Saints and Soldiers

Saints and Soldiers

A Story by ThatOneBadWriter
"

(Don't worry, it's a temporary title!) this story is unfinished, and I'm not really expecting to make it a full story, but it's to write and I enjoy making these things. Please criticise and advise!

"
'Stop!' She shouted, the squad looked tired, almost irritated, but Rend heard something. Something in her voice, as she looked out at the sea of monstrosities converging on him. Rend sighed, he drew the twin blades given to each of them by their different patrons. His owner patron stood behind him, though they wouldn't know that she was. In their eyes he had just stepped in to protect his comrade, and they had thought it a foolish and illogical choice. But back to the problem at hand. Ella hadn't sounded remotely desperate or pleading, she sounded... commanding. As if she was addressing her own personal army. In that second Rend realised, this wasn't Ella. He suddenly remembered, Ella, the young girl who had been unknowingly used as bait. It wasn't their intent to put her in harms way, but it was an easy thing to happen, and they knew it. He remembered Ella, the girl who was terrified of everything, but walked forwards without hesitation when told to, for the sake of her squad. He remembered how she had disappeared in a horrific scene, how they had found her swords, the ones bound to each of them in duty and service, to never leave their side until their servitude for life was complete. He remembered her death, and now he watched as she commanded the things trying to tear him apart. 'I said stop!' She screamed, her voice trembling from the force she was trying to speak with. 'In the name of Black, stop or be obliterated!' The rest of the squad was looking on now, some realising that this was no ordinary sentence, it was practically an execution now. But who's was it? One piece of the puzzle. Alice. She rose into the air, hair flying behind her, eyes glowing, hands twitching. Rend recognised it, she had overpowered her own muscles.
'Alice, stop.' Rend commanded. The order caught her off guard, the second she took she process his sudden authority stance had wasted enough time for the power to fizzle from herself to the ground, leaving wide streaks in every direction, swirling crescents singed into the ground, rocks melted, earth churning, grass lighting lines of fire around the patterns. The second piece, Rend. He also flew into the air, but his was an arc, he suddenly plummeted to the ground, the crunch that they had expected was silenced by a resounding explosion. A shockwave spread out like a pool of water, the black beasts stretched like elastic, their claw like fingers digging into the ground to avoid being thrown into the air, those that didn't lose grip or disintegrated were ripped from the ground. Then the swords that Rend wielded now swung out of his grip, their hilts melting into the golden chains that protruded now from Rend's hand, swing around them in a circle. Alice fell to the ground as a sword swung through her, not having any effect. It cut like butter, leaving no mark. The third piece, Ella. Whoever she was, she screamed. The sound emanating from her mouth was louder than the jet engine-like booming from Rend's swords, or the crackling and hissing from the seated ground around Alice, the sound that she made had a sonic-boom effect on the creatures surrounding them. She leapt down from the bridge, everything around her peeled back. The shambling monstrosities cowered and ran, those that stayed were razed, dust falling like rain. Then three shots fired in the shocked silence, each hitting their mark directly in the neck. Rend saw the long, red dart as it came, and sheathed his swords. All three of them fell.

'Wake the hell up.' Rend sat bolt upright, his hand immediately on his swords, the man towering above him backed away quickly, he heard the distinct clicking of machinery within the walls and realised where he was.
'Interrogation room V17 has a blind spot.' He stated, moving his chair backwards and tilting back on it.
'Wha-? how did-'
'Move aside.' Came the sharp, clear voice of the woman behind the large soldier. He quickly left the room, revealing the intended interrogator. A woman with a light blue tinted uniform, cobalt blue armour protecting select weak spots, a long rapier sheathed. 'Rend Crystal. Who and what are you?' She looked directly into his eyes, and he saw her ice blue eyes shift. They changed from piercing, slightly on-edge look, to a cold and calculating stare.
'As you said, I am Rend, in servitude of the Crystal Family.'
'The family consisting of only one person and their patron.' The woman sighed. 'I've heard of it. And I know its Patron when I see her. Your squad says that they witnessed you display powers beyond even your patron's capabilities. How is this?'
'You only need a confession, and I'm willing to give one.' Rend shrugged. 'Skip this information-squeezing and tell me what your family think.' The woman sighed and sat on the opposite chair.
'Very well. The Themis Family believes that you yourself are one of the Patron Saints.' Rend snorted, causing the woman to glare at him again.
'Hah, I'm no Patron Saint, although I was born to one.'
'One? So you are a Demi-Saint?' The woman frowned. 'This is unprecedented.'
'I can't become a Patron, I don't see why it's so great.'
'It's not. But that doesn't make it any less rare and interesting. What happened then, when you displayed your power?'

