Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A Chapter by Blue Ivory

Somehow in all of her troubles, and the mess that her life was, Melissa had managed to make some really good friends. They were great people. They loved her, and she loved them. They all took care of each other, always had each others' backs. Melissa didn't know what she would do without them. They were all that she looked forward to. Every time she was with them, she would delay going home by as much as possible, knowing what was awaiting her when she would.

 

Olivia had been the reason for it all. She got lucky on that first day of school, finding someone as kind as her. The new friends she had made, they were all Olivia's friends originally. She had a habit of taking people in. Melissa wasn't all that social before. It was Olivia who had told her how "awesome" she was and that she should talk to people more often. Melissa told her she felt she already had all the friends she needed. But this new friend of hers showed her that there is always room for more.

 

One thing she knew for sure was that there was a No Depression Policy with her new friends. She knew if she talked about her problems with them, they would not be interested in her anymore. They weren't vain enough to not like her for her poverty. But they wouldn't handle baggage-as one would call it-so Melissa had to be careful about how much she let on to them about herself. Sometimes she thought about how lucky they were. Ignorance is bliss. They were blind to the grief of losing the life of a 'typical teenager" and having to pretend it was still there.

 

Ever since she met Olivia, she had become a lot more approachable. When she walked into the school, she would wave at people, as they would wave first. She had many people to sit with at lunch. She would never feel lonely. Even when she was at home, her friends would text her. For as long as her phone had power at least. So the silence was drowned by the sound of pressing keys. That, and her uncle Martin's big screen TV which he had brought with him, and would be watching whenever he got the chance. He called that TV his soul mate. Melissa giggled every time she remembered it.

 

She was thankful for him having moved in. It had sprung much more life into her home. Hopefully once Martin bought her that iPhone, like he bribed her, she would be able to spend even more time with the people she loved. Melissa would avoid thinking about her mother as much as possible. Her friends were right to not talk about the negative. It was hard to do, and it only made one sad after, so there really was no point in it.

 

Melissa sat in her place behind the counter reading a magazine, knowing, that for another day, there would be no customers. Gabriella interrupted her, by telling her a story about her day. She watched her actions while the other girl spoke. She had a tendency to move her hands and her body around while she talked, and she told a lot of stories about herself that no one cared so much to hear about. And every once in a while, she would grin the largest grin in the world. Melissa could tell she had a big heart, and a pure conscience. She had a smile that would let you see into her soul. In a way she reminded her of Dory from Finding Nemo.

 

"My story ended a minute ago. What are you still smiling about?" Gabriella asked, crossing her arms.

 

"You remind me of Dory." Melissa said with a smirk.

 

"Dory? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming..." she started to sing. Melissa joined her. Gabriella had really helped her get past her insecurities of looking foolish. The two of them sang the song and danced about in there seats until they noticed Luke standing there with his phone out.

 

"I am so putting this on Youtube!" he said, laughing hard.

 

"S**t!" she exclaimed at Luke, then turning to Gabriella, "You were right, we should put a bell on that door!"

 

As she said that, all of her other friends poured in through the entrance.

 

"What are you guy doing here?" Melissa asked, confused.

 

"We're here to kidnap you!" Luke shouted happily like a little child. He really was cute sometimes. "And you too, if you're interested." he added to Gabriella.

 

"Hang on, I got this." Gabriella replied, with a pout and acquired attitude. "I appreciate the offer, but as you guys can see, we're working-"

 

"This place doesn't get business anyway!" Brian blurted insensitively. "No offense."

 

"Regardless." Gabriella made the talk-to-the-hand gesture that was so popular among her generation. "Anyway, Melissa is only off the hook-and you guys can kidnap her, rape her or gang rape her, whichever, all you please-if and only if you guys each buy something from the store." she batted her eyes while holding her pout. On her Latin features, they actually heightened her beauty.

 

"Pencils are alright...right? Cuz we need money for later." Olivia asked nervously.

 

"Sure!" Gabby replied with her signature grin.

 

And so they all purchased Pencils and pens, while Gabriella proudly collected the money, which wasn't much, but was all that they had made all week.

 

Getting into a big car after Olivia, Melissa smiled at Jack, Olivia's long time boyfriend, who owned the car. Melissa sat in the back seat between Luke and Brian.

 

"Where are we going, exactly?" Melissa asked for the final time.

 

"We're gonna watch Lincoln!" Brian said.

