Promises

Promises

A Story by Mica Cornejo
"

This is a story about an old woman and her first and last love.Find out what happens by reading this short story of mine.I hope you'll like it!

"

    A spark of hope lit up my world.Just a spark.A light bulb among a hundred lit up when you held my hand and told me you'll never leave me.When you said those words,I was in heaven.Rainbows appeared and i saw unicorns frolicking just around the corner.The sun rose.Rain faded away.Everything was joy."I'll never leave you",this was your promise.

 

       I trusted you.I held on to your every word.I was relieved because after a long while,someone finally cared for me.You see,no one has ever told me that before,not even my parents becaue they passed away early so I was left alone with my lola.I believed your words and I became happy.

 

       The days went on but we stayed happy together despite the annoying errands of my lola,the daily harrassment of the bullies.We laughed at jokes and talked about different things.I can still smell the sweet stench of your sweat,I smell it whenever the wind blows and i lie on the sand.The carabao race,planting in the ricefields and late-night strolls iby the seashore are times I remember,moments I reminisce.There were down days but we forget them as if they never occurred and we just went on living our lives.

 

       You were my only refuge,my haven,my shield.You comforted me whenever lola terats me cruelly.I love how you put your arms around me.I love how you pat my head while soothing me.Just a sight of you and I smile.Just one touch of your hand and the tears go away.Every second is worth spending with you.You have touched a part of my heart and never will I forget that.

 

       The years went on and we grew up.Unlike other girls who were usually consciuos and embarrassed and shy around guys,I was very comfortable with you.Do you remember June 19,1954? Because I still do.That was the day your lips touched mine for the first time.You put your hands around my waist,looked me straight in the eye,pulled me closer and kissed me.It was magical.I felt like I was floating in the sk with the moon,stars and clouds around me.I was mesmerized by your lips.That moment was enchanting.

 

       Emilia,Emilia,Emilia.I loved hearing the sound of my name on your lips and I love saying your name.Lorenzo,Lorenzo. You.Me.Forevermore.

 

       I thought that this would last forever.How I wish it would but lo,nothing lasts forever and true enough,you disappeared.

 

      Last time I heard from you,you were seen carrying a baby while walking to church with a tall and slender lady.Your promise echoed in my head when I heard this."I'll never leave you ..",you once said.I haven't heard from you ever since.

 

       I am now 71 years old.My head is now filled with streaks of white hair.My skin is now rough and my teeth,only 7.My eyesight is now weak and poor.God knows when I'll have my last glimpse of this world.But there's never a day that I don't walk by the seashore.I can still see the footprints we left behind when we were running on the wet sand and as I watch the sunset,one thing snaps me out of this dream and hurts me the most: You broke your promise.You forgot,I did not but when you remember me,don't forget to come by the seashore where we used to play,I'll be lying on the wet sand,with the wind blowing through my hair and the seawaters reaching for me,still anticipating for your long-awaited return ..

© 2011 Mica Cornejo


Author's Note

Mica Cornejo
Please correct my grammar problems,after all,I'm here to learn,right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Added on December 6, 2011
Last Updated on December 16, 2011

Author

Mica Cornejo
Mica Cornejo

Batangas, 4, Philippines



About
I write poems, short stories, feature articles and a lot more.I am still learning and I hope that this site can help me with that. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Mica Cornejo