'I had fallen from the bridge.' Alice began, her interrogator slightly unnerved by their task of extracting information from a Saint.
'A-and then?'
'And then a was surrounded by the wretched, I couldn't have dealt with them, but as it turned out their were three Saints in the squad.'
'Three?' The man sighed, becoming more annoyed than nervous.
'Yes, I didn't know that either was though. Rend came to protect me, and I thought that he was just a follower- well, I don't mean- never mind. I didn't know that he had powers too, so I tried to protect him, but he stopped me, then... then he started using his powers, a shockwave and golden chains. Hephaestus qualities.
'Among other possible Saint parents, yes.' The man nodded. 'What about the third?'
'Ella. She tried to stop the wretched from attacking us, I think she was one of the Black Family Patrons. Come to think of it though, I also think she died. Two months ago. Less than a week into the field, I don't... I don't think I know who Ella actually is.' She finished quietly.
'Ah. Well then. I think I have everything then. Oh, but what powers came from yourself and the other?'

'Alice tried to use rending magic.' Ella said factually, unemotionally. 'Ironically, Rend stopped her. Afterwards, I used the Black Patrons' powers, none other.'
'Good, and finally, who are you?' The tall, armoured man looked down at her, he was dressed in a similar blue, and she knew which Family he was from, and how to respond.
'I am unable to respond.' She said simply, a formal and factual response. One that a member of the Themis Family couldn't disagree with.'
'Fine.' He sighed. 'As an unknown entity, you are placed in the custody of the Crystal Family.'

Rend stood at the steps of the Marble Palace, that was only its name of course, as it was neither made of marble nor a palace. It was a small church made of white stone, old, but preserved because of the current resident, a Saint. The pews had been stacked, forming a wall with which they had made into a room, Alice sat inside this room, on the cheap bed, her head resting on her knees. Rend appeared in the doorway.
'Hi.' He said said quietly.
'Hello.' Alice mumbled. 'What happened?' It was a loaded question, he knew what she was asking, but there was so much to explain.
'I... I'm a Saint, as I guess you've probably figured out.'
'Yes.' Alice nodded, waiting.
'Half Saint, technically, I can't start a Patron Family.'
'But you still pledged mine.' Alice stated.
'Yes.'
'Why?' She asked simply. 'You didn't need the money, not that there is any, or the title.'
'Because I wanted to I suppose.' Rend frowned, Alice looked up at him, her eyes widened slightly. 'Because nobody else even wanted me in a Family. Yours was open, and you wanted me. I guess I liked that, and I liked spending time with you.' Alice was smiling now, reassured. Rend knew exactly how to push her buttons, he hadn't lied, and hadn't tried to persuade her, but he knew her reactions by now.
'We started as Family, but I consider you family.' Alice recited, it had been their motto, sort of at least. Rend smiled as well.
'Will this change everything?' He asked.
'No.' Alice said firmly. 'I don't want it to.' Rend grinned as she jumped forwards, hugging him in a leap that sent him into the wall. This happened a lot, she had stopped for a while after realising from experience that he could twist and fall onto her, but had recently began it again. Rend staggered as she also wrapped her legs around him, he was sure by now that she kept doing this to test his stability and strength, he put his arms under her and started walking forwards, when she realised that her weight wasn't enough to bring him down, she
-UNFINISHED-

© 2017 ThatOneBadWriter


Author's Note

ThatOneBadWriter
This is my first story on this, but not my first overall, don't hold back criticism, I don't think I can get the language right. It keeps being too complicated and olden or too 'fluff' and simplistic. Also, this is very loosely based on 'Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon' and 'Attack On Titan' the animes. Watch them! Also the picture is taken from the first anime because it's the closest match I can find, the characters don't actually look like that though.I don't claim any credit for the picture.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wellllll, to be honest it reminds me a bit of Percy Jackson, which I loved as a kid, but the older I get the less I enjoy it. I still like this a good deal though. Great job :)

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2017
Last Updated on June 13, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, Ancient, Family, Adventure

Author

ThatOneBadWriter
ThatOneBadWriter

Fleet, Hampshire, United Kingdom



About
I'm literally just a random beginner writer, I'm just having fun writing whatever comes to mind, but I'll try to write well and I still want criticism or advice as much as possible! more..

Writing