Grandma's Hands

Grandma's Hands

A Story by TommyD
"

Written when my Grandma Ware died . . . she had a life well lived.

"

 

It was pretty much the same routine, this last year with Grandma, when I was staying with her or just visiting.

“Hey Grandma,” I always said, “so good to see you.”

“Good to see you again, Tom.” 

          She always had a big smile, and until recently, would get up from where she was, sometimes very slowly.

“Got one for me?”

And with a kiss and a hug she would once again share her love the best way she knew how.

“So, how do you feel today Grandma” I would always ask.

And it never failed that she would catch me off guard with her response, “With both hands, Tom, with both hands.”

        

Grandma’s hands, now eighty years passed, have felt so much.

They grew up in hard times, the depression -- no doubt they helped to shield her from the struggle life had to offer her childhood. She told me how as a young woman, they made and sold her now perfected “better than ice cream” potato salad at the local grocery store to make extra money for her family,

They won the heart and strong muscles of her high school sweetheart, who became her life-long partner and personal hero, John Ware.  She followed him around the globe in defense of this country.  Her hands always busy helping in every way they could. 

Her hands caressed the newborn skin of her three children, and later her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, her hope for the future.

They worked tirelessly for her family. They worked at military bases, volunteered in times of war, sold goods at the Big-Bear grocery store, or the local Hallmark. They made the pre-dawn coffee for the racing crew and made ham sandwiches to go with the victory milk.

They turned the pages of her bible and were folded in prayer.

They ate at Anthony’s and Tony’s and The Oak Table and Gwennie’s. She especially loved anywhere that had good crispy hash-brown potatoes.

And, in the end, they were there for the holding, and hugging, which were her trademarks.  A bundle of love, teaching how God would have us live life. 

Accepting all who came to sit with her to enjoy some quiet music, a meal, a ball game, or just a peaceful time on the couch.  Never lazy or tired, just relaxed or resting.


Now resting in God’s hands.

 

So, if you ask how I feel today, saying goodbye to Grandma, I could tell you that I am sad and tired and lonely, but I think I will take a page from Grandma’s book and respond as she would: 

 

How do I feel?  With both hands.

 

You see, I think I finally got it.  It was her way of saying

Life has so much to offer,

we all got problems and mine are not worth mentioning.

Take hold of what’s in front of you. 

I am here.

      We are here together and what else could we want in this moment.

© 2011 TommyD


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on February 26, 2011
Last Updated on February 26, 2011

Author

TommyD
TommyD

Chandler, AZ



About
I write for a living as an attorney. But, legal briefs do not weave the type of magic that inspires. I have always wanted to put my skills to a more meaningful purpose, like the purpose I feel from .. more..

Writing
Canning 2000 Canning 2000

A Poem by TommyD


Arctic Prayer Arctic Prayer

A Poem by TommyD