Still waiting (Hachiko)

Still waiting (Hachiko)

A Poem by Tasfia Islam
"

Inspired by the life story of Hachiko ..

"


little was he, lost and alone.
Somebody found him and gave him a bone..

He took him in his lap and walked to home,
And everyday he got hugs so warm..

Time ran fast as memories gathered,
He gave him all his love and never did he measured..

This little puppy found his world in that love,
And his affection towards his master quickly went above..



Years passed happily until 1 unfaithful day,
When his master breathed his last one and slowly gave away..

He was dead for all but not for him,
He waited for him till every dim..

Every evening at the train station,
He sat awaited without any hesitation..



Sitting alone on that pillar and thinking when he'll be returning,
Tears made his face sour but still not tired of waiting..

Years counted 1 to 9, winter changed to fall,
That little puppy became a dumpy old dog, still awaiting, slowly turned to a doll..


© 2015 Tasfia Islam


Author's Note

Tasfia Islam
This poem is based on a true story of a dog named hachi ( Hachiko )

In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo, took in Hachikō, a golden brown Akita, as a pet. During his owner's life, Hachikō greeted him at the end of each day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Each day for the next nine years, nine months and fifteen days, Hachikō awaited Ueno's return, appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.

Hachikō attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachikō and Professor Ueno together each day. Initial reactions from the people, especially from those working at the station, were not necessarily friendly. However, after the first appearance of the article about him on October 4, 1932 in Asahi Shimbun, people started to bring Hachikō treats and food to nourish him during his wait.

Hachikō died on March 8, 1935, and was found on a street in Shibuya.[7] In March 2011, scientists settled the cause of death of Hachikō: the dog had terminal cancer and a filaria infection.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my Goodness!! I'm a sucker for anything to do with dogs, but this story is so sweet. Your telling of the story kept all of the emotion and cuteness; very well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Oh thank you so much dear... :)
this is such a touching story in poem form.
nicely done, you really capture the spirit of this wonderfully loyal dog.

jacob

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

:) well, maybe..... Thanks a lot.... :)
BANG !!
you got me Annabelle. This is gorgeous.
Thanks so much for posting this beautiful writing.
:')


Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Oh thank you so much.... I'm so glad u liked it.. :)
I like the way you have given your respect. A dog won not just my heart but also many others. Good write and a good tribute

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thank you... :)
very well written tribute..............
it was a sad and touching story/incident.
i loved the poem!!!
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thanks... :)
I have seen the movie, and let me just say, no other movie made me cry like this one. It is so damn hard to believe that this dog actually waited nine years for his owner (who was dead) to return. Dogs truly do feel, and when they love, they LOVE.

This was a very touching, heartfelt piece. And yes, it did sadden me to look at the pictures, knowing this dog had a tragic death. Excellent job on inserting images of Hachiko between the stanzas. I think this is the first time I see this in a poem on here. Kind of a creative outlet there.

Thank you for sharing! Enjoyed every word it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thank you....
I loved the way you just so brilliantly worked on the story and changed it into another breathtaking poetry piece. I was totally teary at the last part .! ...this one is my new fav. frm ya collection i guess. Thanx for such a beautiful share . ( some how it reminds me of a story we read in 8 th grade '' B1 '' remember? )

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Yeah, thanks a lot.... :)
Wow. This was beautiful!! I love how you were inspired by the story:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thank you... :)
Cool Girl

9 Years Ago

Welcome! :)
What a story. Beautiful told in your poem. :) Rudi

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much... :)
Is it a real story, haven't heard about that, great.
But Anna this write was the best write from you, loved the way you used the creativity with amazing graphics and beautiful heartfelt words. And I like the writers who know how to run the mind and feel the heart simultaneously.
Keep it up. Bravo.

armin. ..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tasfia Islam

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much....and yeah, it is a real story. If u are interested, u can know more about it on .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1523 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on January 19, 2015
Last Updated on January 19, 2015

Author

Tasfia Islam
Tasfia Islam

About
I'm a girl......just a girl with lot of characters....I passed 15 years of my life and felt the sweetness and bitterness of this teenage.......Soon, i'll be 16 yrs......a lot of things are waiting for.. more..

Writing
You You

A Poem by Tasfia Islam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..