for this girl. He knew he could take it and continue to fight. He didn’t know if she could though. “And who are you?” the boy punching asked.


Xavier shook off the pain and looked behind him at the girl. “Are you okay?” he asked. The girl nodded and got out of the way. He turned his head back at the boy with fire in his eyes. “And who are you?” he asked.


“None of your business kid. We were trying to have a conversation with that girl.” The boy answered, readying his fist for a third time. Xavier didn’t like using what he learned in karate outside of karate. The boy started to punch Xavier but missed as he moved out of the way. The boy kept going with every strike being a miss.


“What is your deal?” the boy yelled furiously. “If you’re going to fight back, try to already!” Xavier smirked at that. He was being predictable with every move he did. There was not a reason for him to try.


As the boy moved his fist again to punch Xavier. He too was going for a punch, but also started a kick in case his fist didn’t make it. Xavier’s foot reached the boy’s shin just in time before his fist reached Xavier’s face. “Oh! So now that you decide to do something, it’s something dirty?” The boy got up and started towards his buddies. “Next time I’ll beat you to a pulp.” the boy says before leaving.


Steven and Drew are with the girl near the tree that they climb. They jump up to their feet when they notice Xavier coming their way. “What happens now?” Drew asks. Xavier looks at the girl who is sitting against the bottom of the tree.


“I guess that depends on you, doesn’t it?” he says keeping eye contact only with her. She stands up and looks around at the three boys standing around her. “Don’t worry! We aren’t here to hurt you like them.”


The girl looks over to the right where two adults are looking their way. She nods and looks back at Xavier. “I should get going. My parents need me.” She says after a while. She starts to walk until Xavier grabs her arm.


“Can you tell us your name?” he asks. The girl looks back at the two adults then to Xavier.


“Caitlyn.” She says softly. Xavier smiles and lets go of her. “And who are you?” Caitlyn asks looking at all three of the boys.


“I’m Xavier, to my left is Steven, and to my right is Drew.” Xavier points at the two as he says their names. They both smile as she processes their names.

 


“I think we should consider bringing him in here ourselves. I know how much you’ve monitored him the past four years. If you would just-” Victoria suddenly stops as Owen glares up at her. They have been arguing over the past three months after she reluctantly ran into him at the park he assigned her that day.


“We cannot force a child like him into the system for free. Remember what I told you about the last participant we accepted without fees?” Owen pulls up a document on his computer of a boy he was the guardian for when he first became the head of the company. “I will not let another one of him waste our time. If Xavier wants to save our world himself, he’ll come to us on his own accord.”


Victoria snarled inside her head as he finished. She knew something about Xavier Owen had not realized yet. Maybe if he knew about his friends’ dilemma…


“I talked to Xavier before.” She blurts out. Owen slams his hands on his desk and stands on his feet. “He will not apply unless something else happens first.”


“How did you find him?” Owen yells furiously. Victoria doesn’t move as she got used to his temper on these matters over the months.


“That park you told me to check out. Him and his friends were there that day. And I’m glad he was there that day. I observed something that might intrigue you about how he thinks.” Owen lifted his eyebrow at her. How was there something he did not know about Xavier. They had cameras on him for the past 4 years.


“He won’t do anything if it means leaving his friends. The two boys he talks to asked him that once while I was there.” Owen was indeed intrigued by what Victoria had to say. They could not hear anything that was recorded on the cameras. The only audio he had of Xavier were the two recordings he made.


Owen sat down in his chair again. He had to think about why his friends could not apply themselves. “They are poor, Owen. That is what you wanted to know, right?” Victoria smirked as Owen questioned with his eyes how she did the things she did.


“What do you suggest we do about Xavier’s friends then?” Owen asks. He already knew he wouldn’t like the answer.

Victoria sat down in one of the chairs in front of Owen’s desk. “I know you’re going to hate me for this.”

 


Steven, Drew, and Caitlyn were all in Xavier’s bedroom with him. Today was his birthday and they always stayed the night when it was someone’s birthday. Those were the only days they went to one another’s house.


“So now that you are seven, will you apply for GARLA?” Caitlyn asks. She didn’t know yet about the deal with Drew and Steven they made together. There was no way they were going to separate from each other. They decided there was no other people they wanted to be friends with if it meant losing the other two.


“Maybe if these two suddenly said they were. Otherwise, I can deal with not going into there.” Xavier says. There is a knock on the door. Xavier’s mom opens it and holds a phone close to her ear.


“There’s a message for Drew and Steven, honey.” She says. The two look up in wonder of who would leave them a message here. “Freth Academics chose to give you two free access into GARLA as long as Xavier and Caitlyn are with you.” she says. Everyone’s eyes widened.


“Are you sure that isn’t a prank mom. They don’t give out free access into GARLA, even with rules like you said how Caitlyn and I had to also be there.” The two boys jumped up with joy at the sound of them being able to go into GARLA. Xavier was still curious.


His mom walked further into his room and handed him the phone. “He wants to talk to you.” is all she says before leaving him with the phone. Xavier hesitantly places the phone next to his ear and listens for another voice.


“Hello?” he says. A man says something mumbled on the other side. “Um, is someone there?”


The man on the other side hears him. “Sorry about that, Xavier. My assistant wanted to inform me about the message as I was expecting you.” he says. “It is a pleasure to hear your voice.”

Xavier starts to feel uncomfortable as he listens to the man. They haven’t even met and already he is being treated differently through conversation. “I’m sorry?” The man on the other side chuckles.


“Forgive me. You are probably unaware of why I asked to speak with you. All you need to know is that your friends are welcome to join us if you are there with them. We want you to join us.”


“Why? Why do you want me specifically?” Xavier asks, getting nervous.


“Because I’m interested in the way you think, Xavier. And I don’t want you to hold back on me.”



© 2017 Tandom


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on February 17, 2017
Last Updated on February 17, 2017
Tags: Angel of GARLA, Xavier, Owen, Victoria, simulation, extinction, chapter 2


Author

Tandom
Tandom

MA



About
I'm sort of bouncing off different ideas that just suddenly come to mind. I don't know what I'll be able to write once college starts up, but I'll try to finish what I start more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Tandom