Path Of Reckoning

Path Of Reckoning

A Poem by Tania Leigh
"

Which path will you be on?

"

The November moon casts a cold silver glow o’er the ancient burial ground far below as midnight mist snakes around old ashen gravestones settled in the ground and badly decayed by each winter’s wrath –it is here that I spy a peculiar path marked by a menacing oak tree; its scraggly dead branches beckon to me like the bone-thin fingers of a timeworn woman. My name is carried to me on the wind, whispered by an unknown entity, telling me it’s here that my journey begins…

 

Fear grips my heart when I pass the great oak, and a legion of others mimic Death’s dark cloak; I tread past them nervously, aware of every step I gain and squint my eyes when I realize the cold November rain has stolen the moonlight from the sky and cursed me with icy shards of pain. I draw my collar up ‘round my neck, driven by instinct to protect myself from the unkind elements; I increase my pace and regretfully lament my unfortunate choice to give in to curiosity – I’m now quite certain evil waits for me. I silently plead to the powers that be to keep me safe from unseen enemies.

 

Smugly perched in the oaks up high are the resident ravens with their judging eyes. I trace their gaze and gasp in fright, for the head of the path has disappeared into the night! With my only means of escape now gone, I swallow hard and continue on. My thoughts are racing wildly and the damned ravens’ eyes are mocking me! The wind carries with it a terrifying tale but I refuse to believe that somewhere in my life I failed. Unwillingly I’m drawn to that which is beckoning; judgment day has come for me, and tonight’s the time for reckoning.

 

I trudge this path owned by Fate and my life’s regrets come haunting me: the wasted years and countless tears -- the movie in my mind plays dauntingly. Promises broken, words not spoken, trusts betrayed and enemies made, anger displayed, bad ways I’d behaved -- my past will not cease taunting me. My head hangs low all the while I go because I suddenly know where my journey ends…the air is drier from the heat of raging fire; my journey is over and I’m abound with dread. I know it’s my time but I am horrified to find that the entire time I walked……..I was already dead.

 

© 2008 Tania Leigh


Author's Note

Tania Leigh
Another write inspired by the photo....and ravens....and weather....and.........

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thanks for the request I enjoyed reading this. You really made the most of the imagery and language. I especially liked the second and third stanza. My reading read up as the narrator's thoughts raced and I could sense the feeling of frightful urgency. Very good. NH

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a real nice picture to get the inspirations from. I don't know why, but it reminded me of "The Sixth Sense" in some ways, even at the end of the story.

Other than that, it's all still good here...


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sounds to me like someone had lived a normal day-to-day life, normal mistakes, normal regrets and all that. Yet, at the end, when it's shoved in our face all at once, we're overwhelmed and think badly of ourselves. However, we shouldn't be that hard on ourselves, you know?

I really like the lines: "My name is carried to me on the wind, whispered by an unknown entity, telling me it�s here that my journey begins"
"I silently plead to the powers that be to keep me safe from unseen enemies."

I like the way they flow and sound.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent! Stunningly vivid descriptions; a pulse and a beat pulsed to perfection.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is reminescent of Edgar Allen Poe! And awesomely written. I love the description of the surroundings and the feelings this is a wonderful expression of creativity and its macabre without being gruesome such a wonderful story- well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is amazing and very interesting...

The whole time I was reading this I was getting an image of something like an independent film, with a narrator saying the words as there acted out.

Good job, Keep it up :]


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm with Robert Luna on this. This was awesome. You've most likely heard this a million times already, but this reminds me very closely to Edgar Allen Poe. It tells a story with eloquent imagery and it has a fast poetic meter that makes it good to read. The dark symbols were chosen greatly. There were too many favorite lines to list as each word in this poem was chosen carefully, but this was a powerful image for me:

"I realize the cold November rain has stolen the moonlight from the sky and cursed me with icy shards of pain."

As was this:

Smugly perched in the oaks up high are the resident ravens with their judging eyes

I also liked the twist at the end. Good job.
Come to think of it, this also makes me think of a song by Tiger Army called "Incorporeal".


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the darkness of this piece felt kind of like coming home to a place that felt inviting and alluring to the depth of familiarity of my thoughts. This reminded me of one of my pieces called Styx and I think your imagination really shined in this piece. You are always a pleasure to read.


Great Job!!!!!

There I stand blindfolded and gagged
Awakening in a nightmare land
Pennies drop from off my eyes
That I must use to pay for my ride
I await my turn as desires burn
My mind racing in anticipation
What awaits me is not clear
Yet I have no fears

Upon the banks of the river Styx
I watch steel-eyed beast
Emerge from out of the mist
Murders of crows
Take residence among the trees
In wait to devour any soul that finds no peace
Echoes of thunderous silences could only be heard
As boats rowed a shore
Shrouds of dark figures appear
Eyes of black brunt coal
Peer into my very soul
Seeing I wear no shame in these eyes
For the past that I can't deny
Knowing I would rather end my life
Than fall on bend knee and plead
Voices cracked leaving tracks
Among wisps of whispering winds
"A pound of flesh you shall pay
The toll to go my way"
Knife made of skeleton bone
Thrown there at my feet
I feel myself sink, drowning in the earthly ground
I quickly retrieve this ..this
Thing that will set me free

Evil grin sat upon its face
Expecting me to hesitate
With angry fists I slit
Down to ribs exposed
Now it knows
My heart has no home
Fear is nothing I have ever known
Once again it grins
Sending back
To live
In the land of my sins


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW!!!!!!! It was amazing! I'm very impressed... I love the ending to it... I could really feel the fright and everything... GREAT JOB!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Remarkable writing ....... you have a superb talent ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is so really well written. Excellent word choices gave this piece a pulse.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

758 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 20, 2008
Last Updated on February 20, 2008

Author

Tania Leigh
Tania Leigh

NH



About
4/7/08 When my "Phobia" contest is completed April 18th, and winners have been chosen and notified, I'll be leaving the cafe indefinitely to focus on my family, as well as my first book and website. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Finally Finally

A Poem by Natalie C