The Traveler

The Traveler

A Story by Alexander Loux
"

A tale of a traveler

"

            The tavern was full of people. It was surprising for this time of night. Everyone was quietly chatting till the door burst open, filling the room with wind and silence. The door slammed shut as the traveler, caked with snow, walked in. Stumbling to the fireplace the people slowly began to chat again and go back to their business, ignoring the poor traveler.

            Pulling out his book and quill he began to write. As he wrote mists swirled before him till it wasn’t a spiral of air but a single girl. She was as beautiful as she was mysterious. Her skin was pale and her hair white. She wore nothing but a plain, white dress. Staring at him intently with her icy blue eyes she asked, “What? Aren’t you done yet?”

            Sighing the traveler lifted his gaze to her. As his fire eyes met hr blue he answered, “I’m working on it,” and returned to his writing. Looking around he noticed that none in the tavern could see her, confirming his suspicions that she was not of this world.

            “If you don’t finish…”

            “I’m working on it okay?” he hissed, his voice slightly louder.

            “Keep it down,” said a guard glaring in his direction.

            Cursing his self silently for attracting attention he asked, “What’s up?”

            “If you’re nice to me, I’ll tell you,” answered the girl, crossing her arms stubbornly.

            “Sorry, maybe some other time.”

            “Hey! If it’s not finished we’ve lost… How long before…?”

            “Soon,” he said. Looking at her gently he asked, “Can you…?”
            “Yeah, but can you…?”

            The two stared at each other, each unmoving till the girl sighed and faded away to the mists. The traveler sighed till he saw more mists swirling till a man was there. He wore black armor. Under darker hair two cold, green eyes stared at him. Like before the others could not see him.

            “She’s not going to,” the man said glaring at the traveler, “Don’t say I told you, but she told me.”

            “Really?” the traveler asked looking up at him.

            “You bet. Told me here self,” he said. Eying his book he asked, “You?”

            “No can do.”

            “She talked to you?” he asked, his green eyes full of silent anger.

            “She talked about you… and laughed.”

            “Hey, I got something for you…” the man said while pulling out his large sword.

            Un-wavered the traveler smiled and put down his quill while saying, “You got a minute?”

            Looking at him curiously the man put down his sword and said, “Not exactly…” Looking now scared, he asked, “I hope you’re not…”

            Closing his book the traveler smiled widely and said, “Yeah? So?”

© 2011 Alexander Loux


Author's Note

Alexander Loux
This is meant for you to come up with your own interpretation. It's meant to be mysterious.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
Added on February 11, 2011
Last Updated on February 11, 2011
Tags: traveler, spirit, book, mystery