Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
MEETING MOTHER 1962

MEETING MOTHER 1962

A Story by Terry Collett
"

A BOY AND GIRL AND THE MEETING OF HER MOTHER IN 1962.

"


Shoshana waits by the bus stop shed told her mother she was going to the village shop and her mother said to get a small list of items which were not too heavy but as she was going there she might as well get them now she has to go to the shop and buy the items and get back to the bus stop in time to see if Naaman actually does turn up as he said he would at school the previous day the bus stop is by the village green where in summer cricket matches are played and in winter football is played between local teams Shoshana isnt over happy that Naaman is coming to the village to see her not because she doesnt want to see him because she does but because of the smallness of the village where everyone knows each others business or tried to do and she knew that if she was seen with a boy around the village it would be reported back to her mother before the sunset but she didnt want to put Naaman off coming in case he thought she didnt want to see him when she did and she didnt want to try and explain about the nosiness of the village as it may have appeared as small-mindedness- she stands at the bus stop with the small bag of items at her feet looking in the direction the bus will come Mrs Crabshaw was waiting there too her thin features and narrow eyes made her witch-like despite the fact that her husband Mr Crabshaw is the church warden Shoshana looks away from her and stares in the direction of the hill where the bus will come going into town? Mrs Crabshaw asks her no Im waiting for someone Shoshana says o I see Mrs Crabshaw says a relative? no Shoshana says a friend of mine o thats good it is good to have friends Mrs Crabshaw says the bus comes over the hill and Shoshana is glad but also nervous as she will be seeing Naaman alone on her own ground not at school not surrounded by other kids the bus draws up at the stop and a few people get off the last one is Naaman who is dressed in a blue tee shirt and blue jeans and black battered shoes hi Shoshana he says she nods and smiles unsure what to say watching Mrs Crabshaws beady eyes staring at Naaman as she got on the bus the bus drives off and Mrs Crabshaw was gazing out of the back window of the bus so this is your village Naaman says small and quaint isnt it she watches the bus go out of sight yes it is a bit she says turning her gaze to Naaman he is smiling that Elvis smile(other girls had told her at school) is there a coffee bar we can go to? he asks no not a coffee shop but there is a tea shop over the green but its a bit old fashion she says I see he says looking around him I best take you home with me she says otherwise it will be all around the village before  my mum knows Ive been seeing you ok if thats ok with you he says is she expecting me? not exactly but Im sure shell be pleased to see you Shoshana  says uncertain if her mother will but knowing she must show him and explain or it will be worse if her mother finds out by gossip they walk along a narrow road off from the village green and she is silent not sure what to say he walks beside her taking in the scenery you didnt mind me coming here did you? he asks out of the blue no of course not its just that I havent mentioned you yet to my parents and Im not sure quite what to say she says  o I see he says Im sure it will be ok parents are only concerned about their childrens friends and welfare I guess so she says  they come to the cottages the left hand side where she lives with her parents and she opens the gate and he follows her in and they come to the front door and she opens up and go into the passageway Im back Shoshana says and I have brought a friend with me she adds looking along the passage hoping her mother will come out from the kitchen there is silence maybe shes out Naaman says no she was here a while ago Shoshana says Naaman looks around the passageway the door at the end opens and her mother comes in from the garden o youre back then her mother says and who is this? Shoshana blushes Im Naaman a friend of your daughter Naaman says nodding and smiling o I see her mother says eyeing Naaman carefully then at her daughter a school friend Shoshana says hes a boy her mother says yes he is Shoshana says youve not mentioned a boy before her mother says not known each other long Naaman says we share an interest in birds and butterflies and such o I see Shoshanas mother says Shoshana feels ill at ease I got the items from the shop you wanted she says put them in the kitchen then her mother says eyeing her daughter you best come into the kitchen Naaman her mother says cant have you standing in the passageway all the time can we o no right Naaman says I like the colour of the walls compared to the doors they have a good link to the eyes do they? the mother says yes Naaman says have a homely feel relaxing kind of thing the mother stares at her daughter I see the mother says tea? do you drink tea? walking into the kitchen Shoshana puts the items on a sideboard and sits at the table and Naaman sits opposite her I drink tea he says but without sugar he adds looking at the mother and smiling Shoshana feels unsure of how things are going but it is nice that at last Naaman is there with her and only a few inches away from and now her mother knows and that is just the beginning of matters after Naaman has gone the interrogation will begin the questions will be asked and needed to be answered and she knows her mother will tell her father and they will say to her you are just a young girl of fourteen too soon to be thinking of boys and why did he come here? now it will be all around the village and you know how people will talk and so on and so the mother makes tea in a teapot putting the items away in cupboards with her back to them Naaman reaches across the table and holds her hand in his then lifts her hand to his lips and kisses it gently and she blushes and smiles and feels an opening up inside her and a new world begin expand sensing the kiss on the back of her hand.

© 2015 Terry Collett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on August 4, 2015
Last Updated on August 4, 2015
Tags: BOY, GIRL, MOTHER, VILLAGE, 1962

Author

Terry Collett
Terry Collett

United Kingdom



About
Terry Collett has been writing since 1971 and published on and off since 1972. He has written poems, plays, and short stories. He is married with eight children and eight grandchildren. on January 27t.. more..

Writing