 

"Finally! Weren't we supposed to go last week?" Melissa rolled her eyes.

 

"I know! Oh well this is the only time we could all agree on. Hey, is Tommy working tonight?" Olivia asked her.

 

"Yes!" Melissa spoke, wide eyed.

 

"Well, look in the pocket behind my seat. I put a make up kit in there in case you wanna fix yourself up." Olivia smiled at her.

 

"You're a life saver!" Melissa told her. She proceeded to find the kit, and apply the make up to her face. Deciding this was a simple occasion, she settled for liquid make up and pink lip gloss, and fixed her hair. While she did, Luke and Brian made fun of her for being girly. They laughed their way to the movies, while enjoying Jack's good taste in music.

 

Melissa would look for any excuse to go to the movie theater. Due to busy schedules, she did not get to meet her boyfriend all that much. On this particular evening, when her turn came in the candy line, Tommy leaned on the counter with one elbow, using the other hand to tip an imaginary hat. Doing his best cowboy impression, he said "Hello there, pretty lady! Can I interest you in some sugar?" Now, Tommy had a very deep voice. So when he flirted with her like that, it sounded nothing but sexy.

 

 "Yes, please!" Melissa said laughing nervously.

Tommy grinned. Then he gripped Melissa by the shoulders and began to kiss her. This was followed by some hooting and a few "Oh, come on!"s from her friends standing behind her. Tommy pulled away.

"Oh look, you brought your little friends along! What would you guys like?" he laughed and said.

They had reached the hall a bit late, so it was already dark when they got in. They were really excited to see this movie, as they had heard so much about it on TV and Movie Reviewing websites. Olivia, especially, had been talking about it for the past two weeks. Unfortunately, the minute she sat down on her seat, her phone started to vibrate, and Melissa could hear her father shouting on the other end, telling her to come home. Olivia whispered to him that she would be on her way. When she hung up the phone, her face was pale, and her eyes full of tears, from what Melissa could tell in the darkness of the room.

"Umm...I have to go, you guys. Enjoy the movie." she said, her voice shaking.

"Why? What happened?" Melissa asked.

"Could you follow me to the  bathroom, maybe?"

"Sure..."

Once they reached the Women's Room, Olivia broke into tears, saying she was scared and did not know what to do. Melissa tried to comfort her.

"What happened?" she asked her.

"Mel, you know how Jack and I have been going out for 2 years, now?" Olivia asked, her eyes red like a rabbit's.

Melissa nodded.

"Well...we'd kinda decided that tonight was going to be...the night..." she spoke with hiccups, "and umm, my mom kinda found my stuff."

"Oh my god...I'm so sorry! Look it's going to be okay." she told her in as soothing a voice as she could manage.

"It was-it was perfect! My parents were gonna go to this thing, and they were weren't coming back till a long time later. I'm talking 2 or 3 in the morning! It was more than enough time to...well, you know." Olivia laughed with no humor in it. "I should've remembered to clean my room. Mom kept saying, if I didn't do it, she'd do it herself..." she began wiping away her own tears. Taking a deep breath, she said "Oh well, I guess there's nothing left to do except face the music..."

Melissa gave Olivia a tight hug and wished her luck. Then Olivia left the building and Melissa headed for the hall again, to finish watching the movie and explain to Jack what had happened. She would have to find a lie to tell all the others until Olivia decided what to tell them, herself.

And here I was feeling sorry for myself...


© 2013 Blue Ivory


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I`ve not followed the whole story, but after reading a part of this I recognise that this young lady (the Siren)can write. good layout, use of language, an intelligent running narrative that makes sense, good balance of narrative and dialogue, all done well !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blue Ivory

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) I will review you back as soon as I find the time.



Reviews

I`ve not followed the whole story, but after reading a part of this I recognise that this young lady (the Siren)can write. good layout, use of language, an intelligent running narrative that makes sense, good balance of narrative and dialogue, all done well !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blue Ivory

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) I will review you back as soon as I find the time.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Added on April 28, 2013
Last Updated on April 28, 2013


Author

Blue Ivory
Blue Ivory

Dhaka, Bangladesh



About
I am a sugarcoated wreck. A cupcake with a chipped human tooth baked inside it. I breathe out soot left behind by the corpses you tried to bury but I come to you served in a silver platter. A hot.. more..

Writing
Covered Covered

A Poem by Blue Ivory


My Body My Body

A Poem by Blue Ivory


Growth Growth

A Poem by Blue Ivory