Preface

Preface

A Chapter by WhatTact
"

In which the narrator tells of a singular event that shaped her future before she could comprehend what was to come ahead and foreshadows events to come.

"
     It's hard for me to tell where reality ends and the fantasy begins. I suppose from an outsider's viewpoint, there really is a sharp distinction, but when these switches become your every waking moment they start to blur together.  Flashes in space and time, where two events that may or may not have happened touch and in an instant become real, and fused. As inseparable as any two things have ever been. Good and evil. Light and dark.

     But I suppose that's not the point. I'm here to tell you my story and here it is:

     As far as I can tell, it starts (or it might as well start) on a cold rainy afternoon in my childhood. I was never very popular to begin with and didn't play with others my age often, but today I was especially bored with not even an arrant pick-up game of basketball I could slide awkwardly into to be seen. I retreated to my bedroom, where I often sat for hours, aimlessly doodling and reading and coloring. Imagining myself into a myriad of fantasy lands so vivid it would cure anybody's dullest feelings. However today my crayons and colored pencils looked almost grey, and all of my books seemed like droll text that not even the most vivid words could brighten up (and besides they were already ornamented for excitement, as childrens' books are apt to be). Everything was off. It was then when the whole world seemed to shimmer around me, and for a moment in time everything flashed. There was a landscape so brilliant and dynamic that there are no words for some of the things I saw there, colors that don't exist here, images that would haunt me for the rest of my life flashed before my eyes. The world snapped back into focus, the world I had up until that moment considered the sharpest reality. Unchallengeable as the one that holds true. But then...

     From that day forward, nothing quite seemed the same. All the colors were as dull as that rainy Saturday in my childhood. Actions limp and emotions greyed out, nothing was really real anymore. It seemed like a facade, to hide the real world hiding just beyond the paper cut-outs I lived in. Of course, I didn't know how to describe it to anyone, not that they would have believed me anyway, so I just let on that my world had remained unchanged and continued about life mostly the same, but wistful for another life that I knew existed out there.
   

      Flash forward to now.


© 2010 WhatTact


Author's Note

WhatTact
I'm not even sure if this concept makes sense, but let's hope it does. If it doesn't, meh, it's not that great anyway! :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on October 1, 2010
Last Updated on October 1, 2010


Author

WhatTact
WhatTact

OH



About
I don't fancy myself much of a writer, but I occasionally write a little here and there. Mostly though, I read... and Lurk. (got rid of the "What I'm reading/writing" because it was a bit cheeky.) more..

Writing
That's Odd That's Odd

A Chapter by WhatTact


Pathetic. Pathetic.

A Poem by WhatTact