Twice Shy

Twice Shy

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

"No, Cujo, no !" the man screamed and ran all the faster toward me. I couldn't move... there was nowhere to hide. I was frozen in place as if bolted to the ground.

"

Twice Shy

      

 

 

     Dogs have always found me a good smell. Big ones, little ones, spoiled or homeless they all like me. They can tell I'm a fan so they follow me everywhere and as a result I think only the best of them... much to my detriment.

 

     A case in point... a couple of months or so ago I was in Riverside looking for a stubborn water leak. There was no outward sign of water anywhere... the toilets didn't leak... no drips from bath or kitchen faucets... no puddles on the ground ... no weeds conspicuously growing in one small area in a vast dirt yard and yet the meter was spinning like a top.

 

     I was stumped. It had to be under the building, it was the only logical explanation left.

 

      Lost in my head in the effort of solving this little problem,  I leaned over the four foot chain link fence for a closer look without any thought of self preservation. Without so much as a hint to his existence I was instantly met with a 95 pound pit bull charging straight for me.

 

      I was stunned as the brute jumped into the air in an effort to get to me, lunging for my throat.   I jerked back, suddenly overcome by panic.

 

     Time seemed to slow to a stop as the beast's hot breath and spittle washed over my face and I turned away. To my shock, in that instant, its teeth grazed my neck.  Relief and  terror filled me simultaneously as its mouth snapped closed on my chest, ripping my shirt and skin alike.  Before I could react to the sudden gush of blood soaking me the monster shook its head tearing my flesh with unbelievable ease, filling me with its true intent and pain.

 

     Then after a couple of weeks with a new shirt and a dozen stitches I found myself in  Rialto repairing a broken water line.  Upon finishing I had gathered up my tools and made for my truck. No sooner had I closed the gate and stepped out into the street when a man shouted....  "Cujo !"

   

     I froze in place.

 

     "Cujo !" he screamed a second time.

 

     I looked about wildly but saw nothing.

 

     "Cujo !" he screamed again and began to run in my direction. "Mister, my dog... look out for my dog !"

 

     My heart jumped in my chest as I frantically looked about and then suddenly it came... the jiggling sound of a dog tag.  With the all too familiar sound filling the air my head was crammed with the memory of my earlier experience and my stitches ached.

 

    "No, Cujo, no !" the man screamed and ran all the faster toward me.

 

    I couldn't move... there was nowhere to hide. I was frozen in place as if bolted to the ground.

 

    Then, to my shock, from around the front of my truck the creature appeared.... a toy Chihuahua no bigger than your average kitten.

 

    "It's my wife's dog. The damn thing runs away every time the door's open...  I was afraid you wouldn't see him and would run the little b*****d over," he explained as he adjusted the tiny creature's spiked collar.   "My wife would kill me if anything happened to him."

  

    It’s true what they say... “Once bitten, twice shy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2013 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
Another good story by you. I wasn't entirely sure where the story was going at first which is not a bad thing really. I did really like the end where the opposite of what was expected to happened occurred.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm not a dog person...or a pet person for that matter, but I truly enjoyed reading this story. This is entertaining! I loved this hilarious piece....pit bulls are scary, but the chihuahua is Cute! Well penned!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

11 Years Ago

Thank you Robbie... I always enjoy hearing from you !
Funny.
I guess after your experience with that vicious pit bull, you'd have every reason to freeze at a cry of "Cujo!"
An ironic name for a Chihuahua.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the read ! Glad you found it funny... it didn't seem that way at the time !
Marie

11 Years Ago

I suppose it wouldn't.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1144 Views
13 Reviews
Added on September 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 25, 2013
Tags: Twice Shy, Dogs, dog bites, Pit bull, spike collar, water

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing