Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost

A Story by Tracie D'Angelo

Paradise Lost


     He has been an occupant for over six months. Alone he lives in his exile. He is warm. He is sheltered from the miseries of life. No knowledge he has of eccentric things. He knows only the basics of life.

     He views his surroundings with a love a mother gives her child. Such a deep sense of belonging he feels. He curls against a corner and looks around. Soon his lease will be up and he will have to leave the place that he has considered home for so long. A silent tear runs down his face; to be so lucky for such a short time. God give me the strength to start a new life.

     Last minute arrangements must be made. A vacancy his home was once and it shall be again. How sad it is to leave a place that you have grown to love. If only he could take a little part with him. A memory would do. Everything must go and he’ll never return. He can not remember moving in. Just always being there. A world is awaiting him. He must go to meet them. So many unknowns and so much to learn. A strong sense of fear urges him to take one last look around.

     “We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams” he thinks to himself.

     He takes a deep breath and makes his first and last journey forward out into the bright lights and the chill of the real world into the hands of masked faces and sterile surroundings. Screaming in pain of all he’s lost. Not yet realizing the bounty before him. A cache of knowledge and a lifetime of taking all he wants from life and making it his own. The world is his pearl and this oyster has made a voyage from his tiny asylum into a world of realization. His blank slate may now be filled, for wrapped in swaddling blankets, a child has been born.

© 2011 Tracie D'Angelo


Author's Note

Tracie D'Angelo
Yes, another oldie! One of my favorites!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
Added on August 4, 2010
Last Updated on January 22, 2011

Author

Tracie D'Angelo
Tracie D'Angelo

Annapolis, MD



About
I'm a 45 year old mom of 2 teens in Maryland (US). I work as an asst. librarian at our local elementary school. I also review books and write the blog for a local book store. I've just revamped my own.. more..

Writing