The Headphones

The Headphones

A Story by Teamsassafrass
"

Quirky short story of sister caring for her brother!

"

   I’ve decided to talk to Henry. Like, actually talk to him. I just want to go up to his room, and talk to him. I like Henry. Hopefully he likes me still, but that’s not the point. I’m worried about him. Every day and every night he goes through his life with his headphones on. Quietly listening to his music as he sits on his bed. Just listening.

   Mom makes him his favorite meal every day, which is cottage cheese with a peach on top and chocolate milk on the side. I think its nasty but he seems to enjoy eating it every day of the week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don’t even like to smell the cottage cheese anymore. Anyways, you wanna know why I want to talk to Henry? A week ago I was cleaning up his room -since he’s so lazy- and I heard him squeak out,  

   “The music I listen to is different than yours, Shannon.”

   I could barely even hear him. That night, mom, dad and I had a discussion of the interaction I’d just had with my little brother. My mother started to smile when she heard the news, “He talked to you? Sweetie that’s great! I know now that things are going to get better I just have a hunch!” She said as she started to tear up. She’s been saying the same thing for the past four years now, so I just smiled and finished off the rest of my soup.

   Hoping that maybe mom was right I opened Henry’s door, and once again the strong, disgusting smell of cottage cheese emanated from the walls and floors. I cringed and smiled towards Henry.

“Hey Henry.” I said, sitting down on the floor, that was still clean from last week. “Man, your finally cleaning your own room aren’t you?” I joked trying to make him laugh, didn’t work. He just kept staring at his knees, listening to his music.

I soon became a bit uncomfortable, “Henry when is this going to stop? Is your music really that important to you? More than me, more than mom? Your on my mind every single day! I constantly worry about you. What do you want us to do? The hospital did nothing, maybe made it worse.” I came up closer to him, “Why don’t you say the thging you said last week huh? While I was cleaning up your room hmm?” I paused for a moment, nothing. I began to get impatient. “How about I reenact it ok? Sound good? Ok I’m cleaning up your room Henry! Look at all these dirty clothes better go put them in the closet! You wanna say any-”

I stood still. In shock. All over the closet was cottage cheese. The whole floor of the closet was buried in it.

“Have you been- Dumping the cottage cheese out Henry?!” I questioned, with a look of disgust. The smell became like acid in my nose.

“HENRY?!” I screamed starting to get scared. “HENRY WHY IS THIS HERE?! ANSWER ME HENRY!!” No use, he just kept staring down at his knees.

I ran towards him, “TAKE THOSE GODDAMN HEADPHONES OUT!” I yelled, ripping the headphones out of his ears. I stared at him, my face red with tears. I put the headphones to my ears and I fell down to the floor silently as I let the headphones drop to the floor. Bawling from what I heard.

The noise I had heard was nothing. Henry was listening to no music.

© 2014 Teamsassafrass


Author's Note

Teamsassafrass
Constructive Criticism is valued!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. This was gripping. I especially loved how you the story built. From mundane cottage cheese to a conflict to confrontation. Although, I'd want a little more finesse. There is a couple of grammatical errors and that is not an attractive quality in a write up. Nevertheless, great story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Teamsassafrass

10 Years Ago

Thanks! Much appreciated!



Reviews

Wow. This was gripping. I especially loved how you the story built. From mundane cottage cheese to a conflict to confrontation. Although, I'd want a little more finesse. There is a couple of grammatical errors and that is not an attractive quality in a write up. Nevertheless, great story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Teamsassafrass

10 Years Ago

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 2, 2014
Last Updated on March 2, 2014
Tags: Odd, Touching

Author

Teamsassafrass
Teamsassafrass

Moorpark, CA



About
Hi my name is Kate and I am 15 years old. I've been writing for practically all of my life and I usually like to write (very) short stories! more..

Writing
Extreme Zero Extreme Zero

A Screenplay by Teamsassafrass